Suunto Cobra Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John_ZAR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to replace my battery, I assume it is as simple as unscrewing the back replacing the battery, regreasing the o-ring and screwing the back back on. Simple! or am I missing something.

Also, I use my Cobra in gauge mode and I was wondering if I can still download the dive info if it is in gauge mode. The reason I need to ask is because I don't have a serial port anymore and was wondering if it is worthwile to get one.

Not sure about th battery because I've never had to change ours, not sure about downloading because I've never used gauge mode. But, my cable for downloading USB... no serial port needed.

I need to replace my battery, I assume it is as simple as unscrewing the back replacing the battery, regreasing the o-ring and screwing the back back on. Simple! or am I missing something.

It's pretty simple. Take your time.

If you don't have it, the owner's manual is here (see pg 56).
http://media.suunto.com/media/suunto/manuals/en_US/cobra_manual_en_v3_m56577569830658693.pdf

Look for a correctly sized phillips head screw driver. I used one that wasn't quite right, that causes the screw driver to pop out and slightly distort the slots in the screws. I was surprised how tightly they torqued mine.

Here's a video on replacing the battery alone:
YouTube - DIY Suunto Vyper, Vytec, Cobra, Gekko Battery Change

Yes,you can download the dive info if the computer was in guage mode during a dive.Note:The computer must be switched to Data Transfer mode ( 3 TR-PC) during the transfer.

just make sure you remember to check the placement of the o-ring when you are done. should be very simple and easy :)

Also, I use my Cobra in gauge mode and I was wondering if I can still download the dive info if it is in gauge mode. The reason I need to ask is because I don't have a serial port anymore and was wondering if it is worthwile to get one.

yes you can download. there is usb download cable available. occasionally you see it on ebay. or simply get a rs232 to usb cable/adapter. have fun:wink:

The o-ring is a standard size 31.47 X 1.78 mm Shore 70 (BS 2-026), can get them from various places, the cheapest if you buy in bulk is probably O-rings Online Frameset US$1.02 for a pack of 17, will have to pay postage on top of that. The battery is a standard CR2450. It is exactly that easy, just very lightly lube the new o-ring with silicon grease so it looks moist not coated with silicon. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean, and that all is aligned.

Many thanks JB for the link to your O ring source.

17 for a $1 beats the $20 Suunto charges for a kit.

just make sure you remember to check the placement of the o-ring when you are done. should be very simple and easy :)

Plus, I assume you have the "tool" that looks like a golf spike wrench.

My one "caution" would be to make sure you have fully closed the battery compartment.

I was replacing my battery before my last dives, and went through all the motions. Being the cautious soul that I am, a couple of hours later I pulled the computer out of storage and gave the battery closure one last turn, and lo and behold, I was about a quarter turn short of tight.

Could have been disasterous.

Ounce of prevention advised here.

JB:
The o-ring is a standard size 31.47 X 1.78 mm Shore 70 (BS 2-026), can get them from various places, the cheapest if you buy in bulk is probably O-rings Online Frameset US$1.02 for a pack of 17, will have to pay postage on top of that. The battery is a standard CR2450. It is exactly that easy, just very lightly lube the new o-ring with silicon grease so it looks moist not coated with silicon. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean, and that all is aligned.
@JB: Very useful info. If I'm not mistaken, that o-ring should apply to not only the Cobra...but also Vyper, Vytec, and Gekko. I can highly recommend aoptec.com as an o-ring supplier. While you're at it, purchase o-rings for your save-a-dive kit and reg repair kits.

I'm curious, JB. Did you just measure the o-ring yourself...or did you obtain the info from someone at Aqualung/Suunto?

EPDM o-rings have a much longer shelf-life than the BunaN (nitrile) o-rings. Has anyone tried the 2-026 EPDM Shore 70 o-ring in their Cobra/Vytec/Vyper/Gekko?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom