Suunto vyper not connecting to DM4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonnylynnvick75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was using an Oceanic data plus (will be for sell tomorrow) but was looking around and came across a Suunto vyper with protective housing, usb tether, and program for $100. I bought it, replaced the battery, took it home and tried to hook it to my 10" laptop mini. I downloaded the DM4 software but my computer would not recognize the dive computer, am I missing something? I did not download anything from the CD I recieved with the computer. I assumed the disk was just an older version of the DM4 program. Does it have driver that I need to download from it to my computer?

Last edited:
I know that some of the third party cables do not work with DM4. DM4 likes the Sunnto cable or one of the newer third party cables. There is someone in England or Germany, can not remember which, selling a compatible cable on eBay and or Amazon. I picked one up, my old cable would not sync with DM4 on a Vyper or a Vytec DS, when I tried to use DM4. Once I did get them synced up with the new cable I found out how BAD DM4 is and I went to another logging program. There are several good logging programs out there for Windows and Mac that will work with the Vyper and will probably use the cable you have.

I know that some of the third party cables do not work with DM4. DM4 likes the Sunnto cable or one of the newer third party cables. There is someone in England or Germany, can not remember which, selling a compatible cable on eBay and or Amazon. I picked one up, my old cable would not sync with DM4 on a Vyper or a Vytec DS, when I tried to use DM4. Once I did get them synced up with the new cable I found out how BAD DM4 is and I went to another logging program. There are several good logging programs out there for Windows and Mac that will work with the Vyper and will probably use the cable you have.

Makes sense, When I plugged it up to my laptop it said it found and installed the drivers for the device but then Dm4 wouldn't recognize it. I just got certified so I'm rather new to this. Which program would you recommend?

I use a Mac and like Mac Dive I have also looked at Subsurface, free or shareware?, which is an open source cross platform logging app that supports multiple DC's and has gotten a lot of buzz here. ScubaBoard has started their own logbook program but I don't know anything about it as I have not tried it yet. I know there are several Windows logging programs, Dive Log?. There have been several threads about logbook software on this Board if you want to do some searching.
Hope this helps.

I just looked around, I think I'll give subsurface a shot. I use a pc and its compatible with the vyper

---------- Post added April 14th, 2014 at 01:44 PM ----------

Just downloaded drivers to my other laptop as well as subsurface and everything worked great.

hmm, have trouble connecting my vyper to Suunto DM5. It worked OK on DM4. Cant seem to downgrade to DM4 again...... I have the original cable, windows7. Any suggestions ?

Windows 7 x64 cleaned.
removed Suunto DM5, removed Suunto usb drivers, removed GTK
reinstalled DM5, with GTK and Suunto USB 2.12.0
DM5 launched, Vyper Air plugged with Suunto serial cable. nothing
Connected with Suunto usb cable. Dives imported without problems
Subsurface always importing dives
Suunto DM3.1 always importing dives.

Back
Top Bottom