Uwatec Digital 330 Dive Timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Leonfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pros

I bought this timer as a back-up for my main computer and for monitoring my run time against plans for mixed gas decompression dives. I've worn it below 50m though, as the name suggests, it is rated to 330m:

(1) The unit itself is sturdy enough and comes with a solid chunky black plastic wrist mount with a buckle which is easy enough to manipulate even with gloves on.

(2) The device also has no moving parts. Rather than buttons, the three metal 'studs' are used to control the device by simply licking your fingers and tapping them. The system works very well indeed and adds to the general feeling of robustness of the unit.

(3) The interface is tidy and nicely laid out. The dive time is clearly visible alongside a large and clear depth readout which makes it a perfect device for checking your depth and time against a plan.

(4) The device starts up quickly and automatically from 'cold' as soon as it gets wet. Of course, you should always check your primary timer before a dive to make sure that it's working. But, as a back up timer, you can simply jump in to the water and rely on it to start reliably.

Cons

The only complaints people seem to have about this device are - in my view - based on unrealistic expectations. But, for completeness:

(5) Many people are surprised by the size of the unit. Despite what you might think from the photo - this is not a 'wrist watch' sized timer - it is the size of an average dive computer! It can be worn quite comfortably either on the inside or the outside of either wrist. However, it is a little too big to be able to wear comfortably on the side of the wrist (which is where it would be handy to have it when - for example - driving a DPV).

(6) The unit is a timer and not a watch! It doesn't actually have a 'clock' function at all. The memory function can tell you how long your dive was, but, the only way to calculate your 'jump' time is to work out your surface interval and then deduct that time from the actual time taken from another device.

(7) There's no backlight (though without any underwater controls it wouldn't be much use anyway).

(8) Finally, some users have complained that, after the 59th minute, the timer resets to 00 with a small "1 hour" logo beneath the time (which is not immediately obvious if you only glance briefly at the face). However, if you don't know if you've been down for 15 minutes, an hour and 15 minutes, or 2 hours and 15 minutes, then you probably shouldn't be relying on dive technology to keep you safe anyway!

Conclusion

The unit is ideal for the way I use mine as a backup device and to monitor my run time. It's not a computer and it's not a clock, but for less than £100 it's solid and reliable. As long as you know what you're buying then you won't be disappointed with this device.

The only issue is "no battery replacement".
When the battery pack up, you have to buy a brand new one.
MY 12yrs old one just passed away. What a waste!!!

guys, i'm using uwatec 330, but as it was mentioned-there is no backlight. looking for bottom timmer/dive computer with same main functions - max depth, real depth, water T, dive time, ascent speed in m/min, but WITH backlight. any ideas?
p.s. please, do not ask questions-why do you need it, use torch, etc etc etc. just proper answers, pls))))

guys, i'm using uwatec 330, but as it was mentioned-there is no backlight. looking for bottom timmer/dive computer with same main functions - max depth, real depth, water T, dive time, ascent speed in m/min, but WITH backlight. any ideas?
p.s. please, do not ask questions-why do you need it, use torch, etc etc etc. just proper answers, pls))))

check out the Liquivision Xen. It is an OLED display that needs no backlight...basically it is permanently backlit.

Digital 330m Bottom Timer & the Scubapro/Uwatec brand are a convenient & practical brand worldwide and is worth the premium purchase price at authorized dealers for that reason!

Best combination to have on a tropical tech dive:

LCD readout like the Uwatec330m BT --easier to read than OLED in the bright ambient light shallows of 10m depth & less.

OLED display like a Liquivision Zen BT--easy to read in the deep depths or inside an overhead (i.e. wreck or cave); don't need to shine your torch on the unit to read the display like on the LCD. . .

Best feature of both units --additional real time depth averaging readout during the dive.

For me, I use a 21W HID as my primary light, and so reading a LCD display involves finding that certain angle that doesn't create too much glare in order to read it in a dark environment. I don't see this as a big issue, but it is probably the only reason I prefer the Xen over the Uwatec.

For me, this works especially well for blue water ascents where I can keep an eye on my depth when making stops without using my light. I don't quite have the talent yet to stay at a particular depth without a reference (either a depth guage or some physical feature).

I just bought 2 units on ebay as the seller states that battery replacement is possible to perform, but here find that not, did some has open one of this units, i dont know the price for a new one, just paid 51 usd on the auction, and after read ,may be the seller did not place this units underwater to test them? will apreciate any help $_57cv2.jpg

image.jpg

The only issue is "no battery replacement".
When the battery pack up, you have to buy a brand new one.
MY 12yrs old one just passed away. What a waste!!!

SP will replace the battery, no need to buy a new one. I will take your old one!!

Back
Top Bottom