Suunto Mosquito Anomaly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
The last two beach dive excursions I've used this mosquito resulted in some "unexpected" behavior.

I dove all morning - first dive max depth 12 ft, second dive avg depth 33 ft, computer acted normally, all was fine.

Late afternoon, I was beach diving, and got separated from my buddy. I had hit max depth of 15ft, mosquito was working fine. I went to the surface to get my bearings and locate my buddy, and dropped back down. Still couldn't find the site, and went back up again to get a look at where my landmarks should be, and popped down. I then was watching the depth, and the computer was in "memory mode" and I couldn't get it out. finally, I removed the thing from my wrist, thinking there was an air pocket, or something, and the computer finally went into dive mode, but read 5-10ft shallower than I knew I was.

A similar thing happened on previous shore dives (under 20ft, with visits to the surface to regroup and converse). That time, the computer logged like 15 separate 2-10min dives even though I only came up twice. The max depth should have been 18 ft, but was recorded as 8ft.

Was this a response to the popping up and down, or an indicator of a larger problem? Needless to say, I have nearly zero confidence in this computer right now.

Has anybody else seen this sort of behavior (from a Suunto, not a diver)?

Back
Top Bottom