Uwatec Galileo Luna problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently bought a galileo luna computer at my LDS. I tried it out in my pool (along with a lot of other new gear) so I'd be used to the stuff when I got to a real dive site. Everything was fine with it.

Yesterday I got to a my first dive with it, hit the button to power it up and check tank pressure. It beeped but the screen did not come on. I ended up having to remove the battery and put it back in to get the computer to fire up. It then worked for the remainder of the day with no problems.

Should I take it back to the LDS I bought it from and ask them to replace it or look at it? I'm thinking since it's now working they're likely to do nothing with it.

Last edited:
The rightmost button in accordance with the manual. I tried the other two just now and they don't seem to do anything when it is powered off.

The rightmost button in accordance with the manual. I tried the other two just now and they don't seem to do anything when it is powered off.

Yes that is correct. I would probably call the LDS and let them know, and ask them for advice. One more glitch and I would definitely ask for exchange.

Can I ask you if the battery indicator is showing a full battery as it should?

At 6 dives, I came up and the battery was reading 83%. Took it to the LDS the next day and it was reading 100% again. I've got 9 dives on it now and the battery shows it's down to 66% after my last dive. Today, the battery is up to 83%. None of the dives were in water temps below 70f. Also, the deepest it's been is 73 feet.

The LDS (scubapro dealer) was quite disappointing. They hooked it up to their computer via the irda, read the info from it (nothing diagnostic, just settings) and declared it was fine.

Is this typical battery life for a luna? When I was shopping for computers I kept hearing people tell me the have gone years on a battery. The dealer I bought it from doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it. If it's normal behavior, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and order a box of batteries or something so they can be regularly changed. If not, perhaps someone from scubapro can suggest a course of action for me?

Last edited:
It could be a bad battery. Have the shop replace the battery for you. My Sol starts losing tank pressure when the battery icon is down two segments.

I aggree that it sounds like a bad batery. Mine has been running now for over two years, with the backlight always on and the battery has only just dropped the first battery bar.

Have a look at the other threads on this issue. The root cause for a T1 low battery reading is most likely a faulty transmitter, and not a bad batter. Your LDS does not have the tools to fix the problem. Suggest that you engage Scubapro. They will want you to send in the transmitter and wrist unit. Ideally, your LDS will give you a loaner or arrange for this through closest distributor. Good luck.

I had the LDS overnight it to scubapro last week since I was hoping to dive it in Key Largo tomorrow night. Scubapro says they have it on their bench, there is definitely something wrong but didn't elaborate. They did say they're keeping it on the bench until at least next week.

Fortunately for me, one of my buddies dives the same computer and he can't dive this weekend so I've got another luna on loan for this trip.

Have a look at the other threads on this issue. The root cause for a T1 low battery reading is most likely a faulty transmitter, and not a bad batter. Your LDS does not have the tools to fix the problem. Suggest that you engage Scubapro. They will want you to send in the transmitter and wrist unit. Ideally, your LDS will give you a loaner or arrange for this through closest distributor. Good luck.

It doesn't say anything about "T1" low battery, but eventually the battery did read under 50% and a big "LOW BATTERY" warning began being displayed on my last dive with it. As usual, a few hours after it was dried off the computer went back to reading 100% battery.

My next dive after this is in an aquarium, so I won't need it but I'm hoping to be back up with my own unit by 6/1 when I am planning another OW dive with the buddy whose computer I've got.

Well I have everything back and in operation. Here's the verdict.

Scubapro says the battery was bad, and replaced it. It took about a month. I guess they took it on a number of dives while testing it based on the log in the computer - and their report.

th_WellWellWell.jpg

While they had my computer I had borrowed a buddie's. First time out with the borrowed 'puter, guess what I got? T1 LOW BATTERY. LDS first said it was because the transmitter was losing signal due to some titanium in my neck. I would probably have let it go except that I did a good 15 dives prior to that with the same equipment config and no problem. I ended up paying the 20 bucks for a replacement transmitter battery.

New batteries in both computer and transmitter, now everything is working fine.

It's interesting to note that since I switched dive shops (due to other issues) their story on scubapro warranty has changed. Fortunately it's changed for the better. Mac's sports told me that if I opened the battery compartment on my Luna or changed the battery myself the warranty would be void. I said something to the new LDS about having them change the battery so I could keep warranty and they laughed out loud. "That would defeat the purpose of having a user replaceable battery".

... and so ends the long and not so interesting story of kelemvor's dive computer problems (hopefully).

Reactions: CPH
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom