Matching Algos on Oceanics and Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huachele

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am shopping for a back up computer for my Oceanic Veo 2.

I was considering the BUD so the algorythms would match but I saw the Zoop on sale for the same price. I would prefer to have a full function computer as a back up.

I see the advantages of using the same manufacturer are having the same algos and conservative factor settings. And in addition to that, using the same interface and menu system will result in not having to learn two different user manuals.

That being said and Oceanic advertises "diving with an buddy with a different computer? No problem." so how would I set an Oceanic to produce the similar results as a Suunto. I realize that there are a million variables so a general idea would suffice in this case.

Similar results means NDLs and residual nitrogen results (as i am certain that how they are calculated would be different) They would be for purely recreational no stop diving in warm water.

I want to avoid being locked out of one computer as to make it worthless as a back up. I am willing to make the Oceanic more conservative.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this as well, I have a Geo 2 and just picked up a suunto vyper, the suunto algo is a lot more conservative. I tried setting the Geo to conservative mode but it was too conservative compared to suunto. I haven't had the opportunity to dive with them yet so I'm just comparing in plan mode.

I figure if the suunto gets bent I'll use the Geo for the rest of the dive/day. Not sure yet how likely this is as I rarely come close to the limits.

You people are making mountains out of mole hills.

First of all, your computer isn't going to "die" on you unless you neglect it or abuse it (not changing out batteries annually or leave it on the deck and it gets stepped on, sat on).

Secondly the NDL times are within a few minutes of each other for recreational diving regardless of whatever algorithms the computers use.

Thirdly, you want to be safe? Don't suck the NDL bottom time up. Leave a few minutes to spare. When you push the NDL limit, it increases your chances of getting the bend. Just because the computer says that you're on the good side of the NDL it doesn't mean that your body feels the same way.

I agree - probably a non issue and I don't come close to the limits very often. I know the Geo has issues with batteries (I had one last 2 weeks before the low batt came on), which is why I have a second computer now. I think the difference between the algos was 2-5 minutes between 60-100 feet in plan mode.

You people are making mountains out of mole hills.

First of all, your computer isn't going to "die" on you unless you neglect it or abuse it (not changing out batteries annually or leave it on the deck and it gets stepped on, sat on).

Secondly the NDL times are within a few minutes of each other for recreational diving regardless of whatever algorithms the computers use.

Thirdly, you want to be safe? Don't suck the NDL bottom time up. Leave a few minutes to spare. When you push the NDL limit, it increases your chances of getting the bend. Just because the computer says that you're on the good side of the NDL it doesn't mean that your body feels the same way.

I will try from another angle: Assume I know everything about everything but the answer to this one question: How would you set an Oceanic computer with dual algorithms to mimic the results of a Suunto Zoop?

Sorry for the confusion in the original post. I was attempting to word it as to avoid just this type misunderstanding but I guess I didn't do such a good job. Hopefully a more direct question will help.

you can put them both in bottom timer mode, and use tables for NDL

sorry, couldn't resist, and understand you are asking a serious question for which I don't have an answer :)

I would just start diving with one computer, which is enough for recreation diving. Later you can buy another newer computer with nice colors and use the old one as a backup. That's what I've done and am still kicking; knock on wood.

you can put them both in bottom timer mode, and use tables for NDL

sorry, couldn't resist, and understand you are asking a serious question for which I don't have an answer :)

Funny! That is an answer to the question. (insert gold star here)

But then the computers aren't computing.

It's just a menu function. You can choose between DSAT and Pelagic Z+. The Suunto runs an RGBM algorithm that is at least closer to the Pelagic. I don't know the nuances and doubt they are completely identical, but they are probably close and you can probably tweak further by adjusting conservatism factors. If you want them to be identical, best to get 2 that run the same algorithm, but you dont really need that. Just dive to the more conservative one. You should be able to make the differences small Don't know if this gets closer to answering your question. Good luck.

It's just a menu function. You can choose between DSAT and Pelagic Z+. The Suunto runs an RGBM algorithm that is at least closer to the Pelagic. I don't know the nuances and doubt they are completely identical, but they are probably close and you can probably tweak further by adjusting conservatism factors. If you want them to be identical, best to get 2 that run the same algorithm, but you dont really need that. Just dive to the more conservative one. You should be able to make the differences small Don't know if this gets closer to answering your question. Good luck.

Thanks Tmac. That is getting me there. It was tweaking the conservative factor etc... That I was looking for specific guidance. Wondering if anyone has attepted to match up the two computers. What settings did they adjust and how much adjustment was made.

I may still get the suunto and do as you said. Polly go to the PZ+ on the oceanic. I guess I will have to report back with my findings.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom