Help! Suunto Gekko or Vyper 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajhughes

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping you guys can help me here...

I'm looking to by an new wrist computer and have essential narrowed it down to these two, the Suunto Gekko or Vyper 2. I like the lower cost of the Gekko, but at the same time I'm willing try and justify the cost of the Vyper 2 :)

I have two specific questions for any one who may be able to help...

How usable is the digital compass that comes with the Vyper 2?

Other than 2 gases, and a true backlight, are there any other features on the Vyper 2 that are really nice to have in comparison to the Gekko?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

You can't download your dives to a computer with the Gekko ... that is, Suunto does not support it. There are apparently "work-arounds", but if you hack your Gekko you're on your own.

So if using your dive computer to keep a digital dive log is important to you, then the Vyper may be the better choice.

I went with a Vyper I for the download options - at the time I hadn't heard of the Gekko hack.

Henrik

The Gekko will also do two gases (air and nitrox) just like the Vyper, however you are right about the backlight. The Gekko does not have a true backlight, although with the Gekko you can charge the guage with a dive light and I find it will last quite a while. I own a Gekko and it is a great simple computer.

As far as I understand there is essentailly no difference in the programing between the Gekko and the Vyper the only difference is really the price and minor comforts like the back light. Either computer would be a good choice at the end of the day.

Henrik is right about the downloading as well. Both the Gekko and the Vyper have downloading capabilities although for marketing the capabilites in the Gekko were essentially turned off. So while it is sold as a non-downloading computer there are hacks around that will allow the Gekko to download logs to a computer as though it was a Vyper. There is a detailed tread on here that will tell you how to do it if you are interested. Just do a search and it should come up.

Why are you not considering the Vyper (vice Vyper2). Still in production/available AFAIK. $100 cheaper than the Vyper2
Suunto "Vyper" Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer, Silver
The Suunto Diving products website page at
Suunto Diving World - Suunto Diving Products
list it as current, saying only the Mosquito and D3 are no longer in production.

If you want the digital compass, cool, but apples-to-apples would be Gekko-Vyper.
Wrt that:

You will have to play some games to get the Gekko to upload your dive log data to a PC, see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...lyzers/133089-suunto-gekko-dive-download.html Suunto has disabled it, as a product differention strategy, by refusing to recognize it in their PC dive log software. You may or may not feel comfortable tweaking a firmware bit inside the Gekko that may or may not void your warranty, or using third part divelog software that just treats it like a Vyper wrt download. (if you have a Mac you'll be doing that anyway.). So that's one feature difference you may or may not care about. I value the download capability.

The Vyper has a dive simulation mode that's mostly useful for learning to use it before your first dive with it, or if you're a vacation diver and haven't used it in a year, doing a quick refresh before your trip. That's actually very valuable for that purpose, and I'd recommend using it if you have it. However, it has minimal value once you get familiar with diving with the computer.

Thos are the biggies I can think of, besides what you mentioned.

We own 2 of each (the old Vyper without the compass).............

I download my dives........but I understand that there is a program to allow the Gekko to do it.............remember you need to buy the cable.........it is another $100 (I think)........

Personally, I prefer the glow face of the Gekko to the Vyper, with the glow face you shine you dive light on it for a second or two and it glows for a long time, with the backlight you have to touch a button...........

When I night dive I use a Gekko and have the Vyper as a backup, which I then download after the dive........best of both worlds..........:)

I prefer my compass on the retractor so it easy to hold in front of me..........

Right now LP has Gekkos for $225.........

For that price it would be easy choice for me.............

Hope this helps.................M

Suunto "Gekko" Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer, White

Thanks for the quick responses! Some very helpful information.

I'm not sure why I hadn't seriously looked at the Vyper, I proably assume it was older than it was because of the Vyper 2... thanks for pointing that out.

I just checked with my LDS and it seems they have all three in stock... I'm surprised at how competitive my LDS' price is... the Gekko is actually only $10 more than LP, and they have the Vyper for the same price ($299) :0

I've definitely got some food for thought... now I can't wait to hit my LDS on the way home from work :)

Thanks again!

IMHO, the compass in the Vyper 2 is almost unusable because you have to hold it so close to level for it to work and there's no feedback to tell you if if you're tilting it. Do a :search: and you'll find more discussion about this 'feature'. Apparently, Suunto fixed this design flaw in the just-being-released Vyper 3.

Which brings me to my second point. If it's an option, you might want to wait a few months, since shops may start selling off Vyper 2s at discounts.

Something to consider when comparing the Vyper 2 to the original Vyper is the 4 vs. much less intuitive and harder to remember 3-button interface. Not everyone finds this to be as big a problem, so one thing you might want to try in the shop is to carry out various routine operations with each model, possibly without looking at the manual or cheat sheet.

Another difference between the Vyper and Vyper 2 is the latter uses a dot-matrix LCD, while the former uses an older-style LCD where all the segments were custom etched. The dot matrix display gives better resolution for things like nitrogen graphs, but some people find it harder to read. YMMV.

IMHO, the compass in the Vyper 2 is almost unusable because you have to hold it so close to level for it to work and there's no feedback to tell you if if you're tilting it. Do a :search: and you'll find more discussion about this 'feature'. Apparently, Suunto fixed this design flaw in the just-being-released Vyper 3.
I recently got a Cobra 3, released at the same time as the Vyper 3. The compass seems to work pretty well even with a fair amount of tilt.

Sunnto has fixed this problem with the new release. You can now hold it at 45deg. and it will work correctly. Also, you now can program the compass to shut off at 1 to 5min. long vs. the 30sec. auto.

I was trying to make the same decision last year and ended up buying a new gekko and a used gekko, as I decided redundancy was more important than the additional features the Vyper2 provided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom