Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucianocunha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have read a lot of threads here already about different recommendations. I have also read info about computers. But yet still I would like and appreciate your opinion.
I am new to diving. Certified and looking to progress to AOW and make my way up to DM. So, I want something that will last with me as I grow in the sport.

I am a recreational diver and a bit of a techie so like gadgets. I don't necessarily see myself going into tech diving though. Here are some of my criteria that I would like your input on:

1. Wrist (it doesnt have to be watch like as I will not use it as a watch so no preference in size here)
    Sometimes I feel here that the bigger the screen the better it will be. Have read great reviews of watch like DCs though.
  2. Downloadable dive log is a must for me: I want to download the data and look at the details. I am not only a techie I am also a data freak so would like to have it connected
  3. Integrated Digital Compass: Not a lot of people talking about having one with a compass built in. I would like to wear one thing rather than many so seems like having a compass feature would be good.
  4. Easy to use as my memory isn't that great and I don't want to read a manual every time I go diving
    I like to having things telling me what to do. Not to say I would not be on it and know what to do and own the dive but I like having a second brain thinking on my wrist and telling me rather than just me figuring it out. Audible alarms are great here.
  5. AI: I have read different views on this as several people just say why would one need it but I would think having it in addition to a secondary gauge would be a good thing. I have also heard from other divers that they wish they had it.
  6. Imperial and Metric (another reason why I like the AI idea if this changes accordingly. So my air can also be changed around... I dive all over the world and sometimes having the same numbers as my buddy is helpful.)
  7. user replaced batteries though this doesnt seem to be as big of a deal anymore as they are mostly this way now
  8. brand: I just need good customer service if the unit doesnt work and would like to have good tech support to get things fixed. I had a bad experience with Cressi in the US and hear others have had similar experiences.
    I also saw the other post with the top choices... though I don't have to have a Suunto because it has more market share it implies to me that the top guys on this list are there to stay and must have something good:
* Suunto (31.6%)
* Oceanic (27.0%)
* Aeris (11.9%)
* Uwatec (6.6%)
* Mares (5.3%)
* Cressi-Sub (3.8%)
* Sherwood (3.5%)
* Scubapro (3.1%)
* Genesis (2.8%)
* Tusa (2.0%)
* Aqua Lung America (1.3%)
* Seaquest (0.8%)
* Zeagle (0.2%)

My goal is to get something below 1000 USD.

What is your recommendation? Your thoughts are appreciated!

AI is your killer. Nitek Q would be good option for all of that around $500 but no AI. For me, you still need to have a manual HP gauge on there and the transmitters are enormous. Manually clock your gas pressures in and out and the logging software will take care of SAC rates.
Digital compass is good for approx readings, but all but useless for actual navigation purposes because you can't guarantee that you are keeping it straight the whole time you're kicking. 99% of all divers are useless at compass navigation anyway, even those that teach it. Best answer to this is to take a rectangle piece of plexiglass, sand it down, superglue a cheap $15 walmart compass to the bottom left corner, zip tie a bolt snap to the bottom right corner and use that for navigation and slate use.

Nitek Q $500-cheaper, can be had with compass feature
Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite NiTek Q - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Shearwater $850 overall better computer, no compass option
Cave Adventurers - Shearwater Petrel - OC/CC - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Digital integrated compass eats up the battery...Most people regret getting a computer w/one.....Compass mode only stays on for a short while, so if you're trying to navigate you have to constantly press buttons....I use two Oceanic VT3's, for OC diving.......User replaceable battery, easy to read, set-up, user friendly, batteries last longer than the other computers I tried and DSS makes bungee wrist mounts for them.....But like most gear, it'll come down to personal preference.........

Ok you guys talked me out of the compass integrated thank you for that! Would you still recommend the Nitek Q tbone1004? even without using the compass?

I have read about the Petrel and lots of people talk about it. It is a tech computer which now has some recreational screens. Questions:
Is it really as good as everyone says?
How is tech support and returns if there are problems?
Is it easy to use?
Does it have AI?
I heave heard people saying that if they had to do it again they would do a Petrel but as a experience diver that would be the case my concern is that as a newbie that would be harder. Thoughts?

J2s
Thanks for the feedback. I had read some things about the compass and what you said above put it all together for me so I appreciate it. Ruling that out!
I will read up on the VT3s and will have some questions later I am sure.
Do you have them with AI? Is it worth having the AI?
Have you ever had any issues with it and had to user customer service or tech service?

Thank you for your thoughts. More are always welcome!

---------- Post added July 21st, 2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

By the way: For others information (since I didn't catch this earlier) American Underwater Products (AUP) announced today the merger of two of their recreational dive companies, AERIS & Oceanic effective September 1st, 2014.

Last edited:
neither the Nitek nor the Petrel have AI. You don't see many tech divers with AI, hell you don't really see any tech divers since it doesn't really do anything valuable other than cause another thing to go wrong via electronics. It would also be insanely expensive to outfit a rig with enough sensors to monitor all of your bottles on top of having to put normal SPG's on them anyway. If you ever decide to sidemount because you blow a knee out or you have back problems, you then have to find an AI computer that supports two senders, as well as deal with all of the extra clutter there. Liquivision Lynx is the only one I know of that will support up to 10 senders and they are $650 each.... yikes! Start doing light decompression on a separate bottle and you're in the same situation.
The Q and Petrel are very intuitive to use, I prefer the Petrel for what diving I do but in your situation the Petrel would be hard to justify almost double the cost. All of the regular alerts are right there in the front, hell almost everything you need to know is in the front page and you don't really have to hit any buttons unless you are switching gasses to deco.

Shearwaters CS is second to none in the industry and DiveRite's isn't bad at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQGLeXu6fys
You can see a video of what the Nitek gives underwater there. Shearwater gives you all of the same data just in blue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Mxzl2u7Ow

both of the computers are great and will be more than you will ever likely need since they both do full trimix. Nitek is rechargeable via USB port. Uses mini usb instead of micro which is somewhat irritating since most devices now are micro, but oh well. Petrel needs AA batteries and syncs via bluetooth. It comes with a usb bluetooth thing on the off chance you want to use it with a desktop.

You said "now has some recreational screens". I would argue that you still need all of the info that's on there, you just get the extra HE% on there that you won't use, but you need the nitrox support. Haven't used the "recreational mode" on there, but may try it when I'm working with students running air. The Petrel is definitely more techie than the Q, piezo buttons instead of push buttons, colored screen, incredible software. If that is worth the $250 more for it, then go for it, if not then get the Q, either one is going to give you all of the info you want

Scubapro/Uwatec galileo has all the stuff you want. Customer service quality totally depends on your local scubapro dealer. They list for over $1k but I think I paid just at 1k for mine. There's some kind of pre-authorized discount for scubapro stuff.

I just switched away from a galileo to take up cave with a shearwater. I didn't care for galileo's compass at all (that's not why I switched, just an aside).

If you're okay with used, I think I saw one posted on this forum for sale very recently.

Edit: here's the guy selling a used one http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...7592-scubapro-galileo-luna-w-transmitter.html

Personally, I'd get a Petrel if you're spending that much money and for that kind of diving, but that means no AI and no built-in compass.

If you're working, though, you probably want an SPG. It's not about convenience of logging your air consumption for such dives, it's about reliability--you can't be stuck wondering what your pressure is when you and a client have to make an ascent together on your air, and gee do you have enough for any stops required. AI is more prone to intermittant failures than SPGs even if the 'It's Dead Jim' failure rate between the two types of devices isn't all that different. AI is also one more battery to watch, and a less common one at that. Petrels eat any AA you can find.

On the compass, I would say not to put all your eggs in one basket. Navigating is generally a convenience/doing your job of guiding well thing, but a compass can also become a safety device. I wouldn't put that on my DC, where an electronics failure would also knock out my ability to find North. Get a Suunto SK7 in a DSS boot and move on with life--the bungies on it make a great mounting point for a tiny knife.

Read the Petrel's manual and the manual for the Petrel rec software...I think you'll see the Petrel is very easy to use for even a newer diver, and not just with the Rec Mode, but even in the OC Tec Mode. I compare it to the U/I on an Atomic Cobalt in terms of ease of use. And there's really no comparison between Shearwater's customer service and any other brand you mentioned.

You will have to search for a long time before you find anyone saying anything bad about the Petrel. Seriously, I never really liked a dive computer before I got mine. It is AWESOME.

If you must have AI, then I guess it's not in the running. But if you read the boards here regularly, AI is hardly universally loved. I have a Suunto Vyper Air which I no longer use, even though the transmitter is still on my regulator. Don't miss it. Brass and glass SPG is the way to go. My AI was unreliable, often failing to link or dropping the signal. Also, the digital compass in the Vyper was pretty useless, and if you want to monitor depth and heading simultaneously, hard to do with a digital compass.

Here are some random benefits of the Petrel:

Display is VERY readable, especially for those of us with aging eyes.

Display is very customizable, including the new "recreational" mode

Obviously something that can take you as far as you ever go with diving (tech, CCR, etc..)

User replaceable battery with simple AAs, can find them anywhere

Built like a tank

Customer service is incredible. I emailed them yesterday to clarify something in the manual. They wrote me back within around six hours, at 11 PM on a Sunday night!

Battery lasts a long time, despite a very bright display.

Very well thought out data display, if you ever get into tech diving

Options for multiple algorithms (VPM-B, GF)

Pressure buttons on the side work really well

Bluetooth log download works perfectly

SO, if you decide that you don't need AI and the compass, check out the Petrel.

Would you consider second hand, or must it be new? Lot of good options under $1,000 if you are willing to go onto eBay or Craig's List.

US$1,000.00 for a dive computer!!!
I only need to spend less than US$600.00 on a Puck + Zoop + one analogue compass. The rest go to the travel fund.

Back
Top Bottom