i did it! bought 2 VT3 AI computers. one froze already :-\

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpiderSense

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Welp, i went down to the LDS and went home with two new VT3 computers with transmitters. it was a big chunk, but i justified it in the name of safety with the ascent rate indicator etc.

I figured me having a VT3 and my wife having one too (she'll always be my buddy), we'll have somewhat redundancy with the buddy check feature.

i'll be back next week for the two Delta 4 regulators. or maybe one Delta 4, one Abyss. dunno yet.

oh. while playing with them, and trying to link the transmitter, one of them froze at the battery check feature. i remember reading about this before here on SB, so i did some searches. by the time i found some threads, it unfroze itself (probably 10 mins). hmmmm.. while frozen, i was able to sync with PC no problems. afterwhich it does the countdown check as normal, but then back to the battery check screen. the S button to illuminate still worked. oh well. hope it isnt the norm.

then i read in the manual that the transmitters don't turn on unless under pressure? drats. cant test the link and buddy check feature until i'm in bonaire. hope they both work--it was a big investment!

ps. anyone have VT3 dive logs they care to share? something more substantial then the sample logs?

Why don't you take the units to the LDS and hook them on tanks to check the transmitters?

yeah. i guess before my trip i'll have to do that. right now its almost 3am so i think i'll put them down for the night. :)

SpiderSense:
Welp, i went down to the LDS and went home with two new VT3 computers with transmitters. it was a big chunk, but i justified it in the name of safety with the ascent rate indicator etc.

Well, as I'm sure you know, any of the least expensive dive computers or bottom timers (I think) will have an ascent rate indicator, (and usually an alarm) and will not have the possibility of losing contact with the transmitter (although if the transmitter does fail, you'll only lose air pressure info, right?)

If you're happy with your new computer, great, but don't kid yourself into thinking "expensive gear=safety".

true, more expensive gear does not mean they're safer. but for the features i get with the VT3 over the less expensive computer, i feel they will be worth it and does add more safety factors. just like having a redundant analog spg, or 2 knives and shears, or a pony bottle, the VT3 gives that extra sense of comfort.

for instance, my cousin had a rented analog spg needle stick during a dive -- indicating he had more air than actual. tapping the gauge corrected it that time, but it took experience to know something was up and to tap it. in case of a complete computer failure with the VT3, my buddy can do a quick buddy air check wirelessly and we ascend.

of course if the transmitter fails, you can't check air.

lesser $ computers:
non-wireless computers can't buddy check air.
non-air-integrated computers can't buddy check air.
other wireless ai computers can't buddy check air.

it was easier for me to justify buying two than to buy one. even though we'll be using analog gauges as well, that buddy check redundancy feature makes it worth paying the extra for. besides, the VT3 is the cheapest computer that can do that. :)

add other features like LED, pc download included, etc, and the VT3 was the easiest decision to make so far if i had to buy two computers (from feature standpoint, obviously we haven't actually used it).

other features i'd like to see include - vibration, selectable alarm tones to differentiate divers, soft warn vs alert, warn if your buddy is out of selected range, wireless transmitter with antenna that you can attach to hoses or whatever to increase range (mainly for your buddy to check, but less chances of link loss too?). then everyone in your dive party can monitor each other if desired. make the transmitters cheaper and each can have two for exponential redundancy. what about dive computers that monitor physical breathing rate and heart rate? ok ok, you guys gonna say 'why don't you make a computer that dives for you?'. but if i can be monitored like an astronaut, why not.

Because it tends for some people to take the most important piece of gear out of the equation. Your brain. Computers are nice. I dive with one myself. But electronics can fail and if you don't keep track of things and know how to use tables and figure ppo2 levels(nitrox) you're screwed if it fails in an out of the way place or at the wrong time. My computer is the BACKUP for my tables, dive watch, depth guage, spg, and my brain.

The problem is that if you use a computer to dive and you dive to the limits of the computer no table will allow you to dive again that day. Depending on the usage if the computer fails you're done diving that day. Some people carry 2 computers for that situation.

Now using a computer while diving and using a computer to dive are different things as JimLap has stated.

I have the VT-3 and absolutely love it. I find the air pressure on my wrist is nice, especially when I get home and download it for the SAC's and such. I do not rely on the pressure indicator the computer provides and cross check it with the SPG. I've found an interesting thing, they don't track the same across the range. My buddies with AIC have found the same thing and my pet theory is the computer is more accurate than the analog gage. I base that on my airplane, that fuel gage is guaranteed to be accurate in only one instance, no fuel.

Still, I cross check them and love the additional data the VT3 gives me.

Congrats on the new computers. I love new toys too. However, it doesn't matter how you justify the expense when you consider that you could be JUST AS SAFE using analog gauges at a MUCH cheaper price. No computer makes you more safe, no matter what added features it has. It could be argued that the buddy air check feature means you communicate less with your partner and are thus less safe. I believe in frequent eye contact with a buddy. That said, I also dive a wireless AI computer because I love toys so I understand.:wink: Have fun with them!

Please bring your VT3's by the dealer and check them on a tank before your vacation. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you.

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO FEEL THE NEED TO PIPE IN ON EVERY COMPUTER THREAD WITH A "DIR" VIEW

Why? I tech dive tables only, I can dive recreational using tables, strait ratio from my head or computers. The simple truth is in a no required stop dive using computers have proved themselves to be safe and reliable. Millions of dives of empirical data.
If you choose to dive ratio thats great, not all "DIR/GUE" trained divers do when doing simple dives. The assumption that all divers using computers are using them as a crutch is wrong and very narrow minded.

cerich:
simple dives. The assumption that all divers using computers are using them as a crutch is wrong and very narrow minded.

With that statement I agree completely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom