my watch is affecting my compass ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hummer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi i'm just starting to use a compass more, and noticed while practiciing, that my watch which is great for under water ,is affecting the reading on my compass. now i've always wore my watch on my left but not sure what to do b/c i wear compass there also. ,i do have a computer that i just started useing but don't feel at ease with depending on it for the time and everything completely . silly ? or what. but i've always worked with watch and dive charts ,does evryone here use their dive watch on their other arm away from the compass. or are certain dive watches made out of diff. metals .or do most just depend on the comp.

I wear my watch and computer on the right arm. Bottom timer and compass on the left. And usually my compass when navigating is on the back of my hand. Allows me to keep it away from big metal objects while still having all the info I need in a nice clean line. And here's a tip. NEVER pick up lots of cheap costume jewelry on an underwater treasure hunt and put it on your left arm! You will end up swimming in circles.:wink::D

anything that has a battery will produce a small magnetic field.

the compass would have to be very close for it to have much effect.

after these above mentioned struggle, i switched to SPG+Depth Guage+compass integrated, so relaxing and comfortable to use, you could give it a try, i am using Coltri MP4 console, the compass is liquid stabilised and quite accurate

So funny that I just opened this post. I was just looking for a better, wrist mounted compasses or a strap to mount my compass. I've been noticing strange readings from my compass lately and I'm not sure if it's from difficulty keeping it level or something else. I have it on a retractor on my BC and I'm trying to move to a more "DIR" setup, too.
Any recommendations for a good compass, or are they all about the same?
Hummer, good for you practicing navigation! Land navigation will really help with water nav, if that's how you're practicing. I realized recently that I was swimming in circles so I'm planning on lots of low vis Lake "Unpleasant" practice!

So funny that I just opened this post. I was just looking for a better, wrist mounted compasses or a strap to mount my compass. I've been noticing strange readings from my compass lately and I'm not sure if it's from difficulty keeping it level or something else. I have it on a retractor on my BC and I'm trying to move to a more "DIR" setup, too.
Any recommendations for a good compass, or are they all about the same?
Hummer, good for you practicing navigation! Land navigation will really help with water nav, if that's how you're practicing. I realized recently that I was swimming in circles so I'm planning on lots of low vis Lake "Unpleasant" practice!

i use a suunto oil filled micro compass.

Back
Top Bottom