Data Trans + HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liqtor

Reaction score
ok board members I bought a data trans + and can not get it to link i.e. the trans mitter and the Wrist unit are not talking to eachother are there any suggestions to make this damn thing work?
thanks
Lloyd

I have to assume the batteries are fresh.... I'd take it back to the dive shop. A couple of my dive buddies dive this computer, both have experienced problems requiring them to take them back. Once they were tweeked they seemed to be working okay.

Liqtor:
ok board members I bought a data trans + and can not get it to link i.e. the trans mitter and the Wrist unit are not talking to eachother are there any suggestions to make this damn thing work?
thanks
Lloyd

Check and make sure the Transmitter S/N is in the computer, I can't remember which screen number it is but it should be a 6 digit # that will match the Transmitter if it does not then it will not work.

thanks uys acctually tried both of those already notta; guess itll be going back; probably buy a gemini instead.

Liqtor:
thanks uys acctually tried both of those already notta; guess itll be going back; probably buy a gemini instead.

Hi,

I traded in an Aeris 750GT for my Cochran Gemini. I found that the Aeris would occasionally loose the communication link with the transmitter, the signal was always able to be restored by putting the computer closer to the transmitter.

I had about 75 dives on the Aeris and was generally satisfied with the computer, but extremely dissasfied with the software on my PC.

The Cochran software while a little klunky gives me MUCH more control of the set-up and configuration of my computer. It also allows me to review the profile of my dives in much greater detail.

The Cochran Gemini gives me a lot of information while I am diving, of course I am making the decisions. The Aeris 750GT is fairly similar in layout to the Data Trans +, and I believe they use exactly the same software for calculations. The only difference that I am aware of is the slight difference in the display.

The Aeris 750GT tracks your breathing rate but it bases the calculation on the first few minutes of each dive. The major drawback to this method is you can not track your breathing rates along a time line of many dives. The Cochran can tell you how much air (or other breathing gas) you are using in liters per minute. This allows you to relate your air consumption from dive to dive and compare this rate with out of the water consumption if you wish.

The Cochran Gemini is rather more expensive than the Data Trans + but it is a more flexible computer for the future as your experience and training might have you doing more aggressive diving. No computer should replace proper planning for a dive, but it can allow you to deviate from your plan if the situation warrants it. Multi level dive planning is difficult to change in the middle of a dive. If you want to deviate from you plan any good computer can offer you added felxibility.

The information provided to you by the two computers is generally the same, and for that matter it is generally the same for most air integrated computers. The mathematical models and formulas will vary between different computers but they usually boil it down to generally the same information, namely the amount of minutes you can remain at a given depth, and information about oxygen toxicity factors if you are using Enriched Air Nitrox as your breathing gas. Most if not all computers will give you an indicator of your ascent rate, but so do the bubbles you exhale.

For my money the Cochran is the better computer. A nice (and redundant) configuration is A Gemini Tank Unit, A Monitor Wrist Unit (on your wrist), An Intelegent Wrist Unit (on a retractor, in a pocket, or on your SPG), and of course A Submersible Pressure Guage. This setup assumes two High Pressure ports on your first stage. This configuration gives you two timing devices, two depth guages, two tank pressure guages, and two computers making calculations if you should have a computer failure, and most importantly one human brain to make the choices.

The Cochran is more liberal at shallow depths, but about the same as you get below 90 feet. The Cochran allows you to add a level of conservatism prior to the dive while the Data Trans + does not. On the Cochran if you set the conservatism at "10" the computer will base its calculations on a depth 10% deeper than your actual depth, it will still display your depth correctly but the calculations to determine bottom time remaining will use the deeper number.

Happy and safe diving,

Mark Vlahos

wow that was a gulp and a half mark; but I got it all and thanks for the detailed post. I have already ordered the cochran and cant wait to get it.
thanks
Lloyd

Liqtor:
wow that was a gulp and a half mark; but I got it all and thanks for the detailed post. I have already ordered the cochran and cant wait to get it.
thanks
Lloyd
I'd go with the oceanic VT PRO over the cochran comp., we've had a lot of problems with the hoseless air integrated comp. Cochran's regular comp. are fine just the hoseless ones are aweful!

I would not give up on the computer just yet. Take it to the shop have them put it on a tank and give it a try. If they have another in stock try that. I don't think any hoseless system is perfect. When I dive in drysuit w/lights, camera, etc.. the signil sometimes goes out, I just move my wrist towards the transmitter and it picks it up again.

mjh:
I would not give up on the computer just yet. Take it to the shop have them put it on a tank and give it a try. If they have another in stock try that. I don't think any hoseless system is perfect. When I dive in drysuit w/lights, camera, etc.. the signil sometimes goes out, I just move my wrist towards the transmitter and it picks it up again.

If it's never worked ever, I'd be inclined to take it back. If it works, but not reliably, you might not want to give up yet. I had three notable learnings when I got my DT+:

• Contrary to everything I know about RF propagation, it seems to have a better range submerged than it does above water. I can't make any sense of this; I just give my impressions for what they're worth.
  • It HATES my camera and flash. Without the camera and flash along, I never lose transmission. With them along, I pretty much must let go of the camera with the right hand (i.e. get the computer at least a foot from the camera and flash) to get signal.
  • It has a sneaky timeout. After about 10 minutes of no pressure change (just long enough to be the time between initial gear check and final check while standing up to get in the water) it'll quit listening to the transmitter "to conserve battery". This, and the easy way to wake it back up, is buried in midparagraph somewhere in the manual. (IIRC, it's press the right button once.)

These learnings gotten through, I've been very happy with it, and really like having a single dashboard to look at, rather than depth-here, pressure-there, elapsed-time-the-other-place.

--Laird

Mark Vlahos:
Hi,

I traded in an Aeris 750GT for my Cochran Gemini. I found that the Aeris would occasionally loose the communication link with the transmitter, the signal was always able to be restored by putting the computer closer to the transmitter.

I had about 75 dives on the Aeris and was generally satisfied with the computer, but extremely dissasfied with the software on my PC.

The Cochran software while a little klunky gives me MUCH more control of the set-up and configuration of my computer. It also allows me to review the profile of my dives in much greater detail.

The Cochran Gemini gives me a lot of information while I am diving, of course I am making the decisions. The Aeris 750GT is fairly similar in layout to the Data Trans +, and I believe they use exactly the same software for calculations. The only difference that I am aware of is the slight difference in the display.

The Aeris 750GT tracks your breathing rate but it bases the calculation on the first few minutes of each dive. The major drawback to this method is you can not track your breathing rates along a time line of many dives. The Cochran can tell you how much air (or other breathing gas) you are using in liters per minute. This allows you to relate your air consumption from dive to dive and compare this rate with out of the water consumption if you wish.

The Cochran Gemini is rather more expensive than the Data Trans + but it is a more flexible computer for the future as your experience and training might have you doing more aggressive diving. No computer should replace proper planning for a dive, but it can allow you to deviate from your plan if the situation warrants it. Multi level dive planning is difficult to change in the middle of a dive. If you want to deviate from you plan any good computer can offer you added felxibility.

The information provided to you by the two computers is generally the same, and for that matter it is generally the same for most air integrated computers. The mathematical models and formulas will vary between different computers but they usually boil it down to generally the same information, namely the amount of minutes you can remain at a given depth, and information about oxygen toxicity factors if you are using Enriched Air Nitrox as your breathing gas. Most if not all computers will give you an indicator of your ascent rate, but so do the bubbles you exhale.

For my money the Cochran is the better computer. A nice (and redundant) configuration is A Gemini Tank Unit, A Monitor Wrist Unit (on your wrist), An Intelegent Wrist Unit (on a retractor, in a pocket, or on your SPG), and of course A Submersible Pressure Guage. This setup assumes two High Pressure ports on your first stage. This configuration gives you two timing devices, two depth guages, two tank pressure guages, and two computers making calculations if you should have a computer failure, and most importantly one human brain to make the choices.

The Cochran is more liberal at shallow depths, but about the same as you get below 90 feet. The Cochran allows you to add a level of conservatism prior to the dive while the Data Trans + does not. On the Cochran if you set the conservatism at "10" the computer will base its calculations on a depth 10% deeper than your actual depth, it will still display your depth correctly but the calculations to determine bottom time remaining will use the deeper number.

Happy and safe diving,

Mark Vlahos
do you still have your software for the 750gt? I have the hardware but don't have the software and aeris doesn't post it anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom