Suunto Vyper and Conservative Algorihtm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a wrist computer for recreational diving. I've read reviews on a number of them; the Vyper seems highly recommended, save for a conservative algorithm that some describe. Can anyone tell me if it is much different from other recreational computers, and how much of an impact that will have on my dive times. Thanks.

I owned a Vyper and it performed fine. The conservative algorithm never bothered me. It is not much different from my current Scuabpro/Uwatec Luna. I used it in the Maldives where we did up to 4 dives a day and a lot of those were below 120 ft. It never said: don't do this. Of course it makes you take stops, but that's what it's for. I gave it to my daughter because I couldn't see what I was looking at, getting older. My wife has a Gekko. she uses that for 10 years and over 1000 dives. No problems what so ever. That said we are rec divers, not tec divers. But I gather so are you..

I have found the following description of the Vyper's conservatism settings:

"Personal Conservative Factor setting: P0/P1/P2 – to make this dive computer progressively more conservative"

For those divers that have a Vyper, and comment that it is too conservative, did you have it set in the P0 or the P2 mode?

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 06:16 PM ----------

It seems that the Petrel vs Vyper thread is covering my question. The forum moderator should remove my thread (I would if I knew how).

FWIW When I dove a Vytec I would often set the RGBM value at 50%. That makes it a bit more liberal. The Vyper Air has the same feature. I would set P value at P0.

From the manual.

5.7.7. Setting the RGBM values
For certain divers and diving conditions, it may be desirable to set the attenuatedRGBM mode. The selection is displayed during the DIVE mode startup. The optionsare full RGBM effects (100%), and attenuated RGBM (50%).

We're debating that right now in this thread - Petrel vs. Vyper. Questions for you...

1.) Do you plan to do a lot of repetitive diving - such as on live-aboards, with 4 or 5 dives/day? This may be important it you intend to do repetitive deep diving.

2.) Is your gas consumption rate (SAC) pretty good, or so you dive with a big tank (e.g.: 120 cf steel) such that you can often stay down so your dives are NDL limited?

3.) If you learn later that a Suunto has been cutting a few minutes off your NDLs, compared to an Oceanic model, will you resent that?

4.) Will you be diving almost exclusively with another Suunto user?

5.) Are you likely to be paired up with 'insta-buddies' or others with more liberal computers, especially on vacation dives?

If you do a forum search for 'Suunto Oceanic Liberal Conservative Algorithm' you will probably pull up some threads where this issue is argued at length. Some people think the difference are quite minor, and others disagree.

Richard.

The Suunto RGBM penalizes short surface intervals (< 120 min) , deep after shallow dives and rapid ascents. If you are aware of these facts and adjust you dive plans accordingly I am sure it will serve you well for recreational diving.

We're debating that right now in this thread - Petrel vs. Vyper.
Questions for you...
1.) Do you plan to do a lot of repetitive diving - such as on live-aboards, with 4 or 5 dives/day? This may be important it you intend to do repetitive deep diving.
My wife has a Gekko. So I answer for her: yes we do a lot of repetitive diving on liveaboards.

2.) Is your gas consumption rate (SAC) pretty good, or so you dive with a big tank (e.g.: 120 cf steel) such that you can often stay down so your dives are NDL limited?
My SO uses very little air. She can stay down for ever. To keep up with her, I use a 15L tank while she uses an 11 L

3.) If you learn later that a Suunto has been cutting a few minutes off your NDLs, compared to an Oceanic model, will you resent that?
She has used the Gekko now for about 1000 dives, I never heard her complain, so I guess she is happy with it.

4.) Will you be diving almost exclusively with another Suunto user?
No she dives with me. I don't have a Suunto,

5.) Are you likely to be paired up with 'insta-buddies' or others with more liberal computers, especially on vacation dives?
Only when she was DMming she dove with others, but I never perceived that to be a problem.

If you do a forum search for 'Suunto Oceanic Liberal Conservative Algorithm' you will probably pull up some threads where this issue is argued at length. Some people think the difference are quite minor, and others disagree. Richard.
We are experienced divers, though rec divers, it never came up as being an issue. We do around 100 dives per year and do up to 4-5 dives per day and this really never was a problem.

drrich2 - I usually do 2 dives per day for wrecks at 60' - 90' depths. If I'm reef diving in the Caribbean, it could be 3 or 4 dives per day. I recently started diving with a steel 100 to get some more bottom time, but I'm still not limited by NDL. Perhaps for the depths and bottom times that I dive, the conservatism of the Vyper is a non-issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom