Help me out here...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snickerdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband wants a dive computer and I think it'd make a fabulous anniversary/birthday/surprise present. He just got his AoW cert, is working on Nitrox, and is planning on leaving here an assistant dive master so he's in this for the long haul.

That said, I'm not sure I'm willing to spend more than $1,000 on ones he was looking at just yet. Maybe later but for now, I'm looking more in the $500-600 area. Are there ones you guys recommend? Or recommend to avoid?

I'm just getting back into diving after a long hiatus so I'm a bit out of touch as to what's good and what's not. Appreciate any/all help! :kiss2:

Hi,
There are some question's left to answer here. What's the plan in diving? Just recreational with Nitrox, or are there possibilities of more technical diving in the future?
For just recreational diving, any Nitrox capabele will suffice and for a lot less money than you're prepared to spend. And does he want a wrist mounted one or one in a console? Should it be air integrated ?
As brands differ over the world it's hard to know what's available at your place.
So think about these basic question's first and than you'll get a more to the point answer..

Sorry, I completely spaced! I think he's wanting wrist mounted. As for long term, I think tech diving is a possibility but I'm not 100% sure. He has a plan but he's not really shared that in detail with me because he's been deployed so haven't had a lot of chance to talk diving. :)

And hey, if it's cheaper, I'm all for that too! :wink:

If you want one just for diving and not using it as a watch too (or be a show of :) ) I'd say a Suunto Zoop or Vyper air would be fine. A bit bigger the Mares Nemo wide or the Scubapro Alladin Square. Then there are the more watch like computers like the Mares Puck, Suunto D4, Scubapro Meridian ( different types). These are all good, easy to handle computers. If you want air integration, that ads something to the bill. I have it, but is it useful, hm... It's easy because I don't have to look at my spg to know how much is left, but I like redundancy, so I carry the spg anyway.
Of course there are machines out there in the higher price range, but do they ad useful functions at this time? Probably not and if over time after say 300 dives there is "need" use this one as a back-up.

He's got a fairly nice watch so this is strictly for diving. Not sure how he feels about air integration, he hasn't said to me one way or the other.

But sounds like I have some comparing to do so thank you!!

There's been a recall already on the Square and it's a fairly new computer so IDK about that one...

What you could also do is buy any number of computers that can do Air Integration without the transmitter then add it later if wanted.
Transmitters typically run in the $3-400 range.

An additional charge for many is the download cable. They make them just proprietary enough to be able to rip you off for another $80-100.

Suunto's Vyper Air or D4i/D4i Novo are options in your price range without transmitter. The Novo is a slightly newer model with the cable included - for $75 more...lol.
Suunto dives a slightly more conservative algorithm than other brands - some people don't like that if they're pushing the limits on all their dives as they'll have to come up earlier.

Note that the Vyper Air also does Nitrox. IDK why they call it that. The Suunto Transmitter is $350 if you decide to add it later. A D4i is about the size of a fat wristwatch.

Suunto Vyper Air Wrist Computer with USB, Wrist unit only at LeisurePro
Suunto D4i Wrist Computer Black at LeisurePro
Suunto D4i Novo Wrist Computer with USB Cable at LeisurePro

I have a Gekko - predecessor to the Zoop. For the money it's a very capable computer and extremely easy to understand. Wireless AI is not an option.

If there's a little more room in the budget, a pretty good deal right now is the Oceanic VT 4.1 - it's a $1100 computer on sale for $800 with transmitter. VT 4.1 - Computers It will do technical diving if he later gets into that - although many people buy a $950 Shearwater Petrel when they do.

More of a strictly recreational model is the Sherwood Amphos. It's a fairly new model also so there's not a lot out on it yet. Leisurepro has it with the USB cable and Transmitter for $680 currently. Sherwood Amphos Air Computer With Transmitter & USB Cable at LeisurePro

Neither of these are wireless upgradeable:

There's also the Uwatec (Scubapro) Meridian. $529 in Black Tech, $479 in silver. I'm of the opinion that the black tech will likely scratch off under normal use.

Uwatec Meridian Wrist Computer, Black Tech at LeisurePro
Uwatec Meridian Wrist Computer, Silver at LeisurePro

Last edited:
I suggest you let him choose his DC himself.
There are so many out there and so many different tastes and flavours, you can impossibly find the exact model he wants without asking him (especially as you say he was looking in the $1000 range, so he might want a Petrel - hard to beat that choice :blinking: )
Getting him the wrong DC as a surprise might be a very frustrating experience for all involved.

If he's serious about tech, or if you want absolute top of the line, the Petrel might be the only way to go.

HOWEVER, it's drastically overkill for the VAST majority of divers. I mean, WAY too capable. Cheaper computers work just as well (some may say better) for a more recreational diver (as opposed to technical). My experience is to stay away from Suuntos. The way that they do their calculations is really goofy. The computers I've used and liked (both together being crucial) are actually on the lower end of the price scale. They do everything I need in recreational diving (and then some) but they don't have useless bells and whistles or the associated price tags. In so many things, simple is the way to go.

Having said all of that, the Hollis DG03 is a fantastic computer for the price. It doesn't have the best screen, and is a little goofy to use, but it comes with a "Quick Start" guide and good instructions and is simple once you get the hang of it. The Oceanic Geo 2.0 is more user friendly, better screen, but smaller. It's also more expensive. My wife dives it and ADORES it, you can't get her to get rid of it. It's "watch sized" (big watch) but we don't use it as a watch-replacement, just as a dive computer. I think those two are of the best computers on the market in that price range. These pale in comparison to the Shearwater Petrel, but they come with less than half the pricetag.

As for letting your SO choose for himself, that could go both ways depending on him....and you obviously (hopefully?) know him better than we do. I would not want my wife to buy me a dive computer unless she knew PRECISELY which one I wanted, but I'm super picky. I also enjoy doing the research (I'm a geek :D). My wife wanted me to get a list of good ones, and she'd pick hers after a brief explanation of pros and cons (and after she got to look at the pictures and prices).

As for features you want: Nitrox is a requirement, and you had might as well get one capable of 99% or 100% oxygen and at least 2 gasses (3 is easy to find for cheap as well). Not that he'll be using those soon, but the computer could become a good stop-gap if he decides to go tech. Wireless Air Integration (AI) is a feature some love. I feel it to be dangerous as it makes you complacent and trust your computer too much. It's also one more battery to keep up with, and one more thing to fail. Others love the ease of getting all of their information on one screen (time, temp, air, depth). Wireless AI will all have a higher cost associated with it, and the transmitters (that send the data) are expensive as well.....but it's worth it to some people.

Might not be the best thing to "surprise" someone with, since divers tend to have very specific preferences. But if you know he is OK with wrist mounted and doesn't care about air integration, it would be hard to beat the Petrel. An incredible tech diving computer, sure... but even if you never go beyond recreational diving, it's one of the best computers that I have ever seen, and $850 puts it in reasonable range.

-incredibly bright, organized and readable display, with "recreational mode" to simplify things when more info not needed
-user replaceable AA battery, which you can get anywhere in the world
-fantastic company with great tech support
-built like a tank
-extremely reliable bluetooth download feature
-no matter how far he goes in diving (tech, rebreather), he will never outgrow it.

If you do a search for "which computer" threads here, you will almost never find someone saying a bad thing about the Petrel, and plenty of glowing reviews...

If you do a search for "which computer" threads here, you will almost never find someone saying a bad thing about the Petrel, and plenty of glowing reviews...

You might see some rude comments about the people that recommend the Petrels, due to their price (which isn't that high, honestly). But yeah, nothing negative against the computers themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom