Suunto Zoop vs Hollis DG03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmartel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, my wife and I are looking for our first computers. The instructor we got both OW and AOW certified with, as well as taking a trip to Grand Cayman with, recommended the Zoop. There seems to be a lot of reviews on the Zoop out there. After doing some research, I've also found the DG03 recommended by others. I like that it can be paired up with a transmitter should I want to go AI in the future. I like that the DG03 has a backlight, but it's also a simple enough task to just shine a light on the Zoop. From what I've read, the DG03 is less conservative than the Zoop is, as well (Good and bad). Both computers are found for the same price online. If it were your money, what would you get? Thanks in advance.

I would recommend the Zoop, proven reliability, cheap, good re sale, very simple to use, battery lasts a long time and is user replaceable added bonus Deep Sea Supply make a bungee mount for it which is more reliable than the standard strap and makes putting it on and off a breeze. It's all a recreational diver needs. People talk about its conservative nature but unless you dive very aggressively or do multiple dives over multiple days its not a big issue. Good luck.

Well multiple dives over multiple days is something we occasionally do. We just did a trip to Grand Cayman where we did 18 dives in 6 days.

Well multiple dives over multiple days is something we occasionally do. We just did a trip to Grand Cayman where we did 18 dives in 6 days.

if you are diving with a group the most conservative computer calls the dive and Suuntos are very common. If you are concerned about the conservative nature of Suuntos then perhaps you should choose something else. To be honest over many years of diving with Suuntos I've never felt overly penalized. Good luck with your search.

The DG03 use the Pelagic Z+ Algorithm which is similar to the Suunto Algorithm. I've done 3 day liveaboard trip in the Channel Island and got 18 dive in and I did a week in Chuuk 23 long deep dive and my Suunto Vytec work great and I had a oceanic computer as my secondary computer and they came out basically to the same profile after a week of diving.

I also vote for the Zoop. We use them for our students and as rentals, and have never had any issues at all. All Suuntos are a bit conservitive in nature, I dive the Helo2 and never felt inhibited by it. In fact, others in my dive group have had to do longer decos on the same dive with Palegic Systems computers. Based on price, performance and reliability the Zoop is a winner in my book. I recomend it all the time, and have my daughter diving one. As a side note, I am not one to use wireless or air integrated computers. Maybe it because I am really old school, but I have seen too many transmitters fail or get confused due to close proximity to other signals. They are nothing but trouble in my book, save the transmitter money for something else.

When price and performance is similar... its which one u like to look at that wins....

It will be good to also take a look at the manual of both to see if the ease of use. Best both get the same unit so that u both can learn together.

I never really trust the transmitter... yet....

Zoop comes in 2 color....

The Hollis DG03 can go into a Deep Sea Supply Bungee mount has a user replaceable battery and can also be put into bottom timer mode if one chooses. This makes the DG03 a good choice as a computer to grow with if the user decides later on to do some technical training it can be used with 3 different gasses and o2 up to 100%. So if you want a computer that will grow with you,I would choose the Hollis.

I've owned a mosquito (4 button suunto) and now a DG03 ( 3button ).

My mosquito served me well for 12 years. I doubt you'd go wrong with the Zoop.

The DG03 won me over because of the bungee mount and it can do things like gas switches and 100% FO2 in case I get into. At this point, it's a possibility. 10 years ago... no. It can also do air integration ($$$) but that's not important to me.

I felt like the mosquito (4 button) had an easier to use menu system. I haven't used the menu system on a Zoop but I suspect it's better then the DG03. I do miss the fact that the log mode on the DG03 doesn't show average depth. That's useful for calculating SAC/RMV.

Also use Zoop for our rentals. Big screen, easy menu configuration, solid design.

Don't recommend intergration- no need to reinvent the wheel (your SPG), they're expensive and potential failure point.

I use a Gecko btw- enough of a computer for me as a diving instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom