Does ScubaPro Galileo Luna Computer .....is better buying than suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to upgrade from my Suunto ZOOP...to the Galileo Luna Computer with ScubaPro Uwatec PMG Upgrade

Have a few ( many :) ) questions.....thx in advance ! to any answer/comment

1. Does the big screen makes a difference ....?
or the watch is too big in the real world?

2. What is the actual difference vs. the SOL

3. Galileo Luna is equal to Suunto D6i or D9i ?.....or D4i :)

4. How is Galileo Luna Vs. the Suunto D6i or D9i.....usability, "logarithm" UI etc.
which one you prefer ?

5. Any known technical problems with the Galileo Luna.... ?
I read reviews from 2012 that it was constantly losing signal with the transmitter?
does Scubapro fix this on 2013 models

6. ScubaPro Uwatec PMG Upgrade is a must? for up to 100 feet diving profile? with 32/36/40 nitrox ?

and bottom line Does the 2013 model - is a good buying ?

Many THX

It's a lot of money for a recreational dive computer. I don't see any reason for the PMG upgrade unless you're planning on decompression dives, and if you are, you should be looking at a different class of computer--Shearwater or Liquivsion.

Last edited:
It's a lot amount of money for a recreational dive computer. I don't see any reason for the PMG upgrade unless you're planning on decompression dives, and if you are, you should be looking at a different class of computer--Shearwater or Liquivsion.

Ok.... now I understand I don't really need the PMG

Recreational dive -profile, Yes....but almost 170 dives on my first year .
next year I will probably dive more

In this stage, comfort and smart upgrades is what I'm looking for.
The ZOOP is OK! - the Galileo Luna looks to me as more than just next lvl
....so why not ? tempting...

But still, I have alot to learn about diving gear etc. that is why I'm starting here
:)

I have an opportunity to buy the ScubaPro Galileo Luna 2013 model + the transmitter, for a very good price.
But the price is not the only parameter that interest me. as I specified on my list

any comment about all / part of the questions will be much appreciated

I have the Galileo. Why because I'm old and need to see the fine characters and with my Suunto Vyper was often not sure what I was seeing. The transmitter is a nice feature, but doesn't eliminate the spg and the thing is a bit vulnerable. And my daughter started diving so I could pass the Suunto on. I like the Galileo because everything you want to know is there on one screen and changing the oyxygen level,with Nitrox is very easy (as opposed to the Suunto. The Sol only has the heartrate monitor included, which is not a thing I care about. If you want a New gadget get it, is it an upgrade, I think not really. My SO, the DM in the family uses a Zoop for > 15 years and Aside from battery changes, it is still working fine! If you're getting in to advanced diving there are better options, as stated above. The amount of diving you do doesn't imply you need anonther thingie :) if it's the same type of diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added July 26th, 2014 at 06:52 PM ----------

I think it's a lot like the D4 in features. But the D series by Suunto are not suitable for me, as I wouldn't know what I was looking at. Mine is a 2011 and as long as the transmitter is on my right side and the computer on my right wrist it never looses signal. If I wear it on my left hand, the transmitter on the right side of the first stage it sometimes happens. If you want to download the log and change certain settings, you need an infrared port on your home pc. These were cheap and everywhere, but have become extinct and harder to find. Apple's IOS doesn't support them mostly so that would take a bit of research to find what works. Pro the infrared port is that it will not leak :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i have had the luna for 3+ years and been pretty happy with it, i haven't had a lot of trouble with the transmitter as long as i keep the transmitter on the same side as the computer. i did have a wrist strap fall apart. the sol does come with the heart rate monitor as mentioned but it also comes with the pmg software. there is also a free download for trimix divers on the sol, the luna requires the pmg upgrade.
the new transmitters are said to be better than the old ones, i have never even seen one. as others have said you will have to keep and spg but that can be a small clipped off 1.5 inch that you may never use on a dive. i compare my spg with the luna at the start of each dive and rarely see it again.it is expensive. i like the display everything is there at a glance. but if your happy with the zoop why change.

, i haven't had a lot of trouble with the transmitter as long as i keep the transmitter on the same side as the computer.
i did have a wrist strap fall apart.
the new transmitters are said to be better than the old ones, i have never even seen one. as others have said you will have to keep and spg but that can be a small clipped off 1.5 inch that you may never use on a dive.
I compare my spg with the luna at the start of each dive and rarely see it again.
. but if your happy with the zoop why change.

Thx M8....

The "happy with Zoop " is not the issue in my case ...I always seeking better experience - not only in diving...
I also was happy with the "Mares rover" reg....until I came across the Scubapro MK25 / S600 :)....
I is all a matter of perspective

Does any one know if the "losing signal" issue is a common problem also on other transmitters - like Suunto? that force you to keep the transmitter on the same side as the computer?....is it the right way to use a transmitter ?

And, can you update the firmware version without the USB INFRARED INTERFACE (IRDA)?

any comment about the other questions will be much appreciated

:)

Thx

I have the Sol. You need the irda interface to upgrade the software.

It is total overkill for my purposes, but I like the big display and the easy user interface.

I have the Sol. You need the irda interface to upgrade the software.

It is total overkill for my purposes, but I like the big display and the easy user interface.

THX....
I think that is exactly my point. A big display and the easy user interface?
- is definitely a very good reason to upgrade....even if I will not use some of the Features
(also a very good price - for a 1 year old computer. like new )

I simply want to make sure that it is also a good computer of Scubapro ( like there are no doubts about the M25/S600)
without any major bugs,that will avoid a functional use.

for example the losing signal of the transmitter ? that divers were complaining about on 2011/2012? worries me ....
Did scubapro fix it on transmitters / firmware from 2013 ? onwards ? etc.
how can I find out a based answer?

Loosing the signal is mostly a blimp. It's most often back whit in a second. So for me it's no worry. Since I put it on the same side it doesn't happen anymore. I have had for about a 1.5 years now, about 110 dives and am still happy whit it.
I wouldn't know if it's fixed, maybe ask Scubapro :)

I have an old Luna I like it and it works fine. Like c5diver stated keep the transmitter on the same side as the computer.
Best advice... Get a Shearwater it will do everything you need now and years from now regardless of what type of diving you plan on doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom