Suunto s7 retractor model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zznola

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im shopping for my first compass and found the Suunto s7. Read a review somewhere that said retractor broke and couldn't be replaced. Poster said he had to buy new unit. .
Has anyone elses retractor failed for them?

Also been looking at the $30 less wrist model. Not sure Ill like it on my wrist but I could just try it. If not, couldn't I just hook it to my own separate retractor?

Or should I just go for what I know ill like, right out of the box with no separate rigging, regardless of the extra $ and the comments?

It's probably one of the best compasses out there, I and many others prefer the bungee wrist mount.

Stay away from anything on a retractor, they are guaranteed to fail, and usually pretty quickly. It's a great model of compass, so find one with a good mount (wrist of console if you use one)

Also been looking at the $30 less wrist model. Not sure Ill like it on my wrist but I could just try it. If not, couldn't I just hook it to my own separate retractor?

Why would you not try the cheaper wrist-mount version? You can use it without losing the use of your hand for more important things (imagine using a wristwatch on a retractor). If you don't like it you can use your own retractor, replace it whenever it breaks, and still be ahead money-wise.

Last edited:
Sure, That's the way I'm leaning, it's just that I get a comfort out of using the item the way it was supposed to, right out of the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a suunto sk7 on a hammerhead retractor, so far no problems with it. The retractor seems robust and easy to replace. I prefere to have the compass on a retractor, since a) the wrist is allready crowded with the computer and the dive watch, b) you don't need to take out the whole console when you need the compass and b) when you need the compass, just pull it out, look at it and drop it.

Back
Top Bottom