Dive watch, what type ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I ask because I am just getting back into diving after a 24 year side trip called having a family, job and other commitments. I wanted to know what other divers use to tell their bottom time with.
I have been wearing a Tag Heuer for the past 7 years. I only take it off to clean it with those "scrubbing bubbles" about once every 2 weeks, and every 3 years when it needs batteries.
My problem is I love this watch and would hate to see it drop to the bottom and be lost.
I have looked at some of the Casio watches, had them years ago and they worked just fine.
My biggest problem is " did they start making those numbers smaller or is it just me ".
I was not able to see the display on the watch in low light situations .
How about some help for an old blind guy. Turning 50 next month and not willing to be old yet.

Thanks, Jim Breslin

JBRES1, I dive with my very valuable tag heuer, and I love my watch too. Tag Heuer Watches, as I am sure you know, are made to a high caliber of standard. My watch's clasp feels INCREDIBLY secure, thats why I have no problem taking it diving with me. I use it's bezel as a backup bottom timer----I have the watch on my left hand in the normal position, and my computer on the left hand as well. My compass is on my right hand. Of course, you need to feel comfortable with bringing your watch down, at least I KNOW that my watch will not fall off of me. It has two clasps, a first push-and-wait-for-click clasp and then a fold-over-first-clasp clasp, which makes for a secure lock. Yup.

I use a Casio Sea Pathfinder -- depth, bottom time, temperature, compass (though the compass is impractical for anything other than single fixes, best I can tell). Digital readout, decent sized numbers.

In over 30 years diving I've never lost my watch. I have owned several different watches ranging from a $15 "mailorder" special to my Rolex. I still prefer to dive with a good watch even if my computer keeps track of my time in the water. I usually wear the watch on my left wrist over my wetsuit. I like a rubber divers band on the watch vs. a metal one because rubber band doesn't slip as much as the weitsuit compresses durning the dive. For this reason I usually don't wear the Rolex (metal band and too damn expensive if I screwup and do lose it) and go with my second choice a Seiko with a rubber watch band.

I dive with a reasonably cheap but reliable Astina 1000m professional dive watch. Nice watch, even has a helium escape valve for all of those commercial dives I'll never do.

I've never wanted to take a watch diving that I would have felt bad losing. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

I had an Aquatech from Wal-Mart for a while. Cost $6.88. Now I have a Casio G-Shock. Cost about $70, atomic time update, solar powered. No batteries, no time setting, cheap, waterproof to deeper than I will ever dive.

I also use a Casio G-shock, I am thinking of trying out one of their Sea Pathfinder or Frogman models. One thing I do like about the G-Shock models is that they have a failry easy to hit Indiglo button, It is positioned in the center in a recessed area that makes it fairly easy to push even with a gloved finger, altough I'm thinking 5-7mm gloves might be tough.
As a side note, when I bought my first G-shock in 1987 we "tested it" by throwing it at a metal exterior door as hard as we could. It hit with enough impact to leave several impresions of its casing indented in the door and kept functioning just fine. I tried this 5 years ago with a newer model and it broke after the second impact. I have a feeling the new G-shock models are not as robust as the original.

500 meter swiss Invicta, but usually wear a citizen solar, with depth gauge - acts as my backup to all the fancy technology.

Nitek by DiveRite. It's simple and does most of what I need it to--for now. And, yes, the number are big!! (for all who seem to be having 'trouble' seeing your read-outs! haha

Back
Top Bottom