Dive Log software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

falcos

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations on decent dive log software? I own a Sherwood Wisdom, and they haven't come out with theirs 'yet'. But I am aware that you can import/export your dive data to and from different apps.

Thanks

I hate to sound negative but I've looked at at least 30 different packages and to be perfectly honest: They all suck.

I have yet to find any dive software with anything aproaching a professional looking UI. Most are extremely klunky. Scubase is about the most extensive of the logs I've found, but like the rest, it's interface leaves a lot to be desired.

James

James Goddard

Do you know if this software works with the Wisdom. The software that my buddy order and received is not very good. I do a lot of photos and would like to have them part of the dive I took them on.

lwronk once bubbled...
James Goddard

Do you know if this software works with the Wisdom. The software that my buddy order and received is not very good. I do a lot of photos and would like to have them part of the dive I took them on.

To quote their website:

The dive profile tab shows in the dive window if you have imported a dive profile from your dive computer software. Scubase currently supports dive data and profile import from Aeris, Citizen Aqualand Graph, Oceanic Oceanlog, ReefNet Sensus Pro Manager, Suunto Dive Manager and Uwatec DataTrak programs. The dive profile can also be imported from a generic tab-separated file.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't recomending this software, just saying it seemed to be the most extensive of the bunch. As a professional software developer, I can't stand software with bad interfaces. Even Scubase is crap, it's crap that holds a lot of data, but it's still crap.

James

James Goddard once bubbled...

To quote their website:

Even Scubase is crap, it's crap that holds a lot of data, but it's still crap.

James

Looks like there might be a need for some type of community developed software for divers. Something with an open code to it, etc...where you can add modules,etc. And a host of cool import functions that can support as many dive computers as possible...just an idea.

Would anyone be up for it? I could possibly get it organized and setup a website...

I'll check out Scubase just for the hell of it.

Thanks --

falcos once bubbled...
Would anyone be up for it? I could possibly get it organized and setup a website...

I've started to do one myself a couple of times, but that usually lasts about a day. I've been a programmer for 15 years, writing code for "fun" just doesn't have much alure anymore :wink:.

I'd probably be willing to help out here or there on something, or maybe one of these days I'll get off my a$$ and acualy finish one.

James, I know exactly what you mean, I've started my dive log project two or three times now. Usually after I spend any time with Dive Manager from Suunto.

Its actually a lot harder than most people think to actually organize the data in a truely useful fashion, and the UI is a problem unto itself.

To make matters worse, I would ideally like to have the program run on a PC and a Pocket PC so that I can actually enter info shortly after a dive, while I still remember it. But I would like to look at the info on a full PC too. That's not so much of a programming problem, but more of a UI design issue.

I did finally figure out the way to actually manage the data is to put it in an XML file, that way you can move it easily, it can be displayed on a web if you want fairly easily, and it doesn't take all that much overhead. There are better technologies, but in this case simpler seems to actually be better.

What would be interesting here from a non programmers point of view would be a discussion on what kind of features and user interface the perfect dive program would have. I've listed a few already. But others I can think of include:

- Ability to merge two dives together in the log to treat as one dive. Lets face it there are some dives that the computer logs say are two separate dives technically, but in all honesty dropping down to a platform to tie off a buoy and then come back up to wait on students shouldn't be considered a dive.

- Ability to store log info for multiple people and associate that with a single dive. For instance my wife, daughter and I dive together, and it would be nice to enter in the observations from the dive, the site, weather and other info once for all three of us.

- Print out dive logs on different sizes of paper. Of course if I get a Pocket PC version, I might just stop keeping the paper.

is a software engineer who threatened to set something up for my OLD Aladdin Pro that would work with newer OS's (that Datatrack version only worked with DOS and the first W95).

He is presently living the lazy life, and has been known to write "unusual" programs for fun. He wrote a minesweeper game program for the VAX at UF which forced the admin folks to remove it (too many people dialing in to play!), and he wrote a hex editor, both just for fun! :wow:

He may be interested, and clearly not burnt out on programming at this time. I will get in touch with him real soon and see what he says.

I just received my Sherwood Wisdom software yesterday. I can give it credit for being functional. As an example of intelligent UI design, it utterly fails. It's as if the programmers read a book on what not to do, then did it.

It even failed the first time I exited. It asked if I wanted to create a backup of the database. I said yes, it said exception. Not at all impressive. You look at the support topic in the help, and it says to contact the LDS. What are they going to know about computer software? Nothing! Where is the online FAQ, periodic updates, feedback....

I went and looked at the database. It's MS Access 97, and very simple. I'm going to wrap an entirely new interface around the basic data. I'll probably convert the data to some other format, because Access isn't terribly flexible or reliable.

I've noted the suggestions in this thread, and will incorporate them. Any other suggestions?

The resulting program will be distributed free, with source.

I use the immersions dive software and it seems to work well. I have a UTWEC computer and the download interface works very well. You can maintian the log locally, make it to as a web page and post if you like.

www.immersions.com

Mike

Back
Top Bottom