Oceanic Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelp68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm interested in buying a dive computer.

The 3 I'm looking at are all Oceanic. They are the Datamax Pro Plus, the Pro Plus 2 and the Versa Pro. I'm looking at Oceanic computers because my lds is a dealer.

I've looked at the Oceanic website but I'm not sure I understand all of their info, and I'm interested in input from other divers.

1. I'm interested in thoughts about the pros/cons of these 3 options.

2. Am I correct that the Versa Pro is not air integrated? If I'm correct about this, then I understand the cons of this model.

3. What are the differences, then, between the Datamax Pro Plus and the Pro Plus 2?

Thanks for your thoughts.

It's not air integrated, the main differences between the other two are air integration tools.

The DataMax Pro Plus has some neat trick display options that are rumored to be totally customizable. As well it can be set with Turn pressure and end pressure alarms.

Hi, I dive with a Oceanic datamax pro plus. I chose it over others because it's ease of use and larger screen readout. That and it's nitrox capable, and air integrated. I've logged numerous dives and have experienced no problems what so ever. My only complaint is in the nitrox mode, the computer calculates your depth/time based upon 1.6ata, I would rather it be more conservative say 1.4ata. If I had to do it all over again I'd most likely go with a non air integrated computer and a single spg.
I don't know anything about the pro plus 2, my guess is it's a re-packaged pro plus. Hope this helps.

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
I dive with a Oceanic datamax pro plus. .... My only complaint is in the nitrox mode, the computer calculates your depth/time based upon 1.6ata, I would rather it be more conservative say 1.4ata.
Displaying a 1.4ata MOD would NOT make it more conservative.

Your computer also shows NDL vs. depth. Nothing says you have to dive to either the MOD or NDL. It calculates your O2 CNS loading per the standard NOAA table.

If you don't want to exceed 1.4ata ppO2, then don't. The computer isn't going to somehow magically reach out and drag you down through the water to a 1.6 MOD.

Hey Mike. I, too, am looking to buy an Oceanic computer. I personally, don't like the air integration. I always looked at it that if the computer failed or something...you wouldn't know how much air you had left. It is a nice feature, though, if you had a backup pressure gauge. My father has the Versa Pro and I have to say, I'ts a wonderful computer. I'm thinking about getting that one. The only problem he's had with it is the time. The time would be messed up, not the bottom time, fortunately. I just know that it didn't really effect any of the dives, it just gave an inaccurate time reading. He returned the one with the problem and received another and it works great now.

Well, that's my little bit of imput. I hope it helps!

-MyKO

Thanks for all the responses so far.

ColdH2O and MyKO, I was surprised to read that you're not into the air integration. I guess I just 'assumed' that air integration would be better. Other than the dependence on the computer for your air pressure, are there any other reasons you don't like the air integration?

Mike,

I find the air integration a nice feature, I suppose there is something to be said for being able to get all of you information on one screen. I do like that the computer can calculate your approximate time remaining at any given depth based upon you remaining gas pressure. My reason is only looking at the other route is placement. I think I'd rather have my computer mounted on my wrist. In either case I would abort the dive if my computer failed so that is not a concern to me.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Displaying a 1.4ata MOD would NOT make it more conservative.

Your computer also shows NDL vs. depth. Nothing says you have to dive to either the MOD or NDL. It calculates your O2 CNS loading per the standard NOAA table.

If you don't want to exceed 1.4ata ppO2, then don't. The computer isn't going to somehow magically reach out and drag you down through the water to a 1.6 MOD.

Really? It's not going to drag me down? I'm aware of what you are saying, and that's why I set my own limits. I just don't like the fact that it calculates to the maximum allowable range. I see too many divers dive their computers to the absolute limits and not leave any margin for error, or factor other things such as age, water temp, conditions.

I prefer a wrist mount to keep my hands free, so air integrated is not my choice, I use a Versa Pro, and like it very much, very readable, easy to operate, has a port for optional uploading data-the only problem I have is the battery seems to run down faster than I thought it would, and low battery indicator doesn't seem to kick in fast enough zeN

I have 2 Datamax computers and a Datamax Pro (which is nearly identical to the Pro Plus).

A while back I had a minor concern with my Pro and sent it to Oceanic. In about a week they returned to me a brand new computer with a build date on it that was about a month old. Outstanding customer service!!!!!

The Datamax's have hundreds of dives with zero failures...same with the Pro. Oceanic dive computers are extremely realiable based on my experience and the experience of other diver buddies who have them.

I'll probably hand down my Pro next summer and move up to the Pro Plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom