how do you secure your console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
hey, Ive been swimming around with my conslole just dangling around and was wandering what everyone else used to keep it close to you. do you use retractors or what?

Just a plastic clip attached to BC d-ring. The hose clips into this.

Failing that make a bungee loop and use a metal clip to keep it out of the way.

My console is only SPG/Depth on one side and compass on the back so not too bulky.

get yourself a drawbolt clip. I don't have a photo, but lots of others do and likely will provide it.

Take about 8" of cave line and tie the clip to your hp hose right where the hose runs by the D-ring to which it will be attached.

Fasten the clip to your left waist D-ring. If you haven't got a left waist D-ring, use the closest one to that location.

The idea is to secure the hose close to you so that the console remains very close as well, protecting it from dragging or entanglements.

I use a rubber snorkle keeper around the hose and a double ender to attach it to a D-ring at my hip. I also attach a snorkle to my BP under the wing. I figure the snorkle & keeper may come in handy if the boat & I don't meet up at the end of a dive.

When I was using the compass on the console I had a retractor clipped to my BC and it worked pretty well. If you decide to go with a retractor, try to make it such that the retractor is fixed to the BC or at least clipped directly to it, and with a webbing or anything. Otherwise it will still hang down because of the length of the retractor and its attachment.

The retractor is convenient during the dive, but since you have to do some post dive maintenance, it is somewhat of a pain.

I now dive with an air integrated wrist computer and wrist compass. I also have a pressure gauge clipped unobtrusively using a boltsnap. I like my current setting much more than what I was doing, although I would still be using the retractor if I had to use a console.

The nicest solution IMO is to put a retractor inside your left BC pocket and run it through a grommet to yuor console. This way your console will always be snug against the pocket and you don't have a dangling retractor.
Several Oceanic BC's (Flex, Isla,...) have this already built in, but it is quite easy to make yourself as long as you have a pocket in the right place.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Firstly well done for noticing your equipment and wondering if there is a better way to do things... to many divers dont reassess their streamlining and equipment configurations and modify to improve their diving pleasure.

Mine clips to the left D-ring on my waist strap, it is clipped using a boltsnap.

How is this done? I have a cable tie on the guage then an o-ring looped thru that and the boltsnap is on the o-ring. This way I could break the o-ring to release the guage should the boltsnap lock shut. It keeps the guage close to me and it's always in the same place, easy to reach without looking.

Of course it depends if you are using a Jacket BC or a backplate system. The above is for a backplate system.

I really worry when I see gear dangling from a diver, as it will hit coral and maybe be damaging to both marine life and the equipment.

I don't use a consol. I don't see what there is about the end of a HP hose that makes people think it's a good place for a depth gauge or compass. All I put there is a SPG. I use a short hose and bolt snap it to a d-ring on my left hip. The hose is just long enough to reach that d-ring so there's no unsightly loop of hose to swing in the breeze. Perfectly streamline. A consol reminds me of a boat paddle or something and it might work for that but I think it's a lousy way to carry dive instruments. The first problem, as you've noticed is where to put it. That problem exists because there isn't a good place. It just doesn't seem to belong. I put my depth gauge on my right wrist and a compass on my left (or in a pocket).

I wouldn't use a retractor for anything.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I use a short hose and bolt snap it to a d-ring on my left hip. The hose is just long enough to reach that d-ring so there's no unsightly loop of hose to swing in the breeze. Perfectly streamline. I put my depth gauge on my right wrist and a compass on my left (or in a pocket).
Yep that's way.. just like mine ... simple and streamlined .. effective and efficent...

Clipped to right upper chest D-ring so it is easy to look down on. It must be unclipped to take off the BC. I use this position with console or spg depending on what I am diving.

To set up use a clip (metal is best) on a piece of bungee cord that has been attached to the console.

Back
Top Bottom