SPG boot or naked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just wondering if anyone uses a stand alone SPG and if so do you use it with a boot or without and why? I read that DIR dont use the boot as it may "ratchet" the diver in place....are there any other reasons...? I note without the boot the SPGs are cheaper and I guess unless you are banging it about, without the boot should be ok....cheers

I'm not DIR but I use a naked brass and glass SPG. The boot does nothing but trap moisture that takes forever to dry. A top quality brass and glass SPG doesn't need to boot to protect it. They're just about bomb proof. Most all of them are made in the same factory in Italy. I have a Dive Rite and two XS Scuba and both are made in Italy. I'm pretty sure this applies to most, if not all, of the various "brand name" brass and glass SPGs on the market.

yes I noted the XS scuba and DiveRite naked SPGs are obviously from the same factory with diff branding and the DR being $15 more...thanks for the info..im not DIR either but kinda like the look of the naked SPG and no hose protecters either...thanks again

yes I noted the XS scuba and DiveRite naked SPGs are obviously from the same factory with diff branding and the DR being $15 more...thanks for the info..im not DIR either but kinda like the look of the naked SPG and no hose protecters either...thanks again

The best prices I've found for these are Dive Sports. Give Phil a call.

I wouldn't worry about it, I have 3 Brass and Glass gauges all without boots. Just keep in mind if you have an OMS brass and glass, to keep the boot because they won't warranty without the boot on it, but all the other manufacturer's will.

I buy my brass and glass "no name" from Trident. Same gauge marked with made in Italy, but just doesn't any name on it, best price I could find, at least up here in Canada.

Just as a counter point:

This is one of those things that may be greatly influenced by the type of diving you do, your frequency, and the nature of your diving environment.

The removal of boots was as a result of tight passageways, either cave or wreck, and the desire to present the absolutely minimal profile. In fresh water caves the trapping of water is hardly an issue. Although, it certainly is if you aren't properly rinsing your gear after saltwater dives.

Several years ago I removed the boots from my gauges in an effort to adopt as many DIR ways as possible. The result was 3 broken gauges over a 24 month period. One do to my own clumsiness, one do to the clumsiness of another, and one do to someone not securing their gear properly for the trip out to the dive site.

Since I'm not typically diving in environments that "ratcheting" would be a concern and because I insist on actually dunking and soaking my gear after dives, I opted to replace the boots on my spg's. In the two years that have followed, I haven't lost a single gauge again.

As durable as gauges are, it requires a surprising small ding to the bezel to break the seal and allow water to enter the gauge and ruin it.

Just my experience, most folks don't have issues with bare gauges.

Several years ago I removed the boots from my gauges in an effort to adopt as many DIR ways as possible. The result was 3 broken gauges over a 24 month period. One do to my own clumsiness, one do to the clumsiness of another, and one do to someone not securing their gear properly for the trip out to the dive site.

Thanks for sharing your experience. In your opinion, would the boot have prevented damage to the gauge in all three incidents?

The best prices I've found for these are Dive Sports. Give Phil a call.

I've been looking at picking one of these up as a redundant gauge to my AI wrist computer. Dive sports has the 2.5" XS Scuba for $64 w/ $23 for 32" hose, $7 for boot ($87 or $94 w/ boot). Scuba Toys has the same gauge w/ 32" hose for $80 total, $88 w/ hose and boot.

Also looking at the 1" dial pony gauge w/ hose for $50 from ST - Pony Gauge With Hose , Dive Gauges, H2Odyssey, Pony Gauge With Hose
since it's only a redundant gauge anyway.

Any thoughts on which way to go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom