Do you have a Suunto VyTec Wrist model? help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb5plj

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I have a VyTec wrist model have a few questions for any one else that does. Mine only seems to record temperature intermittently. I don't think the recordings are accurate either. When I download the dives to the dive manager software only a few points appear on the graph. When I look at the documentation for the software it is always indicating a continual bar or step graph, mine has never indicated this.

For instance this last weekend I did a forty minuet dive and it only recorded three temperature points. one at the beginning, one at the ending and one at the max depth. Max depth was only thirty six feet but it indicated the same temperature as on the surface, and I know I stayed below the thermocline for almost the whole dive, it was much clearer down there. At the end of the dive it recorded the lowest temperature, four degrees below the max depth temp.

I have the thing set to record every ten seconds, I assume that would record the temperature as well but it doesn't seem to do that. Now I was wearing a 7mm wetsuit and I believe the sensor is on the bottom of the unit but I didn't have it set so tight that you couldn't pull it up easily. I can't imagine that water was not getting under there.

At any rate I am wondering if anyone else has a vytech that performs this way or differently. Maybe only the fancier computers such as the D9 records everything.

Suunto will not talk to me about the thing, nor will aqualung. It was purchased from liesure pro before I knew that they are not a dealer so not only is it not have a warranty, I can't even pay Suunto to service the thing. they won't even touch it.

From the Suunto.com web site;

SCUBADIVING
Cobra - wrong water-temperature
by henricusrex 04.09.06

Hello, I 've bought a new Suunto Cobra and intalled SDM 2.3.0. The download of dives works, but I don't get the right values of water-temperature during the dive profile. I only get 3 or 4 values during a dive, not a complete graph. There are also not safed more values of water-temperature in the logfile (logbook) of my Cobra. Is this a known problem with the Cobra-unit-software which can solved with an update?

Thanks for help or a clue.

Re: Cobra - wrong water-temperature
by johnbachofner 09.09.06

The Cobra only measures the temperature at the start, end, and deepest part of the dives. The continuous temperature logging is for the D9.

I had the same question before and Suunto informed me about it.

Have fun getting wet.
_______

I know it's talking about the Cobra, but it says "The continuous temperature logging is for the D9."

I do have the Vytec and it reads the same as yours.

Hope this helps.

___

well that does make me feel better. thanks.

Where on the Suunto site did you find that. I was looking for some kind of support forum but was not able to find it.

Go to " http://suuntosports.com/ " and either Register or use the Guest Login , chose
#7 - diving in left column and follow the promts , happy hunting.

___

I reverted back to v1.6 of the suunto manager software because I had lots of weird problems with the later versions.

I agree with wedivebc, I dumped the 2.3 software and will stick with the 1.6. The temperature on the download doesn't indicate the actual temperature at any given point in the dive. It usually takes about 10 minutes for the temp on the computer to get to the actual temperature. It measures it continously but doesn't download it that way.

If you do a 10 second profile on your downloads you must keep it that way all the time. If you ever change and download into your divelog it will go back and recalculate all your previous dives and really screw them up. Unless they have fixed this problem in the latest software release.

I'm surprised you didn't know LP wasn't an authorized dealer, especially since you are a walking billboard for Seaquest/AquaLung.. anyway, hope this gets you straigtened out.

Lead_carrier:
I agree with wedivebc, I dumped the 2.3 software and will stick with the 1.6. The temperature on the download doesn't indicate the actual temperature at any given point in the dive. It usually takes about 10 minutes for the temp on the computer to get to the actual temperature. It measures it continously but doesn't download it that way.

If you do a 10 second profile on your downloads you must keep it that way all the time. If you ever change and download into your divelog it will go back and recalculate all your previous dives and really screw them up. Unless they have fixed this problem in the latest software release.

I'm surprised you didn't know LP wasn't an authorized dealer, especially since you are a walking billboard for Seaquest/AquaLung.. anyway, hope this gets you straigtened out.

I have never used the 1.6 version so I don't have a comparison there.

Thanks for the tip on not changing the recording interval!

As for knowing LP was a dealer or not. I didn't just buy this computer. I got it right as I completed my course, I am not sure if I had found this place or not. This is one of those things that falls into the "everyone knows" kind of syndrome. I head read up on products but hadn't read anything about LP. The conflict between Authorized dealers vs. non Authorized Dealers had not been brought to my attention yet. Mind you their are some Items I wouldn't care that much about and the savings is worth it. But to me a Computer or any other primary piece of your life saving gear ain't one that I am comfortable with. The really bothering part is that I can't even pay Suunto to look at it. They won't touch it with a ten foot pole. I am sure this is done in support of the Authorized dealers but it leaves me with a computer that I just have to decide when I think I can't trust it any more and throw it away. If I can't trust it I am not going to sell it to someone. LP does have some sort of warrantee repair service (their warrantee) but that is just giving it to them to muck about with. I am not sure that makes me any more confidant. Oh Well... live and learn I suppose.

TRIG:
Go to " http://suuntosports.com/ " and either Register or use the Guest Login , chose
#7 - diving in left column and follow the promts , happy hunting.

Oh sweet, this is what I was looking for. Thanks TRIG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom