First Dive Computer Oceanic GEO 2.0?? OCS??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver2005

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, Im looking to buy a wrist-watch style dive computer for the first time. Something I can wear topside and during a dive. I've been interested in the Oceanic Geo 2.0, Oceanic OCS (although i think they have stopped selling OCS as i don't see it on their website) Any thoughts/advice/recommendations from your experience and knowledge? How are they compared to Suunto?

Im an AOW with 50dives, Deep and EANx Specialty. Im looking to do more specialties and hopefully Divemaster. My budget is upto $800.

Hi Chirag,
I cannot provide any info on the Suunto (although I see a lot of them on the wrists of lots of divers). I have the Geo 2, and I cannot think of anything about it that I do not like.

It has been reliable for me so far (have used it on 30 or so dives). I like the fact that it allows you to select between two algorithms, which I do not believe the Suunto will allow.

The Geo 2 is not air integrated, so if that is something you would like in the future, the Geo is probably not the computer for you.

Hope this helps!

I have both a Geo 2.0 and a suunto vyper - both are fine. If you want a more liberal algorithm then go with the Geo.

FYI - my wet mode no longer works on my geo (60 ish dives) and it doesn't feel as sturdy as the suunto.

If I had to do it over again I would get a bigger interface (not a watch type). I have a watch to tell the time when I'm not diving.

Thanks for your posts guys...that's helpful

Incident, I'm not looking to integrate air in the near future as I prefer the console...this way I can get a good watch type dive comp for a lower budget...did you find the interface hard to use? As I've read that the manual is difficult to understand....

Scubanoobi, I, did you send it back for checking why the wet mode doesnt work? What was their response?

I did not send it in as it was just over the 2 year warranty.

I no longer wear it as a watch btw. Only when diving when I need a backup.

The instructions are harder to use than the computer! Best way to learn the thing is just work your way through the various menus and then do it again a few more times.

It's really not difficult to set up the various alarms or utilities, and on a dive, the computer gives you all the info you need in a very easy to understand way.

Thanks for your posts guys...that's helpful

Incident, I'm not looking to integrate air in the near future as I prefer the console...this way I can get a good watch type dive comp for a lower budget...did you find the interface hard to use? As I've read that the manual is difficult to understand....

Scubanoobi, I, did you send it back for checking why the wet mode doesnt work? What was their response?

I have about 150 dives on my Geo 2 and really like the computer.....

What I don't like is the strap. They don't last long, and it's surprisingly difficult to get a replacement. Also, I don't find the strap to be "drysuit friendly".

My next computer may be another Oceanic, but only if it fits a bungee mount.

ive been going through the dive nav training classes and its actually not very complicated to run through the computer..i went through the manual also but i think it makes things sound much more complicated then it actually is...ive ordered the geo 2.0 i'll be getting in 10days ! exciting stuff !!!

I'm sure you'll like that computer. I have about the same level of experience, and have been using the geo 2. It's very user friendly once you take one of those little online training classes for $6-ish. I did not love the size of the face and the illumination when I was on a wreck dive at 85' in low light and poor visibility. It worked, but I had to look more closely than I had ever needed to do at 50' on a sunny day. After a weekend diving, I often "forget" to stop wearing it for a few days because it's a nice watch and reminds me how much fun I had over the weekend. I'm looking to get a more serious computer for cave diving and will keep the geo 2 for backup and for recreational diving on vacations.

I dive an Oceanic VT3 as my primary computer. I dive a Geo 2 and a SPG as backup.

I've had the Geo 2 nearly 3 years and 312 dives. It has been flawless, one easy battery change to date. It comes with a strap extension, don't know why pjhansman found it unfriendly. I find it too big for a watch. It's the easiest Oceanic computer I've owned to operate, have been diving Oceanic since 1999 and am quite fond of the DSAT decompression algorithm for recreational dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom