Oceanic Veo 250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubastud16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finally made my decision on my computer. I picked up my Oceanic Veo 250 today, and had it put in my "SWIV" console (again Oceanic, bought before this). I'm diving with it Saturday, so I'll let you guys know what I think! I have to admit, I'm a bit spoiled, my first computer dive was a Cobra!

Good choice. I have the Oceanic Veo 180NX, like it a lot. You'll find it quite a bit more liberal than the Suunto computer you were diving before.

-Nick

Edit: The reason I said the above (other than having heard this before) was that my dad recently purchased a Suunto Gekko. This past weekend we did some diving at Beaver Lake, AR, and a few times compared the NDLs between the two. The diffference was anywhere from several minutes to two hours at shallower depths.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the unit, let us know.

Why did you change from the cobra?

Best,

Chris

NSDiver:
Good choice. I have the Oceanic Veo 180NX, like it a lot. You'll find it quite a bit more liberal than the Suunto computer you were diving before.

-Nick

i actually found my cobra to be liberal for some reason. it actually took me to the NDL on my padi dive tables. i realized what was going on and surfaced, but i found it strange. i actually rented the cobra when diving with some buddies recently..this is my first computer.

Ken abucs:
That's one of the advantages of computers, it tracks your actual dive profile, not a theoretical square profile. It's not uncommon for a dive that's perfectly OK with the computer to put you in deco on the tables.

doh. i think..i think im going to go sell all my scuba stuff now. and sit an a corner and cry, because im an idiot, and yea.....

edit: how could i be so stupid! i am the scuba equipment *****, and i didnt even think of that. i really should stop diving. :(

double edit: how could i not think of that? multilevel dives. DUH.

Ken abucs:
That's one of the advantages of computers, it tracks your actual dive profile, not a theoretical square profile. It's not uncommon for a dive that's perfectly OK with the computer to put you in deco on the tables.

Definetly the biggest benefit. One of our dives this past weekend was 48 minutes with a max depth of 115 feet.... couldn't have run that as a square profile on the tables (was also a repetitive dive).

-Nick

I just bought a Suunto Gekko, primarily because I wanted a wrist mount and because of its relatively low price. I'm was aware that it is one of the more conservative dive computers. I haven't been in the water with it yet,but looking through the manual it appears that you can make adjustments to it to make it more liberal. Has anyone experimented with this? If so, can you adjust it to the point that it is more in line with other computers?

I don't know that I would want or need to do this, but I'm interested in other divers' experiences trying it.

I've been using a Scan 4 which, because of its age (1994), I assume would be fairly conservative compared to newer computers.

I dive a Gekko. WRT SS16's comment that Suunto's are as liberal as PADI dive tables, let me assure you that they are MUCH more liberal than the tables (for the reason mentioned above--tracking a multilevel dive and giving you credit for it). That said, my computer is more "conservative" than others. As far as I can tell, this is never by more than a few minutes at decent depths (if it really is the case other computers give more hours at very shallow depths, who cares? You won't be staying for many hours!). I know of no easy way to make this computer more "liberal". You can make it a bit *more* conservative by increasing your perceived risk for DCS. I dive mine in Nitrox mode, and I guess you could lie about the mix to increase NDLs, but this would be very unwise (though do note that the Gekko, and possibly other Suuntos do calculate Nitrox mixes as +1% richer than what they are). Overall, I just don't find the Gekko to be limiting the diving I am currently doing.

Report: the computer worked very well. a few hiccups (user-oriented...i was getting used to the computer, everything went fine. just getting used to it), but it was awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom