Hoseless dive computer questions from the new guy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey gang,

As I venture forth in my early days of the PADI OW course, my head fills with dreams of the upcoming gear purchase.

In my great experience of 1 pool dive... :wink: ... I can already see how nice it would be to get rid of the SPG hose and unit.

I am curious though as to whether or not you can, by just adding a wireless system like the Aeris Atmos Elite, or if you should still have at least an analog pressure gauge as well?

What are folks doing out there? :popcorn:

You can! The AI units of today are very reliable and can replace the SPG/console all together. BUT as many do, they still attach a small SPG if they see it fit, for the *just in case* scenario.

But seeing how you are just getting into the diving, in the worst case event of a complete computer failure, you would end you dive then and there, so the added SPG might not be of benefit to you.

How critical is knowing you breathing gas level to your diving?

If it is critical, as it is for most divers, then having a backup SPG is required.

Yes, like most modern gear wireless AI computers are very reliable. But, like all gear they can fail. The SPG is a backup for that. It can also let you dive with just it, a depth gauge, a watch and tables if that is the route you choose. Personally, I like using a computer I take with me. But, that isn't the personal choice of everyone.

The key is to plan an equipment system that matches the style of diving you are doing and that you are comfortable with. You may want to have more than one computer so when you are traveling a failure won't cause you sit-out time.

AI on the wrist is great - getting rid of the analog gauge can be a good thing if you are doing simple recreational diving. Like Tamas said you simply thumb the dive and ascend slowly. All divers should gave a good idea how much gas they have left if they are doing their checks every minute or two.

Cheers.

-J.-

Warren:
Hey gang,

As I venture forth in my early days of the PADI OW course, my head fills with dreams of the upcoming gear purchase.

In my great experience of 1 pool dive... :wink: ... I can already see how nice it would be to get rid of the SPG hose and unit.

I am curious though as to whether or not you can, by just adding a wireless system like the Aeris Atmos Elite, or if you should still have at least an analog pressure gauge as well?

What are folks doing out there? :popcorn:

My Dive Buddies and i have been diving aeris elites for several years now with no major issues. . . As i am sure u have learned everyone has an opinion that they think is THE right one but I dive what I like not what ANYONE else likes. . .

If you don't have a brass SPG, you WILL die. And I mean like right now, at the computer even.

I think as a new diver you should have a back up SPG if you're using a wireless AI computer. An experienced diver in familiar settings will have a pretty good idea about gas consumption, but most new divers are understandably and correctly pretty concerned about how much air is in their tank. Occasionally, AI sending units do fail or lose contact with the receiver, at which time you would suddently have no way of knowing your air supply. As a brand new diver, does that sound fun to you? Maybe not deadly, but not enjoyable either.

Warren:
Hey gang,

A lot of people have a small brass/glass SPG clipped to their left hip D-ring of their BCD on a appropriate length hose (about 24" usually) and a computer on the wrist for depth, time and other info. That way the SPG is out of the way and after you gain more experience you won't need to look at it all that often because you'll roughly know how much gas you've used even without looking. Depth and time on the other hand you need to view more often (for example, on safety or deco stops) so they are right there at your wrist.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having the hoseless unit (redundancy or one less hose, gas remaining displayed right there at your wrist, instant SAC rates,...) but I don't because I don't need it and I'd rather spend the extra money on other things.

Come on... guys.... We are driving all same brand and same cars.....?

It isn't a "must have" option. It is just personal preference based on their own budget. In addition, I haven't heard any divers died due to the hoseless computer. It is ok enough for the rec. diving range....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom