Noob computer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomGuy1

Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to scuba (working on my open water cert right now) and I am trying to decide on a first computer. I like the idea of a wrist mount computer and like the idea of a watch sized computer so I can wear as a watch while on vacation. I have been looking at the suunto d4i because it can be upgraded to later do the integrated air, but that wouldn't happen for a while down the road. I was also told by a friend that dives this weekend that I might not want air integration, as that is just one more battery that has to be replaced. I would like to have something that can grow with me as I learn and dive more. Are there any other watch sized computers that I should be looking at, or should I forget the watch size and go with a normal wrist mount as a new diver? What other computers should I be looking at?

**Edit** Also, if purchased online, will suunto honor their warranty?

Last edited:
I'm old so I like big displays, they also help in low-vis, dark situations. Wireless AI is nice but I still would have an SPG as primary/backup. I have had enough syncing problems to not trust wireless AI as my only source of gas information. I would buy a second back up computer with the money I would have spent on an AI sending unit.
If you are going to be diving in heavy thermal protection wet suite/drysuit the length of the band can be an issue on some of the watch style computers, a band that fits heavy thermal protection is going to be really long on just your wrist.

Short answer is... no. there are exceptions, of course; some stores that are authorized dealers for Suunto that have a web presence and should therefore honor the warranty. But, you will not see the deep discounted price at the authorized dealer.

Here is Leisurepro's policy:
"Leisure Pro buyers find the best products at the lowest possible prices wherever they are. Since (sometimes) that means that we do not buy it directly from the manufacturer, nor are we authorized by them to sell their products, so we are not bound by the official/unofficial manufacturer's suggested retail prices, and we can pass on the tremendous savings to you. In some instances the product will come without an English language manual or manufacturer's warrantee cards valid in the United States. In those cases, we provide our own Leisure Pro Warranty[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif], which offers equal or greater protection."[/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]What does Leisure pro's warranty cover? I don't know. [/FONT]
[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif](I'm not picking on leisure pro, just an example)[/FONT]

Short answer is... no. there are exceptions, of course; some stores that are authorized dealers for Suunto that have a web presence and should therefore honor the warranty. But, you will not see the deep discounted price at the authorized dealer.

Here is Leisurepro's policy:
"Leisure Pro buyers find the best products at the lowest possible prices wherever they are. Since (sometimes) that means that we do not buy it directly from the manufacturer, nor are we authorized by them to sell their products, so we are not bound by the official/unofficial manufacturer's suggested retail prices, and we can pass on the tremendous savings to you. In some instances the product will come without an English language manual or manufacturer's warrantee cards valid in the United States. In those cases, we provide our own Leisure Pro Warranty, which offers equal or greater protection."

What does Leisure pro's warranty cover? I don't know.
(I'm not picking on leisure pro, just an example)

That stinks. Amazon has the D4i right now for $450 which seems like a great price.

I am new to scuba (working on my open water cert right now) and I am trying to decide on a first computer. I like the idea of a wrist mount computer and like the idea of a watch sized computer so I can wear as a watch while on vacation. I have been looking at the suunto d4i because it can be upgraded to later do the integrated air, but that wouldn't happen for a while down the road. I was also told by a friend that dives this weekend that I might not want air integration, as that is just one more battery that has to be replaced. I would like to have something that can grow with me as I learn and dive more. Are there any other watch sized computers that I should be looking at, or should I forget the watch size and go with a normal wrist mount as a new diver? What other computers should I be looking at?

Do you have a budget? I think that the Shearwater Petrel is terrific ($850). Great as a rec computer, big BRIGHT display, grows with you, and now has recreational mode software so it's easier to use on non-tech dives. No wireless AI, but I stopped using my Suunto Vyper Air and don't miss it, the WAI was very temperamental and often failed to link up. Others have had different experiences... lots of threads on that.

The Petrel is, of course, a big computer. That's a plus for me, as my eyes are 52 years old and a big bright display is definitely something good in diving. If you have young eyes and can see the small displays I guess they are OK (remember, you may be in reduced visibility underwater someday).

If the only reason you want a watch sized computer is so that you don't have to pack a watch for vacation, that doesn't seem like much of an advantage, given the tradeoff in readability, screen real estate, and price (watch sized DCs are usually more expensive than their full sized counterparts).

I'm going to wear my Petrel as a watch so everyone knows I'm just that awesome.

Go ahead, but not everyone can pull that off... :)

MER_album_125.jpg

I am trying to stay <$500. I am quickly realizing that watch sized DCs are more expensive, and yes my only reason for that was to not have to pack a watch on vacation. I don't think I will ever do any tech diving, but may eventually move to nitrox. If I am not going with a watch sized computer, I would say the bigger the better then (within reason). Any suggestions around the $400 mark?

You should also consider that watch-like computers, besides being more difficult to read, often display information in a less clear manner than bigger computers, as the screens are not big enough to display the data and full labels stating what the numbers on the screen mean. Besides, they are frequently more complicated to set up, in terms of navigating their menus through button combinations.

I have enjoyed my wristwatch-style Suunto (it happens to be a D6, which is non-air-integrated and the next step up from the D4 in features, but part of the same D-series/family as what you're considering) for several years now. The advantage to me is that I always know where it is when I'm on a dive trip: my wrist. I will not likely sit on it accidentally or misplace it or have it stolen. Also, on dive trips, in the evenings I enjoy being able to pull up the log on the computer to review dives I did that day--sometimes this happens at a bar or restaurant when someone in my group mentions one of the dives we did. Those whose computers are back in the hotel room will have to wait until they can look at their logs. It's easy to pull up the dive in the log from the computer on my wrist. These are hardly major considerations by most people in choosing a dive computer, but I have enjoyed the wristwatch style for these reasons.

All of that said, as I age, my eyesight is degrading to the point where the tiny screen is getting difficult to see. I do plan to switch to a large-screen computer like a Shearwater or Liquivision.

Air integration would be nice to have had as an option (AI wasn't available for the D6 at the time I bought mine--the D6i was released later as the successor to the D6), but it's not something I'm interested in.

If you like the idea of the wristwatch style, the D4i is a fine computer. A disadvantage of the Suunto D-series, however, is that none has a user-replaceable battery; rather, the battery must be replaced by a service center or knowledgeable technician.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom