Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Oceanic computers by Suunto?

Dee
    ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

Question Oceanic computers by Suunto?

Today I got a chance to coon finger the new Oceanic Versa Plus computer. The LDS dude told me that Oceanic computers are no longer being made by Pelagic, that Suunto is now building them for Oceanic. After looking at the Versa, it does have several features common to Suunto and the manual is very similar, too. The Versa is supposed to be very similar to the Suunto Vyper.

I'm wondering if the algorithms have changed. I currently dive with an Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus and Beast uses a Suunto Vyper. The DMPP loads nitrogen slower and clears slower than the Vyper.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Roatan / CoCo View May 10-24, 2014... Come join us!

Has not set a "status"

I saw the ad for the Versa in the latest Skin Diver issue. I was thinking that I am really glad that I didn't buy the Oceanic Data Plus because the Versa has several features that I wanted in my new computer. At the same time I was wondering about the algorithm it uses... Is it as sophisticated as the Suunto RGBM algorithm? If so then it has Everything that I want. I would be curios to hear the answers to your questions Dee.

-kate

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Very interesting....a quick hop over to their website (www.oceanicworldwide.com) and poking around a bit on their descriptions didn't reveal which algorithm they used.

I too like the look of the new system.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Oceanic Versa Pro

Hi,

I recently purchased an Oceanic Versa Pro and I'm very happy with it. It has nice large and clear characters that my aging eyes can see clearly underwater. And gives me the information that I'm looking for (depth, dive time, time available at that depth, temperature, clock time, etc).

The documentation says the algorithm is "based on modified Haldanean Algorithm monitoring 12 tissue compartments, using DSAT database (Rogers/Powell), altitude and O2 limits based on NOAA". It calculates variable deco stops based on dive times. I don't know how this compares to the Suunto RGBM, but would be interested to hear from others.

It has a really nice log book, but the PC interface is not yet available in Australia.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from others who have a Versa Pro.
    I play bass...

Uncle Ricky

- Trusty Shellback

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

Re: Oceanic Versa Pro

Originally posted by treble
    The documentation says the algorithm is "based on modified Haldanean Algorithm monitoring 12 tissue compartments, using DSAT database (Rogers/Powell), altitude and O2 limits based on NOAA".
    This indicates that Oceanic has retained the same algorithm as the older oceanics. Personally, I prefer this algorithm to the SUUNTO. I hope they have retained their tissue loading bargraphs as well, which I much prefer over the "consumed bottom time" of the SUUNTO.
    Rick
    "You can have peace, or you can have Freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." (Heinlein)
    "... they saw the deeds of the LORD, his wondrous works in the deep." (Ps107:24)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hi,

The Versa Pro retains the tissue loading graphs, one for Nitrogen, one for Oxygen. The display contains two bits of information, depth and dive time remaing at this depth, with the option of also displaying either max depth and dive time or temperature and clock time.

It worked well on this morning's dive...
    I play bass...