My OMS Pressure Gauges gives a faulty reading, very dangerous....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba0326

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased this items 2 year ago and use it for about 30 dives (5 dive trips). My first trip was 2 months after I purchased
During my first trip to Manado Indonesia, I did about 12 dives, this gauges worked very well... everything was ok.

On my second trip to Lombok Indonesia, half a year later, on my last dive (3rd dive) I noticed there some problem with the reading. After spent 30 - 35 minutes underwater about 18-20meter dept, I noticed the reading was still 130 bars. However 5 minutes later, when I checked the reading it suddenly dropped to 70 bars though I have asceneded to 10-15 meter depth, by right I was supposed to use less air. It was impossible that I used more than 50 bars air within 5 minutes in less than 15 meter depth. At that time, I thought I might have read the gauge wrongly.

6 Months later, I went to maldive for my 3rd dive trip for 5 dives. During the first 4 dives, there was no problem with the gauge, everything was allright, and I thought I might have read the gauge wrongly during my last dive trip in Lombok. However on my 4th dives, the misleading problem happened again. After spending about 35 minutes in 20-25 meter depth, the reading showed 130 bars. I know very well my standard of air consumption, I believed the air should be less than 100 bars. At this point of time, I realized something wrong with this pressure gauges. I tried to bang and shake the pressure gauge, and to my surprise, the gauge reading drop to 70 bars. I know that there is something wrong with the gauge, but I believe the problem might be minor, so I decided to use it again on my next dive trip to confirm with the problem.

Few months later, I went for my 4th dive trip to Samui Thailand, I did about 5 dives... watching and checking cautiously on the gauges in every dive, the gauges reading was OK, and the problem didn't persist anymore. Therefore, I presumed that the gauge was ok and didn't have any problem.

Just a week ago, half a year after my last dive trips, I went for my 5th trips to Maldives, on the 1st dive, the gauges work properly, However the dissaster happened on my 2nd dives. The dives was challenging, average dept 28-32 meter with medium-strong currents. After spending about almost 40 minutes in 28-30meter with challenging situation the reading still showed 80 bars. I knew something was wrong with the gauge, I felt my tank was almost empty and breathing was abit heavy, must be less than 50 bars. I tried to shaked and banged the gauges, however the reading didn't drop and stuck showed the air was stil 80 bars. I signalled my Dive Guide that there was some problem with the gauge and called to end the dive. I ascended slowly to 5 meter, spent another 3 minutes for safety stop, before surfacing. On the surface I tried to shake the gauge and bang it, finally the reading drop to 20 bars. This is really dangerous, If I have not known about this gauge problem, I might think that I still have 80 bars in 28 meter depth and I won't have enough time to do safety stop, I might have run out of air..

After this dive, I decided to not to use this gauge anymore and change it with the gauge rent from the divecentre. I am very dissppointed with this product and this misleading reading might be dangerous to anyone life.

I think I would have had it looked at or replaced it after the first malfunction!

They are sealed units so not much you can do with them except replace. It's a mechanical device, unfortunately these things happen from time to time. In itself a malfunctioning SPG should not be a life threatening event. Fortunately they are not too expensive in the scheme of things. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the next one.

Thank you for your adivice and information @Buddhasummer , I've purchased the new one MAres Mission 2 gauge and hope this one would be better.

The OMS gauge is my 2nd SPG, my first one Tusa, the gauge spoilt only after my 5th dives. It really broken, when I turned on the air, the needle meeter didn't move at all. At least I've known it before I entered the water. At least it is not dangeraous giving the misleading

Therefore, I purchased OMS gauge which is much more expensive and believe this gauge must have better quality. I rather it spoilt like my first Tusa gauge than it works inconsistently and giving misleading/faulty information.

Anyway Thank you for sharing your thought.

Bourdon tube.gif

Unfortunately when Bourdon tubes fail (due to crud), they're as good as binned. Sticking needles happen from time to time- as you've experienced, tapping the gauge will often remedy it. Good also for you to realise that gauges can and do fail so there is never a good idea to switch off your brain. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

Thank you for your detailed information @superGaijin now I am clear about the problems... there must be problem with the bourdon tube... So far.. I kept guessing what's the problem with this spg.. now I understand the problem.... your explanation make everything clear now.

You'd also be wise to check your gauges every 5 - 10 minutes rather then letting it go 30 - 35 minutes before realizing there is a problem. Once you know your depth, time and SAC / RMV you should be able to predict what the gauge is going to tell you before you even look at it.

Like others, I am surprised that you acknowledged there was a problem and happily decided to keep diving on dysfunctional equipment. This kind of attitude has killed many a diver. Please be more vigilant in the future.
As for the equipment: did you service it yearly as per the manufacturer recommendation?

Like others, I am surprised that you acknowledged there was a problem and happily decided to keep diving on dysfunctional equipment. This kind of attitude has killed many a diver. Please be more vigilant in the future.
As for the equipment: did you service it yearly as per the manufacturer recommendation?

Save replacing the spool and hooking it up to a tank to check pressure off of a full tank there is nothing to be done/can be done service wise.

PS I think I may have done a day trip with you guys November 2011, I'll dig out my LogBook and check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom