Oceanic VT 4.0 or similar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaNYC16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to make the switch to a hoseless computer without breaking the bank. This model was discontinued and replaced by 4.1 model. I can buy the 4.0 with transmitter for $600 which seems like a great deal. Any feedback would be great for this or suggestions for a decent computer for under $1,000 with transmitter. Thanks!

I use the older VT3 and like it fine for what it is; pressure, depth and NDL on my wrist, logs the dives if I need it. I also use an Atomic Cobalt for the great interface. With the VT3, I have to break out the manual to change settings like time and so forth; it's not intuitive. The VT4 is newer tech., so maybe they made some improvements?

The VT4 should be powerful and serviceable for your needs, and have a user replaceable battery (factor in whether it comes with the PC download cable, or you might be paying more than you think), but I'd put some thought into interfaces. Problem is, some of the slicker new color color units have issues with battery consumption, and they do cost money.

What kind of diving do you do?

Richard.

Recreational, nothing too hard core. Have AOW and nitrox and do some deep diving too.

I've been diving a VT3 as my primary computer for four years, 414 dives, absolutely no problems and easy battery change. I dive a Geo2/SPG backup, have not needed them to date. I've been diving Oceanic computers since 1999, I do not have the problems with the interface that others report.

It is my impression that the only major difference between the 4.0 and the 4.1 is deletion of the buddy pressure check function, there my be other changes I'm unaware of. The VT4.1 lists for $1100, Oceanic currently has a trade-in deal for a 20% discount, $880. $600 seems to be a pretty good price for a VT4, it should come with both the download cable and OceanLog software.

There are quite a few hoseless AI computers out there, I'm not sure you can get a better price than the one you shared, you sure can pay a lot more.

Good diving, Craig

I've got a VT4.0 and like it a lot especially when coupled with a good logging program (I use MacDive). Another older model that's available on Ebay (thanks to whoever posted this about a month ago):

New in The Box Aeris Epic Wrist Dive Computer Complete with Transmiter | eBay

I bought the Ares Epic from Ebay and have dived a few dives with it. It works fine, comes with download cable and transmitter. The Epic is on a par with the VT4.0 and appears to use the same transmitter. The thing I like about the Epic, is it's also a watch. Either one will be a good functional computer for you.

Jim

I have a VT4 and have had no issues so far. I find the menu's pretty easy to navigate and the battery life is great. It does drop the wireless transmitter several times during a dive but only when I'm doing something that involves my arm being at its greatest distance from my first stage. Syncs up again very quickly though. I use MacDive as well and the two work very well together.

Jim you might be able to answer a question for me; when I set the oxygen % in my VT4 for nitrox, is there a way for MacDive to sync this info? I usually end up editing the dive afterwards and changing the mix. Seems like a piece of info the VT4 should sync with MacDive.

I'm 99% sure the menus on the VT4 are akin to the Atom 3.0's. I used to have an Atom 2.0 and like Richard said, I'd have to break out the manual when I needed to change settings. I could never remember how they worked after a little time away from it. Not so with the Atom 3.0. Nothing incredible, but much more intuitive UI that I can quickly figure out even after a good amount of time away from it. The VT4 should be the same and I bet it's a great computer.

I dive the VT3 and enjoy it. I have also lost the transmitter connection only a hand full times. I recommend clipping off a SPG on a 24" hose on your left side D-ring. This way you never have to call a dive because you did not know how much air you have.

I'm not sure if you're interested, but my husband and I are selling our two VT3 computers/transmitters for $300 each. But, we would be willing to take $500 for both. They've been used on less than 30 dives and work amazingly! But I'm in grad school and we're expecting our first future diver soon, so would like to sell what we can't use for awhile. If you're interested, you can text 8123456121. We'll accept PayPal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom