dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrock1014

Registered
Reaction score
Ladies, I need a dive computer and your advise about BCs was so great (I just dove Cozumel in my new Diva) I thought you all would be the most excellent source.:confused:

I love mine!

I just got a new Aeris AI Nitrox computer. Its small in size but the numbers are big so I can read them. It seems to be right down the middle as far as conserativeness (is that a word?) goes - its backlit for night dives and I have about 30 dives on it so far and I'm quite happy! I picked it up at my LDS for around $500 - I didnt get the software, but it is downloadable.

I dont really do any planned deco diving - my diving is mixed b/t warm and cold water and I'm not very aggressive at all with my dive plans - so this computer is really working well for me - I'm sure you'll get MANY other opinions!

Good luck!

I have a Suunto and they are quite conservative. Do you have any special features in mind? Nitrox? AI?

Diverlady

I like my Suunto Mosquito .... it looks like a large watch (and works as one as well), but it's small enough for a small wrist which was a big plus. Some of the computers out there are huge when you put them on your arm! It has variable settings for how conservative you really want to be, Nitrox capable and can be downloaded to my PC for saving all my dives. My dive shop will change out the battery at no extra cost and I think the new battery was less than 4 bucks. Got it during a sale for less than $400 I believe. Went almost a year before the battery needing changing.

I dive with Aeris 750GT hoseless computer. it's really good. Suunto makes really good computers. Uwatec is just as good, but is on the expensive side. I would recommend getting the Suunto cobra. Me, having experience with hoseless computer, would not recommend getting a hoseless computer for those who depend on their computer to calculate everything for them, because it will have tendency to lose connection every once in a while.

If you want a small computer that you can wear around your wrist, getting a Suunto Mosquito will be great. only down side is that you need to carry around the extension strap if diving in cold water with 7mm suit or dry suit and would require a seperate SPG guage.

I like air integrated computers and I love my Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus. It's not as conservative as the Suunto. In fact Beast quite using his Suunto Vyper and went to Uwatec because the Suunto was so conservative it was really hard to stay buddies with me and my Oceanic. When my DMPP was still showing bottom time, his Vyper would be showing him in deco!

Like tingkka, I've got experience with hoseless computers and I's never recommend one. I also don't like a computer on my wrist. Having all my gauges on a console makes it easy to use my compass while keeping an eye on my depth and air at the same time.

I had my eye on a Suunto Mosquito, mostly for size and options nitrox etc, for a while but my research uncovered a lot of complaints. Now I am saving up for a Suunto Vyper. I know it is large but to my understanding you can take off some of the outer casings and it is much more streamlined. I hope that is true 'cause I really want that computer. Maybe I can wish myself, Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday and bring home a new Suunto Vyper. :D R

My favourite non tech computer to date has to be the Uwatec Smart Pro - It is simply just a computer - nothing else, nothing fancy. But it does a wonderful job!

I would seriously consider having a look at http://www.uwatec.com

Aprt from the fact it is a no frills dive computer, I also like the fact that it is designed in sucgh a way that you can attach a lanyard easily, so you don't loose your investment when the strap snaps.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, let me know!

Paul

Hi All,

I am just wondering if any of your change your own battery for the Suunto Mosquito? Is it difficult or is it better to bring it back to the shop.

Jazz

BIG display. Nitrox compatible (if you want). Easy to program & use. Good backlit display at night with the touch of a finger.

Oh.. and did I mention a BIG display? :lol:

Also, another plus: user replacable batteries that are easily obtained from any Radio Shack (etc.)

BTW, I'm not a fan of AI PCs since I had one and it crapped out on me on more than one occassion, leaving me with no idea as to how much air was in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom