Should I buy a Dive Computer That Doesn't Support Nitrox ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
I'm getting a decent deal on a Dive Computer that doesn't support Nitrox for my girlfriend but I'm wondering if she will need to use Nitrox later on.

We both are new to Scuba with only 8 dives and from what we've heard most people use Nitrox to do wreck dives and cave diving. Our primary dives will be done in Cozumel and in Texas.

What do you think, what are the advantages to Nitrox and do most people eventually go to Nitrox ?

Thanks.

You don't really NEED to use nitrox unless you're engaging in some sort of technical diving. You CAN use nitrox on any recreational dive though.

The benefits of nitrox are that it gives you either extra safety OR more bottom time. You can't have both. The enriched air means that you're absorbing less nitrogen, so you can gain more time before the NDL sets in. Conversely, if you follow the same dive profile that you would on air, the reduced amount of nitrogen absorbed would put you at less of a risk of DCI.

The disadvanteges to nitrox are that it is more expensive to dive with, you have to monitor an additional variable during the dive (PO2) and now have oxygen toxicity to worry about in addition to DCI. Nitrox isn't dangerous and taking a nitrox course will show you this.

I like nitrox, but there are many divers who don't use it. I personally like the added safety margin that it gives or the ability to spend longer on the bottom. It's a personal choice, but I think that the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.

One other thing...if you get the computer and decide you want to use nitrox, you can still use it and dive the nitrox as if it were air. Some people don't like this practice, but it is doable in most situations.

z28pwr once bubbled...
I'm getting a decent deal on a Dive Computer that doesn't support Nitrox for my girlfriend but I'm wondering if she will need to use Nitrox later on.

We both are new to Scuba with only 8 dives and from what we've heard most people use Nitrox to do wreck dives and cave diving. Our primary dives will be done in Cozumel and in Texas.

What do you think, what are the advantages to Nitrox and do most people eventually go to Nitrox ?

Thanks.

I think (hope?) that we're working our way toward every new diver being introduced to Enriched Air diving in their BOW introduction to diving. In fact, I think you're going to see more and more divers adding not just O2, but stuff like Helium for rec style diving. The advantages may well outweigh the disadvantages.

Advantages:
1: Longer bottom times (better NDL's)
2: Reduced surface intervals
3: Reduced diver fatigue
4: Reduced narcosis effects
5: Reduced nitrogen buildup
6: Adaptability to specific dive situations

Disadvantages:
1: Depth restrictions more critical than air
2: Availability
3: Cost (often double the price of air)
4: Extra equipment costs for an O2 analyzer (and perhaps O2 clean gear)
5:New set of factors to consider like Oxygen Toxicity and diving different mixes on multiple dive days
6: More diver diligence to know what's in the tanks and not dive some high % O2 too deep accidentally and to be sure the computer is set for the proper mix on every dive

If you live in an area like SE Florida, Nitrox is a way of life. The reef dives off Boynton Beach etc are perfect for Nitrox with a safe hard bottom and good currents inviting long easy dives.

I've seen some pretty good deals on Nitrox capable computers. But if you live in an area where Nitrox isn't readily available, then odds are you'll never feel like you missed out on anything. By the time Nitrox is a standard for divers, you'll be ready to swap computers to something else.

JohnF

As cheap as nitrox computers are you might as well get one.

Having said that, it is easy enough to figure out your EAD (equivalent air depth).

You can use a custom blend table, or some algorithm whose name I cant remember or you can go to this website and it will do the math for you.
http://www.schmidt.as/NitroxPlan.htm

Unless it's a spectacular deal, I'd wait and go with a nitrox capable computer. A lot of people seem to gravitate to it eventually. Then again, you can buy the air computer and ebay it later on.

Four years ago when I was new to diving and buying my gear I thought recreational diving would be more than enough for me to enjoy and Nitrox was for the "Hard-Core Divers" and out of the question for me.
I wish I'd listened to the sales person /diver at the shop when she advised me to go with a Nitrox compatable computer. At the time I thought she was trying to squeeze my wallet. Now I know that she was trying to help me out. If you enjoy the sport and follow the natural progression of training and experience you will no doubt be considering Nitrox in the near future.
Save yourself some time and money and get it now...

My two-cents worth,
Bmer

z28pwr once bubbled...
I'm getting a decent deal on a Dive Computer that doesn't support Nitrox

That's because no one else wants it.

I'm wondering if she will need to use Nitrox later on.
Thanks.

Sooner than you think.

Air computers are a thing of the past.

We both are new to Scuba with only 8 dives and from what we've heard most people use Nitrox to do wreck dives and cave diving.
Not correct. A lot of people use nitrox precisely when reef diving in Cozumel. It is not a technical gas, but something very useful for everyday recreational divers as well to decrease your nitrogen loading. I'd go with the nitrox computer if I were you ... still, you can always dive nitrox even on an air computer (air table), provide you monitor your MOD carefully. So go with the air computer if you must, but don't get put off nitrox diving.

Popeye once bubbled...
z28pwr once bubbled...
I'm getting a decent deal on a Dive Computer that doesn't support Nitrox

That's because no one else wants it.

I'm wondering if she will need to use Nitrox later on.
Thanks.

Sooner than you think.

Air computers are a thing of the past.

HUH? You mean people still dive AIR??? *TILT*

It depends on how good a deal you're gettting on the air computer.

There are many people who never take another class beyond thier OW, and there's many more who dive air only all of thier lives. Buying a nitrox capable computer for these folks is a waste when an air only will serve them well.

I bought my daughter a used air only computer at the beginning of the year knowing full well that it will be replaced at some point in the future. She won't be diving nitrox until she turns 16 - a couple of years away yet. But she has use of a computer right now to help her track NDL's and record keeping.

By the time she ready for nitrox, there'll be new and better computers on the market. And I'll buy one for me and hand down my Vyper to her. :D

One option is to look around on ebay and see if you can buy a used computer. I got my daughter's for $100, the same model new is going for about $150.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom