wrist watch style computer (amphos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hummer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
was thinking of intergrating everything and just useing the amphos wrist computer.Wondered if anyone here has used one and what did you think about it ,is it worth the money?how complicated is it to work and understand? thanks

Not a huge fan due to personal preference. They're used by our divers at the aquarium I work at.

It's marketed to be your everyday watch that's also a dive computer.

Things I don't like follows:
- Safety stop function is a very small 15'|3:00 timer at the very top of the watch. Hard to read if you need bifocals (main complaint among my volunteers). Other computers I've used show this front and center. In addition, dive time is also pretty small. Shares the same spot and font as the 3:00 counter of your Safety Stop interface.

- Can't show your time of day within 10minutes after you've surfaced. It only shows your SI or your log book. Most computers will display all these things with some button pushes. After 10mins you can go back to watch mode.

- Log book only shows your start dive Time of Day, not your ending dive Time of Day. Other computers I've used show both.
Nothing some simple addition can solve, but I'm lazy.

- Wrist strap is too small for anything above a 3mm wetsuit if you wear the computer higher than your wrist (often the case with dive computers and cold water diving). It comes with an extension strap, but I also have small wrists. The extension strap also isn't designed to be cut or trimmed to your preference. You can do it, but it's going to look ugly.

- Max depth is hidden on the secondary screen and requires a button press to see. Most computers I've used show it on the primary screen, which I find helpful.

- Stop watch feature is wonky. You can push a button to see your LAP time, but then your timer never shows up again. It's still counting but you're stuck on that frozen LAP screen until you stop your watch or freeze another LAP time.

- Very VERY sensitive ascent rate alarm once you hit 10ft and higher. I reach my hand over my shoulder to pull my Right shoulder dump valve and the computer (on my right arm) screams at me. Every single one of my divers hears that ascent alarm at least once during their dive.

- Wrist strap is not depth compensating like other rubber wrist straps.

Things that are good:
- Great backlight that's actually effective in many lighting conditions
- Alarms are very audible
- Lots of user preferences
- Small profile
- user changeable battery
- Very easy to understand and operate if you read the manual
- Can download your profiles to your PC
- Available screen protectors are flawless. You can't tell they're there.

Overall my preference is with my Sherwood Insight. I like it's interface better, but it lacks your every day watch features. Not that I'm yearning for that in a Dive computer.
You can dowload the manual online and see some pictures of the computer interface.

Last edited:
We recently released a class for the Amphos Air and we have the Amphos Air in all our simulators

thank you for the replies,i have decided not to go with this product b/c to me personally as a recreational diver,there are too many gadgets i don't need. Manual i read seemed so complicated and too confusing between modes,there really are some things i really need for a computer,and the rest just don't get used .

thank you for the replies,i have decided not to go with this product b/c to me personally as a recreational diver,there are too many gadgets i don't need. Manual i read seemed so complicated and too confusing between modes,there really are some things i really need for a computer,and the rest just don't get used .

You'd do fine with a simple puck style computer costing $200-$300. If you insist on blowing serious coin on a computer, get one that's reliable, well supported, and simple...try reading the manual for this: Petrel OC/CC Standalone | Trimix Dive Computer for Tech DivingShearwater Research Also check out the most recent firmware update's release notes, which explain the Recreational Mode they just added as a free upgrade.

i have a dive tune up class coming up, and the instructor is bring along the wrist and also a profiler computer for me to try.Should be interesting to see them used during class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom