Oceanic Pro Plus 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tresguey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I use a Suunto Favor right now and am looking for a new computer. I have been really looking at a Oceanic pro plus 2 w compass. Who has used these and what do you think of it? Or anyone else have any other computer ideas I should look at? I am a newb and figured this would be a good upgade to my current set up.

My husband has an Pro+2 (I have an Aeris AI which is essentially the same computer) and he loves it. He likes the BIG numbers that are easy to see underwater. We both like the air integration as all of our information is in one place, and with the compass, it's easy to use it and be able to see you computer all at the same time.

If you do go AI, get a quick disconnect. It'll make your life sooo much easier.

I was kinda looking at the Aeris AI but am leaning more towards the Oceanic because the screen seems bigger. I figured that would be good to see cuz im getting a little old lol.

I have a Pro Plus2. Have 50+ dives on it. Never had a problem. I have the compass and quick-doisconnect hose coupling. Easy to program. Big screen big seller for me.
On hindsight, I would have reconsiderd the compass. It does have the convenience of being there on the console but it is restrictive to use with the hose attached and makes i heavier (guess that is why some refer to the ProPlus2 as "the Brick"). The PC interface cable is expensive and a PIA to get the connection on the PC to download logs. Software for the PC has been upgraded, but still room for improvement.

Recomend you get the hose quick disconnect. A lot easier to handle the Plus2 when downloading on the PC (don't have to drag your regs in the house). Also recommend you invest in a good retractor to keep it tucked away and not dangling.

Well just bit the bullet and bought the Pro Plus 2 with quick disconnect. and along with the new BC "Ranger LTD" i purchases a few hours ago i now have a few new toys to play with. I did purchase the computer with the compass. i figured that i need a compass anyways and why not on the computer. i do have a pretty good retractor i have used for the old Favor im sure it will work well for the new computer. is there anythig else i should think about getting for the computer?

Tresguey:
Well just bit the bullet and bought the Pro Plus 2 with quick disconnect. and along with the new BC "Ranger LTD" i purchases a few hours ago i now have a few new toys to play with. I did purchase the computer with the compass. i figured that i need a compass anyways and why not on the computer. i do have a pretty good retractor i have used for the old Favor im sure it will work well for the new computer. is there anythig else i should think about getting for the computer?

The Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with a compass is fairly heavy and if your retractor fails consider a big brass or stainless steel bolt snap. Attach it with a two or three zip ties at the base of the computer and then clip it off to a D-ring on your chest. It makes viewing easy and it's easy to look at without having to use your hands.

I have three Oceanic Pro Plus computers and my wife, son and I have logged several hundred dives with no problems. I just change the battery once a year at a cost of about $15 a pop.

You will need to read the manual several times before you can really appreciate all the features.

I also have the Pro+2 on a retractor...so far no problems with it and although it looks like a "brick," I find it lighter than the analog Suunto with compass and gauge I used when I was in my classes.

The backlighting is only worth something in really dark conditions, but the computer itself is great!

Don't forget to read the manual and familiarize yourself with it before you dive. You'll find that it's an extremely easy computer to use and should give you years of diving. Congrats on your Ranger too. You now own 2 pieces of gear from 2 companies whose customer service on this board have impressed me to no end.

You have a great set of gear....now go dive!!! :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom