would this work to detect CO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Could you put a home CO detector into a plastic bag and vent gas from a tank into the bag directly onto the detector and detect CO? If not - why?

nope
CO detectors are based on concentration over time, so while they may be able to detect the ppm of CO it won't display the number or go off at a set ppm. Proper CO testers are around $150, so you're not going to save a whole lot with a hosehold one that has to be plugged into wall power and doesn't have a flow measurement port.
Cabon Monoxide Scuba Tank Analyzer

.. so while they may be able to detect the ppm of CO it won't display the number or go off at a set ppm. ...

I'm confused. If they will indicate the presence of any CO why do I need a number? Also, mine runs off batteries, no electrical outlet needed. And It is quite a savings - ≈ $125 - for someone on a fixed income who wouldn't spend the $170+ for a "real" CO analizer that makes a big difference.

US and Canadian Standards for home CO detectors:

• Must NOT sound an audible alarm at 70 ppm or less for 60 minutes
  • Must NOT sound an audible alarm at 30 ppm for 30 DAYS
  • MAY NOT sound an audible alarm at 70 ppm for up to 4 hours, [240 minutes]
  • ALL UL-2034 / CSA-6.19 C O alarms are “Tested” only at 70, 150 and 400 ppm
  • The Standards state that 70 ppm can be +/-5 ppm; therefore the LOWEST LEVEL that a UL-2034 / CSA-6.19 C O alarm MUST BE TESTED is 65 ppm.

They certainly do not detect at a level low enough that is appropriate for breathing gas.

CO-Pro detectors. $8, reusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what was said above. Unless you are filling tanks in your garage with a gas powered compressor, CO is really not anything worth worrying about

what was said above. Unless you are filling tanks in your garage with a gas powered compressor, CO is really not anything worth worrying about
You may wish to read some of the threads relating to CO. CO is something to worry about regardless of the source.

professional fill stations have to submit gas for analysis yearly to stay compliant and included in that is a CO measurement from the gas. Most things don't change, and with the amount of tanks that get filled yearly without CO testing each time I'm not worried about it. With one of the places I get fills the intake can be near exhaust from trucks if they are backing in so we don't run the compressor while the trucks are anywhere near the intake.

For a diver that isn't filling his tanks at a personal fill station and is getting it filled at a shop, I really wouldn't be concerned. If you are, then you shell out the $150-$200 for a CO analyzer and analyze your tanks. I built one into my O2 analyzer and it gets out both of the percentages so it isn't any extra work for me but I have yet to find anything in commercial fill stations above 5ppm which is well below the limit. I have a sensor on there because I have a gas powered RIX so I want to make sure that the intake despite being quite far away from the exhaust is not sucking anything in.

My point with that statement was the odds of you finding a level of CO that is above what is considered "normal limits" in a commercial filling station is extremely low to the point that while I always analyze my gas for O2, unless I have my analyzer with me, I don't usually worry about CO, nor do most divers

For reference, I believe current limits are 5ppm in Canada, 10ppm in US, and 15ppm in UK. I try to make sure everything is <5ppm since that is what the old standard was.

professional fill stations have to submit gas for analysis yearly to stay compliant and included in that is a CO measurement from the gas. Most things don't change, and with the amount of tanks that get filled yearly without CO testing each time I'm not worried about it. With one of the places I get fills the intake can be near exhaust from trucks if they are backing in so we don't run the compressor while the trucks are anywhere near the intake.

For a diver that isn't filling his tanks at a personal fill station and is getting it filled at a shop, I really wouldn't be concerned. If you are, then you shell out the $150-$200 for a CO analyzer and analyze your tanks. I built one into my O2 analyzer and it gets out both of the percentages so it isn't any extra work for me but I have yet to find anything in commercial fill stations above 5ppm which is well below the limit. I have a sensor on there because I have a gas powered RIX so I want to make sure that the intake despite being quite far away from the exhaust is not sucking anything in.

My point with that statement was the odds of you finding a level of CO that is above what is considered "normal limits" in a commercial filling station is extremely low to the point that while I always analyze my gas for O2, unless I have my analyzer with me, I don't usually worry about CO, nor do most divers

For reference, I believe current limits are 5ppm in Canada, 10ppm in US, and 15ppm in UK. I try to make sure everything is <5ppm since that is what the old standard was.
Take a look at this thread:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...-bad-air-originating-tank-not-compressor.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom