What happens when AI fails?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kasp

New
Reaction score
My LDS refuses to recommend air integrated computers because they claim that in event of failure of the transmitter, the entire computer locks up, meaning you can't even use it as depth gauge/timer etc. I was a bit skeptical when I heard this, given the critical nature of its usage. Can anyone verify whether this is true or not? I was interested in particular in Oceanic's VT pro or VT3.

Thanks

sorry I can't confirm your inquiry, but if you stick around long enough there's sure to be a number of people who can help with your question.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

kasp:
My LDS refuses to recommend air integrated computers because they claim that in event of failure of the transmitter, the entire computer locks up, meaning you can't even use it as depth gauge/timer etc. I was a bit skeptical when I heard this, given the critical nature of its usage. Can anyone verify whether this is true or not? I was interested in particular in Oceanic's VT pro or VT3.

Thanks

LOL! That's like saying if you have a flat tyre on your car you cannot start the engine!

The computer will continue to work regardless of the transmitter link, I have a VT3 now and used a VT Pro as well, no problems at all. From time to time there might be some interference from the surroundings (light, metal, scooter) that can cause the link to be lost, but it will re-connect in seconds.

On the other hand it doesn't hurt to attach a small SPG as well, so that in case of total link failure you have a way to monitor your usage. Or if not, a complete loss will mean the end of your dive.

But frankly speaking, I have never had a complete loss nor have I heard anyone that did.

Well, like any electronic component, then can and will fail. So will an electronic dive computer for that matter.

I don't use one of these things, although I did research them. The failure rate is low, but not as low as I'd like to see it before making the investment. Some of the problems I've heard:

• The communication between the transmitter and receiver can be disrupted.
  • Obviously, you now have two batteries to contend with, meaning two failure points.
  • Because tanks and gear on the tanks tend to get banged around, say when climbing back onto a boat, there is just more potential for damage than with a hose.
  • I was at a resort and a guy left his transmitter in the rental reg. They were'nt sure who the guy was, but he was leaving the next day...who knows if he eventually remembered to pick it up.

I believe there are some advantages to wireless, most notably you can theoritically reduce your rig by one hose, but personally, I would never not have a SPG attached to my reg, so I'm not sure if that is really much of a benefit.

Certainly having everything on your wrist at a glance would be terrific.

After really carefully looking at these things, I decided they are not yet sufficiently perfected to justify the risk or expense.

Jeff

Think twice before trusting anything critical to underwater electonics. Even on a computer driven profile you want to have some sort of table based egress plan.

Skip the AI, especially wireless and buy something else. Having a console or SPG hose well restrained will not measurably effect your efficiency as a diver.

Pete

I used a Mares Genius my first two dozen dives or so, it would periodically desync (like when the strobe on my camera charged up) the computer worked fine. I eventually got tired of the alarm going off when it desynced after every picture and sold it. If I wasn't doing photography I woluld probably still have it.

Mike

I've used wireless AI forever it seems. I have not had any of the problems that some seem to have read about. I like mine just fine. I do not use a separate spg. This all suits the way I dive. I don't recommend them or not recommend them - if you like them, get them; if you don't, go with something else. YMMV

If my AI computer (wireless or not - it doesn't matter) stopped working then I would simply abort the dive. I would continue using my own air and begin ascending with my buddy. I would even do the safety stop. The worst thing that would happen is that I have to buy a new computer.

Unless your LDS is condoning diving without a buddy, then it's hard to see what the issue is.

I can certainly imagine that for certain kinds of diving an AI computer or a wireless one could be problematic. For the kind of diving I do, I have AI and no separate SPG. If the computer fails, I'll simply abort the dive. And, because of the kind of diving I do, aborting will be simple. I personally don't like wireless because I'm the kind of person who will tend to put the wrist component down and then either forget it or break it.

Back
Top Bottom