Suunto Gekko Computer or Apeks Quantum Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gnarlysb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

I am going diving and have decided that instead of hiring a dive computer for the week, its only about 3 x the price to buy one!

So I was wondering what you guys thought over these 2 models (as per title), they are both 140 GBP (280 USD). I am an OW diver with 20 dives, but am looking to do a further 25 and my AOW during my next dive trip.

Suunto Gekko Computer at Deep Blue Dive
Apeks Quantum Dive Computer at Deep Blue Dive

Cheers

Tim

EDIT: :hijack:I was doing a search and found this thread, unreplied to for 9 months, and it basically asked the question I was wondering about, but had no answer to it. When answering, please consider my addition to the question as well as the OP's (though I doubt they'll still be reading it, but who knows), because I know some people read the OP only before replying. Thanks

I'll bump this up because I'm looking at the Gekko and the Quantum/Nitek Duo/... The Gekko seems to have everything I'd need now. The Quantum (which is available in Canada) seems to have everything the Gekko has, plus a bit more (2 gas, gauge mode...). If the cost was the same, I'd go for the Quantum (or other likeness) over the Gekko, but my LDS has the Gekko at around $290 (canadian) while the Nitek Duo is about $540 (they don't have a price on their website for the quantum, but it's probably about the same), and another lds has the IQ-700 for $480, and the archimedes II for $500. Should I buy what I need now and save the money to do more diving and upgrade later if I need to (I'd like to get into wreck diving eventually, but we'll see) or should I get something I can grow into a bit, knowing that I may never need the extra stuff?

Last edited:
The Seiko computer (Dive Rite Nitek Duo, Tusa IQ-700, Cressi Archimedes II, and Zeagle N2ition) are all available in the US. The Apeks Quauntum is not available in the US. The prices vary considerably. At scuba.com the Cressi is $260, Dive Rite $445, Tusa $389, and the Zeagle $400. $280 for the Apeks is a pretty good price, but not likely current. I bought a Dive Rite for $280 about a year and a half ago on a price match offer. All but the Cressi fit in the DSS wrist boot widely available for about $20. I love my Dive Rite in the boot. As stated, these are all 2 gas computers.

Both Dive Rite (Nitek Trio) and Zeagle (N2ition 3) now have upgraded 3 gas computers on the market for nominally more than their 2 gas computer (Dive Rite $499, Zeagle $495). Whether or not you need 3 gases is up to you, I don't.

Both Seiko and Suunto use very conservative decompression algorithims, at the oppostite end of the specturm from Pelagic Pressure Systems (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Genesis) and Cochran.

Good diving, Craig

Last edited:
i'm going to bump this in the hope of some more replies. i am trying to choose between the GEKKO, a SEIKO-clone, or oceanic GEO/VEO for my second dive computer. i am mostly a vacation-diver, naui AOW + nitrox/rescue certified with 60 logged dives. whatever computer i purchase will have to last me through divemaster training, and expand into tech/wreck diving. cave and deep diving is NOT necessary. good VALUE is my chief concern. i need to make this purchase before march. all help is appreciated!!

I have experience with both. I am on my third Apeks Quantum in 4 years. The first two worked fine until one of the buttons stopped working (same button both times). Distributor replaced it both times and the one I have now has been working fine for two years. The menus are easy to scroll through and you can do limited gas switching.
The Gekko is pretty much bullet proof. Getting to know the menus takes a little getting used to, but is fine. The Gekko has a great strap, nice and long for use over an exposure suit.
Suunto has upgraded the Gekko for 2010 and it now can be used with their PC interface so you can download your logbook etc onto your PC. I can't remember if it is still called the Gekko or if they changed the name, but it is still basically the same computer.
You can get a DSS mount for both types if you prefer bungee straps.
Either one is a good choice for recreational diving and both will serve as a good backup or function in gauge mode if you progress to more tech stuff down the road.

Dive Safe.
Scott

I have been using the Gekko for about 8 months now. I like it! I got the DSS wrist mount for it. Even though Suunto software doesn't allow downloading profiles, DiveLog 4.0 does, so it's not an issue. It's bullet proof. The thing just works. It doesn't have guage mode, tho. As I progress into the world of technical diving, I find that annoying but not a big deal, I just ignore the NDL.

I haven't used the other computers mentioned but I did just purchase a Uwatec Aladin Tec 2g yesterday from LP for less $300 US. The DiveRite Nitek Duo you mention is available from DiveRight Express (their own website) for $289 as a sale. What will you be doing for pressure readout, do you have an SPG guage? Because the computers you mention aren't AI.

In looking for a new computer the past 2 weeks, I've considered the Tec 2g and the Nitek Trio but many people local to me use the Tec 2g and have mixed feelings (an older generation had lots of problems but the newer ones seem fine), but generally high praises.

Whatever your choice, good luck!

i'm going to bump this in the hope of some more replies. i am trying to choose between the GEKKO, a SEIKO-clone, or oceanic GEO/VEO for my second dive computer. i am mostly a vacation-diver, naui AOW + nitrox/rescue certified with 60 logged dives. whatever computer i purchase will have to last me through divemaster training, and expand into tech/wreck diving. cave and deep diving is NOT necessary. good VALUE is my chief concern. i need to make this purchase before march. all help is appreciated!!
The Gekko is being phased out and has a new name, just can't recall it. New model will be downloadable but still no back-light display. You mentioned expanding into tec, the Gekko or it's new predecessor is not tec 'compatible', no gauge mode or gas switching.
The Gekko is a great value but it will not be your last PDC.

I have the Gekko and it works well. After reading the manual and practicing a bit it has been a very good unit, but even at the most aggressive settings, it is still on the conservative side.
I do quite a bit of freediving and the Gekko has no gauge mode.

Last edited:
interesting. i don't really care too much about the gekko's lack of a backlight (in fact, i appreciate the phosphorescent screen), but if i will sorely miss a gauge mode, then i might have to cross that off my list. does anyone know if the 2010 gekko has other new features besides computer download?

to all: whatever copmuter i get, i will be popping it out of its straps and into a DSS bungie mount. i notice DSS also makes a bungie mount for the aladin tec 2g. what are scubabord's opinions on:

"Aladin Tec 2G vs DiveRite Nitek Duo (AND ALL OTHER SIEKO CLONES ie TUSA-700 HUNTER)"

i notice both have gas-switching and gauge modes, which is more conservative ... what problems could one face on a modern nitek duo that wouldn't be a problem on the trio/n2ition-2? and are there any other future-proof wrist-mounts available today for 300 or less NEW OR USED? i do have to admit, i'd also spring a little more for a vyper air wo/transmitter!

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom