problems downloading to Suunto software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgogirl22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have always had issues downloading my profiles from my Suunto Vyper to the Dive Manager Software. I've always been able to make it work eventually, after many tries, but the connection between the download cable and the contacts on the computer is very finnicky, and I usually get the error message "Computer has timed out... Make sure computer is in TR-PC mode, clean contacts, and try again..." Or similar. With various attempts at holding the cord in place, it will usually work on the upteenth try, but now I can't get it to work at all. I've tried cleaning the contacts as best as I could and even taking the computer out of the casing to ensure a solid connection with the contacts. Any suggestions out there for making it work? Thanks!

Not sure how the Vyper works compared to the Stinger, but I used to have these sorts of issues all the time. It pretty much works first time for me now, and the only thing I'm conciously doing is putting the computer into TR-PC mode, then waiting 2 or 3 secs before connecting it to the interface.

Hi

Are you using the serial or the usb connector? Had all sorts of probs using the serial from Suunto via various adaptors to usb, but found this one -

http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbdive1.php

Voila! No more problems! It's also a lot cheaper than the Suunto one as well. Think there are other threads on this topic on the board as well.

Jeff

p.s. Not associated with the company in any way - I'm a plumber!

p.p.s AARRRRparrently I'm now called Mad Jack Flint n I as to taaaaalk like this for some reason.........

Thanks guys... I haven't tried waiting between putting the computer into TR-PC mode and hooking it up to my laptop... I'll try that next. I have been using the serial cord with a serial/USB connector cable to fit my laptop, but I already know that's not the problem since this has worked for me in the past. I did get a hold of the Suunto USB cord though and didn't have any more luck with it. I guess I'll try contacting Suunto directly to see what they might suggest. Thanks for your suggestions.

I have a Vyper and don't have that problem. I set my computer to TR-PC mode, plug in the cable, and than start the software. No problems. I'm gonna say something that sounds really stupid, it's like is the computer plugged in. I don't mean to offend, so if you know this don't kill me - ENOUGH qualification :D

After you work through the menu and get to the TR-PC screen, are you pushing the mode button to "select" the mode?

JR

Thanks for the vote of confidence :D Yes, I know how to use my computer, I have downloaded hundreds of dives in the past - it's just not working for me anymore for some reason. I didn't think it was the COM port thing since I was able to get to the dialogue box where you press "Start transfer" (plugged into other COM ports will give me an error...) so I thought it must be the contact between the cable and the Vyper.

However, I tried connecting a brand new Vyper (never been in the water - clean contacts) both with my old cable and the new Suunto USB one, and neither worked. So maybe it is a problem with the COM ports. I'll try that little program that was posted - thanks a lot, I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks guys!

Virgogirl22:
Thanks for the vote of confidence :D Yes, I know how to use my computer, I have downloaded hundreds of dives in the past - it's just not working for me anymore for some reason. I didn't think it was the COM port thing since I was able to get to the dialogue box where you press "Start transfer" (plugged into other COM ports will give me an error...) so I thought it must be the contact between the cable and the Vyper.

However, I tried connecting a brand new Vyper (never been in the water - clean contacts) both with my old cable and the new Suunto USB one, and neither worked. So maybe it is a problem with the COM ports. I'll try that little program that was posted - thanks a lot, I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks guys!
<removed for stupidity reasons - RTFQ>

I find that wetting the contacts removes the flakiness of my Vyper connection.

In support of the previous post, I put a bit of 'spit' on the contacts and I find that usually fixes the problem. Before I started doing this I used to get the 'timed out' error message all the time too.

Good luck.

Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom