Uwatec Galileo SOL Strap Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The original rubber strap just tore in half where the accordian expansions are. Computer is a little over a year old and strap is like brand new.

Good thing I was only freediving in 25' of water with top to bottom vis. I could of lost this expensive computer if it was on a deeper dive or during a poor vis dive.

The original rubber strap simply sucks! To add insult to injury. Uwatec wants a kidney for a replacement.

Does anyone have a "more reliable" solution. Something like a cloth strap with velcro?

A dual bungee like the DSS modules would be a better solution. If one bungee broke, the other would keep if on your arm. Maybe Tobin can come up with something. :idk:

i have been waiting for a DSS bungee mount....

I have a loop from the top strap mount that goes round my wrist so if something breaks then it just dangles. Had mine just over 18months with no problems with the strap yet.

Reactions: Jax
Had the same thing happen to my Aladdin Pro Nitrox computer a few years ago. Retrieved it and just clipped the other end to my BC. I make sure I no longer stress the rubber strap on my new Uwatec by placing it above my Nitek Duo and cinching it down so that it is firm but not tight.

With your Luna there should be a like "Plastic Loop". Scubapro started sending those with the Galileos cause Women were complaining that the strap could get tight enough. So you push the pins out that hold the straps, put that "Loop" where the upper strap goes and push the pin back in. And now you can clip it someplace or on a Retractor.

The original rubber strap just tore in half where the accordian expansions are. Computer is a little over a year old and strap is like brand new.

Good thing I was only freediving in 25' of water with top to bottom vis. I could of lost this expensive computer if it was on a deeper dive or during a poor vis dive.

The original rubber strap simply sucks! To add insult to injury. Uwatec wants a kidney for a replacement.

Does anyone have a "more reliable" solution. Something like a cloth strap with velcro?

The same thing just happed to my Luna on a dive in Cozumel last week. I looked to check my air, and the computer was not on my wrist anymore! Fortunately I was able to go back and find it laying on the reef. One of the dive shops just happend to have a Trident Velcro watch strap to get me through the rest of my week.

I've been looking for wider web or Velcro style strap as a more permanent fix, but I haven't been able to find much in an extra wide 38mm width. The original strap is crap. If you own a Galileo computer, you might consider changing the strap now rather than risk losing your investment right when you need it the most.

Reactions: Jax
There is an old thread about how to fashion a bungee strap for the Luna/Sol.
Adam

I think my Luna is over 3 years old now, and in spite of frequent use and being stretched tightly around my forearm, I have not had a strap failure. But, your experiences now have me worried about losing the computer during a dive, so I have fashioned a bungee retainer loop for it, which I can slip my hand through before strapping on the computer. So thanks for the warning.
By the way, I searched for the old thread but couldn't find it. I've never seen one of these loops that PiranhaChris mentioned, but without something similar, I couldn't figure out a way to attach bungees to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom