Help with my first DC? Invest now or spend more later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolflegresley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
BIG thanks to any comments/hints!

I have 2x Scenarios...I can buy my basic dive computer and in 1-2 years (when I begin getting into tech diving) buy a more expensive computer. OR I can buy the more expensive computer now and hope that in 1-2 years it'll still be able to do the job.

1. If I want to buy a cheaper computer that will do me well until I start getting a little more advanced what would you recommend?

2. When its go time for more advanced diving tec/rebreather, what would you recommend?

3. Am I wasting my money now by buying a cheap computer if I plan on buying a high end one in 1-2 years?

Some background information for my "cheap" computer:

Looking at getting into nitrox in the next 6 months
When I dive I always perform repetitive dives (sometimes 3-4 but normally 2-3)
I prefer having the computer on my wrist for ease of looking
Air integration is not a consideration for me as I will prefer my SPG for this
ideally i'd like to be able to change the battery
Conservative: I would like a computer that's sort of in the middle, not too conservative...and not too risky
I'm ok with the computer being a large wrist mounted unit over a "watch style" but I'm more concerned with functionality.
I'll want easy to hit buttons as often times I'll be wearing 7mm gloves.
ideally $500
Imperial and metric
Easy to use
Great customer service in Canada

Currently I'm considering the following computers:

Suunto Vyper
Mares Matrix
Mares Nemo Wide

Some background for my "advanced" computer:

Looking at getting in tech diving with in 1-2 years
Again I would prefer it on my wrist
would like to be able to switch gases on the fly to decrease deco times
Nitrox capable
Would look at tri-mix capability within 2 years of becoming a tech diver
I'm ok with the computer being a large wrist mounted unit over a "watch style" but I'm more concerned with functionality.
I'll want easy to hit buttons as often times I'll be wearing 7mm gloves.
Imperial and metric
I would like the possibiltiy of this computer carrying me into CC/Re breather
ideally $1100ish
Easy to use
Currently I'm consdiering :

Sunto DX
Shearwood research Petrel

Help?

Buying a good but inexpensive computer is no waste of money. Many tech divers carry a 2nd computer, either as a computer or in gauge mode. it's also nice to have a simple, less expensive computer for recreational dives, and as a backup on dive trips, If you really think you no longer need the more basic computer you can always sell it. For that matter you can also save money by buying it used in the first place. Folks I know who have the very expensive models seem to love them, I love all the other things I can do with the cash I didn't spend.

I would not buy a tech dive computer until you are actually a tech diver. No sense spending the money on one shiny new model only to take a loss on reselling it because you realize you need or just really, really want something different. Actually about 1/2 the tech divers I know use 2 ordinary computers both set to gauge mode (or 1 in gauge mode & 1 bottom timer).

I've only ever used several Suunto models so I can't compare them to other brands. They have been tough and relatively cheap, the HelO2 is quite inexpensive for a trimix computer (esp. bought used as mine was). A Suunto's buttons work great with thick drygloves but the computers would be improved by larger, brighter displays.

Last edited:
Much appreciated - would you recommend for a new diver the zoop over lets say something like the vyper air?

If you have already determined that you're going to go tech, get the Petrel. Today, you can use it as a recreational computer all day long. In 1-2 years, it will be able to do everything that you want to do and more.

I would buy a Vyper because I'm very put off by the fact that the Zoop doesn't have gauge mode. If resale value matters to you it also seems a little harder to resell the most basic model (i.e. nowadays the Zoop).

As for Vyper as opposed to Vyper Air I don't think air integration is worth a great price difference. The transmitters cost a pretty penny, also something you can buy used though. There seem to be lots of cash flush guys that want all the best and most cool toys, and then get tired of them in just 1-2 yrs. I got my transmitter as a free extra on a used reg set. I never would have bought one at retail. Air transmitting is nice and has worked well but I don't feel comfortable relying on it and still have an air gauge too. On the other hand if the Vyper Air model isn't much more expensive than the regular model then what the heck, you can always pick up a transmitter later if you see one at a good price. Additional capabilities are never a bad thing.

But again, from how many times I've seen flush young technoboys buy and then 6 months later sell expensive fancy gear, I wouldn't start that cycle until I was at least genuinely in the game. At least then it will be that year's hot item not already 2yrs old.

Last edited:
This is a no-brainer unless the ~$350 difference between the Petrel and whatever else you'd get would restrict your purchase of other gear/diving. The point in getting the Petrel isn't so much that it'd be useful to you all the way through MOD3 CCR, but that it's a much better recreational computer than the other ones you listed at a relatively modest price increase. The Shearwater support/service factor cannot be overstated, either.

The DX is not a tech computer - it's an $1,100 marketing scam.

If you are certain you will get into tech diving, I recommend the Petrel (from Shearwater Research, not Shearwood, by the way) without a second thought. It has everything going for it. Ease of use, nice to read display, adjustable to whatever conservatism or type of diving you want, replaceable batteries. Even for tech diving, I find it much better than my original tech diving computer (Mares Icon HD). In addition, I can tell you that the people I know personally and the people I've seen talking on the internet that own the previous model (the Predator) are still very satisfied with it and don't seem to feel it has become outdated since the Petrel was launched. That indicates the Petrel should also be considered very good even after a new model is released.

On the other hand, if you feel you make take long until the more advanced features of the Petrel become useful and that you'd much rather by then acquire the newest model, buying a very simple computer now, that can be put into gauge mode, would not be a bad idea, considering you could use it with a future tech computer. In this case, though, you would have to settle on not diving with a good dive computer until you become a tech diver (if you indeed decide to use a computer when you become a tech diver).

Get a cheap computer which can be used in gauge mode for now. You don't know where you will be in 2 years or exactly what diving of diving you may decide to move into. Gear can change a lot in 2 years and what is "best" right now may not be later.

Buy two cheap computers with gauge mode. Then you can use them for tec dive in the future. But you do need to invest on a suitable soft ware and a slate.
What a pity that Zoop has no gauge mode!!
Alternatively, buy a Zoop now and then two Uwatec bottom timers + soft ware for tec dive in the future.
And if you follow GUE/UTD philosophy, bottom timer is all you need for tec dive.
Hold on to your cash first and think carefully. Tec dive will burn a big hole in your pocket if you are not careful.

Good luck.

If it were me and money was better spent on other gear, then I would get a simple nitrox computer that can be used in gauge mode.

You will want a bungee mount for these.
Hollis DG02 Digital Bottom Timer and Nitrox Computer | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
DG03 Dive Computer and Digital Gauge by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express

Although for $500 the Hollis is a trimix comp and comes with all cabling and software.
Hollis TX1 | He Trimix Dive Computer - Dive Gear Express

Then again for just a little more...Petrel
Petrel Dive Computer by Shearwater Research - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom