Oceanic VT 4.0 Preview & Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just got word that the Oceanic VT 4.0 dive computer will be shipping at the end of this month. I'm really looking forward to those hitting the market as they're greatly improved over the VT3 (which I dive in warm water).

I had a chance to demo a VT 4.0 while I was in the Cayman Islands, and wrote an article about the new features and my impression of the unit, with a promise to Oceanic that I wouldn't publish it until the computers were close to being released, which they now are.

Without further ado, here's the article, complete with photos of the test units getting put through the final checks:

Oceanic VT 4.0 Dive Computer Preview

Looks pretty cool, any thoughts on how it might compare to the newly announced updated Suunto D-series? I haven't used Oceanic computers for a few years, but they do have some pretty compelling features.

Looks pretty cool, any thoughts on how it might compare to the newly announced updated Suunto D-series? I haven't used Oceanic computers for a few years, but they do have some pretty compelling features.

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding your question about the new Suunto models. I can't give you a useful direct comparison as I haven't yet had the chance to dive any of the newer Suuntos. I did just take one of their CORE (Altimeter) units with me on a monthlong shoot in Patagonia (photos), and enjoyed using it as a watch though some of the more advanced features were a bit buggy.

The one thing I will say about the Suunto dive computers is that despite coming in some of the nicest form factors on the market, I wish they'd offer the user a way to use an algorithm other than RGBM. I have had a few dive buddies over the years using Suunto computers (Cobra, Vytec, Vyper, D9) that are based on the RGBM algorithm and they seem to always be at NDC limits, while folks with other brands of computers are fine for more bottom time. While I appreciate the conservative approach to dive computer algorithms as an option, I don't like it as the *only* option. Just my 2psi and I can certainly give you a thorough impression if/when I get some Suuntos in the water.

What is the price point? Oceanic does not even have this model on their website...

What is the price point? Oceanic does not even have this model on their website...

It's not up on their site yet because it's brand new. The units are just about to go out to dealers at the end of this month, and pricing information will be available at that time. The article is a preview of the unit that Oceanic allowed to be published just ahead of it's formal introduction.

looks similar in size/dimensions to the veo 3.0...maybe i can get my veo 3 into the vt retractor mount?

Last edited:
Hi Calvin,
nice report.

We have been working on integrating the VT 4.0 into our simulator and plan to release it - along with the VT 4.0 online class - as soon as Oceanic releases the actual product :wink:

oceanic_vt4_ediving.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I'm surprised you did not mention the absence of a digital compass. I think Oceanic is one of the last companies to persist with the analog compass.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom