Troubling D4i Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've had a D4i for about six months and have about 50 dives on it.

On July 25 I was on my second dive of the day. The dive commenced at about 11:05 AM. The D4i operated normally and displayed the proper depth, dive duration, etc., and did the normal safety stop countdown.

However, when I went to enter the dive in my logbook, it was completely missing from the dive computer log. Only the first dive of the day was displayed.

A few minutes later, I looked again and found that the second dive was displayed, but the start time and duration were both incorrect. The D4i showed a start time of 12:18 PM and a duration of 48 minutes. I copied this information into my logbook.

A few minutes later, I looked again and found that the correct times were displayed. I corrected my logbook based on the new information.

When I put the D4i in dive mode for dive #3, I noted that both the Surface Time and No Fly Time displayed as zeroes. Not comforting.

I had no trouble on the six dives after that.

When I got home, I transferred the dives to Subsurface on my Mac. I was alarmed to see that the second dive of July 25 was not transferred. Same with Suunto's wonderful DM4 software.

I manually checked the D4i and found that the second dive of the day is again completely missing from the computer.

I hesitate to dive with a computer that malfunctions in this way. Certainly, tissue gas saturation calculations cannot be correct if the computer “thinks” that a dive is your first of the day when you have actually done several.

I sent an inquiry via email to Suunto a couple of days ago, but have yet to hear from them.

I'm not diving again until October so I'm hoping there's time to get this sorted….

Suunto D4i.jpg

I've attached a libdivecomputer dumpfile in .zip format.

Attachments

• dump.bin.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 34
I sent the D4i to Suunto, per the dealer's instructions. They returned it to the dealer and told him that they had replaced the memory chip and the battery. It seems to me that I got a whole new computer as the serial number is different and all the settings are back to factory default. Plus, there is one "sample" dive in the logbook.

Weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom