Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: ScubaPro Aladin 2G for tech diving?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

ScubaPro Aladin 2G for tech diving?

I own a Nitek Duo that I've been fairly happy with overall, but now I have an opportunity to get my hands on a SP Aladin 2G for very cheap, and think it might be a good opportunity to get a backup to my Nitek and (hopefully!) one that isn't so ridiculously conservative. I love the Nitek except for its conservatism. On pretty much any dive I do with groups, I'm the only one who will go into deco while everybody else is diving happily about, BELOW me. It drives me insane.

So, I have two questions:

Is the Aladin a little more relaxed?

I'm venturing into technical diving (I completed Adv. Nitrox and deco procedures) and am currently putting together doubles. I will probably use tables most of the time, but I want to be able to use my computers as gauges.

However browsing the Aladin 2G manual, I stumbled across this: "Gauge mode can be switched on and off at the surface, when there is no desaturation and no-dive in gauge mode has been made in the last 48 hours."

Let's say I'm doing three days of deco diving. Does this mean the Aladin 2G can be used only on day 1 and day 3? I'm really hoping I'm misunderstanding, and that it means I can't GO BACK AND FORTH between gauge and computer mode within 48 hours. But as long as I leave it in gauge mode, I can dive it as much as I wish.

Does anyone know?
    Friends don't let friends buy jacket-style BCs

Registered

Currently On Land

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    As long as you leave it in gauge mode you can dive as much as your tables allow. I have a Tech 2g, same thing different name, and have been happy with it. The DSS mount is a must have.

Although if I was buying a bottom timer today I would get a Liquid Vision.
    AQUA IS LIFE!

Directional Toast
    Go Red - Support SB!

Still breathing

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    The thing Uwatec/Scubapro is concenred about is avoiding a situation where you have on gassed during a dive and then want to switch to copmputer mode. That concern about switching from gauge mode is valid as the compartments levels in the computer would be zero and would not reflect your current saturation levels.

Switching from computer to gauge mode should not present any concerns - but it is still not allowed. The Sol, Luna and Terra offer you the option of resetting the computer (theoretically to loan to another diver who has not bene in the water for 48 hours) and that would also allow you to switch to gauge mode after you reset the N2 saturation levels, but the Tec 2 G lacks that feature.

So...pick what you want (nitrox or gauge mode) and stay with it.

I have heard of a few normoxic trimix divers using it for trimix dives. In you consider tables for 21/35 and air, you'll note the deco is basically identical (at least for one dive per day). That holds reasonably true for trimix as long as the he percentage is fairly low and I think that is why some people try it as well as get away with it.

Personally, I think it's a lot more prudent to stay with tables or invest in a helium capable computer backed up with tables.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Staff Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    I have the same configuration you are looking at. I have been diving a Duo for years and now use the Tec 2G for my primary with the Duo as a back-up for technical diving in gauge mode. The Duo works just the same for the 48 hour non-switchable from gauge back to computer. I am actually quite happy with both, but as I cut trimix tables using V-Planner I agree with the post above and am drooling over a Liquid Vision with the V-Planner software.

Jax
    Forgive your enemies . .

. but keep your gun oiled.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalPlains View Post
    I own a Nitek Duo that I've been fairly happy with overall, but now I have an opportunity to get my hands on a SP Aladin 2G for very cheap, and think it might be a good opportunity to get a backup to my Nitek and (hopefully!) one that isn't so ridiculously conservative. I love the Nitek except for its conservatism. On pretty much any dive I do with groups, I'm the only one who will go into deco while everybody else is diving happily about, BELOW me. It drives me insane.

So, I have two questions:

Is the Aladin a little more relaxed?
    In my research, I have found the Uwatecs (all) are middle of the conservative - aggressive range. You can make it more conservative by 'upping' the microbubble levels and implementing the PDIS.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalPlains View Post
    I'm venturing into technical diving (I completed Adv. Nitrox and deco procedures) and am currently putting together doubles. I will probably use tables most of the time, but I want to be able to use my computers as gauges.

However browsing the Aladin 2G manual, I stumbled across this: "Gauge mode can be switched on and off at the surface, when there is no desaturation and no-dive in gauge mode has been made in the last 48 hours."

Let's say I'm doing three days of deco diving. Does this mean the Aladin 2G can be used only on day 1 and day 3? I'm really hoping I'm misunderstanding, and that it means I can't GO BACK AND FORTH between gauge and computer mode within 48 hours. But as long as I leave it in gauge mode, I can dive it as much as I wish.

Does anyone know?
    On the money.
    "Equality of opportunity or equality of outcome?
    One is consistent with a free people and the other requires a police state. Pick one."
    ~Cool Hardware52
    I, alone, am responsible for my health and safety, my actions and inactions.
    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris
    Ephesians 4:26 In your anger do not sin.

Jax
    Forgive your enemies . .

. but keep your gun oiled.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by DA Aquamaster View Post
    Switching from computer to gauge mode should not present any concerns - but it is still not allowed. The Sol, Luna and Terra offer you the option of resetting the computer (theoretically to loan to another diver who has not bene in the water for 48 hours) and that would also allow you to switch to gauge mode after you reset the N2 saturation levels, but the Tec 2 G lacks that feature.
    FYI, The Aladin 2G computer came out in 2010 as the next model to the Aladin TEC 2G. I'm checking the manual now to see if the above statement is true for the 2G. The above statement is not true for the Aladin 2G.

Uwatec Aladin 2G Manual

- Comes with an Apnea mode!
    - found it! Page 62 - resetting the N2 saturation level
    Last edited by Jax; March 10th, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
    "Equality of opportunity or equality of outcome?
    One is consistent with a free people and the other requires a police state. Pick one."
    ~Cool Hardware52
    I, alone, am responsible for my health and safety, my actions and inactions.
    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris
    Ephesians 4:26 In your anger do not sin.

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I have been very confused by the switch from the Tec 2G to the Aladin 2G. It seems retailers are listing the Aladin 2G as the Aladin Tec 2G or even as the Uwatec Tec 2G.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!