D9 Battery change "How To"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leisure Pro Brett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Scubaboard has been a great resource for me and it’s truly a wealth of information for any diver. I have taken so much good information from here I think it’s about time to give some back.
I was recently getting ready for a dive trip and found myself with a low battery in my d9 and not enough time for it to get to aqualung for a change. I figured I could risk it and hope the battery held up for the dives or I could try to change it myself. After a little encouragement from Hoosier in this thread, I decided to give it a try myself. Since I couldn’t find any info on changing the D9 battery on the net I took some pictures of the process so everyone can see how it’s done. NOTE: This information has no affiliation with LeisurePro, it is just something I did myself for the ScubaBoard community. Neither LeisurePro nor myself encourage anyone to change their own D9 battery. If you do open your computer and it floods it’s your fault, not mine, if your not comfortable with that then leave your computer alone. With that said, on with the show.

chg1.JPG
1. Here is the tool I used to open the D9, it was taken from my $15 ebay watch battery change kit that I got a year or so ago. At it’s widest setting it works great for opening the D9.

two.JPG
2. When you see this on your screen, it’s time to get the battery taken care of before it’s completely dead.

chg3.JPG
3. There are some CR2450 batteries that will not fit, the neck less version on the right doesn’t like the battery compartment in the D9. The one on the left is the type you want to use in the computer.

chg411.JPG
4. Be sure to place the face of the watch on a surface that will not scratch or damage it. You also want to make sure the surface is clean so that you will not contaminate the inside of the watch with dust or lint. Before opening the watch make a special note of how flush the retaining ring is sitting on the watch for reference when you are putting it back together. Using the wrench to loosen the retainer, hold your watch in place grabbing the bands where they connect to the watch case. Once it is loose you can just remove it the rest of the way with your fingers.

chg5.JPG
5. Once the retaining ring is removed make a quick check to remove any crust you may encounter on the bottom of the retainer or around the case back.

chg6.JPG
6. Remove the case back and clean it thoroughly around the sealing surface on the bottom side.

chg7.JPG
7. Remove the o-ring using a tool that will not scratch the watch case or harm the o-ring.

chg8.JPG
8. Remove the old battery and clean the thread area and sealing surfaces inside the watchcase to ensure a good seal when it is put back together.

Continued

chg9.JPG
9. Install the new battery and new lightly lubed o-ring. Be careful not to have any salt, sand, dust, lint, hair etc. on the sealing surface, you wouldn’t want your nice expensive computer to flood.

chg10.JPG
10. Replace the case back paying attention to line up the keyway at the top marked with a red dot.

chg411.JPG
11. Put the retaining ring back on and snug it down until it’s at the approximate level it was when you took it apart and is hard to tighten any more. I did put a little silicone on the threads to help it screw down a little more smoothly.

chg12.JPG
12. Check the battery to make sure it says that everything is ok, you also want to listen for a beep when firing it up to verify that the beeper is working.

chg13.JPG
13. Take it for a ride in the pressure pot to make sure that it’s sealed up ok and ready to go.

And that's it! Your all done, if you did everything carefully you shouldn't have to think about the battery in your computer for another couple of years. :D

Brett,

Good job and great manual for DIYer...

I can see that LP will sell more D9 in the market. It will be very attractive info, specially to the foreign customers who used to be hesitate to buy non-user replaceable battery computer. :wink:

As long as the new O-ring is used everytime and being careful not to over-torque the case, step #13 can't skipped. In addition, don't put too much grease on the O-ring. Otherwise, it will be very hard to re-open the case when you replace the battery again.

Again good job.:D

Outstanding information and very nicely done. This will be a big help at battery change time. Also, wondering if anyone knows the correct size o ring for the d9 & d4?
Thanks again,
Steve

This was fabulous, but I am sitting on the edge of my chair wanting to know where to get the o-ring. That is the remaining gate.

I'd also like to know what O ring size is used during the battery replacement of the watch? Also, what is a pressure pot? :confused:

Thank you so much Brett. I came on this board looking for exactly this. I just have one quick comment for anyone else trying to do this. The tool used to open the watch is called a spanner wrench. It took me a little work to find one on ebay. Some adds also call it a Watch Case Opener, and others call it a spanner tool. I just wanted to give the feedback in case anyone else is looking for this tool. Thanks again!!!

Does anybody try the battery replacement in D6 ? I removed the screw on the back cover but still wasn´t able to open the back cover :shocked2: karel

koudelak,

I've never tried it on a D6 since I don't own one myself. Maybe one of the other brave SB members will give it a try and post some info. It really is a bummer that they don't make these things to be serviced by their owners, I really hate sending things to the MFG and waiting. If I come across a D6 and open it up I'll be sure to take some pics for SB.

So, did anyone ID the o-ring?

As for the spanner wrench, I've been successful with several watches using a pair of neadle-nose pliers. Hold the plier perpendicular to the back of the watch, put one point in opposing notches on the back case and carefully turn. There are curved nose pliers that may work even better.

Again, o-ring ID?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom