Help Choosing My First Computer?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddville393

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm taking the plunge and buy my first set of gear and I need help selecting my Computer. I want a computer that is Air Integrated. I'd like to keep it at $500 and under. I only dive once or twice a month. Mostly lake dives and the occasional trip to the ocean. I have no intentions of ever going any deeper than 120ft. I like wrist mounted setups but only if they're air integrated which goes without saying hoseless. I want to dive with Nitrox so the computers EAN capabilities are a big consideration for me.

I want to purchase through Leisure Pro so I can do a package deal, but if they don't carry it doesn't rule it out.

The 2 I'm really considering are either the Mares Puck Air w/Compass ($350) or the Hollis DG03 w/Transmitter ($500), or the Tusa Zen Air w/Transmitter ($540) but I'm definitely open to others.

Thanks for the advice and Dive Safe.

Last edited:
The DG03 gets good reviews here. It also has gauge mode should you decide to go into Tech. And then it would make a great backup to your Shearwater Petrel.

I'm taking the plunge and buy my first set of gear and I need help selecting my Computer. ......
Please take a look at our Dive Computer Research Tool

.......I want to purchase through Leisure Pro ......
If you buy a dive computer that we support, LP will send you a free Activation Code for the model-specific online specialty class.

Whatever dive computer brand / model you end up purchasing. make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Now I'm thinking about getting a Sherwood Wisdom 3 w/compass and QD. LP has it for $590.

Well, if you get an AI wrist unit, your gas pressure (& perhaps estimated gas time remaining) will be on your wrist, easy to glance at.

With a console, you don't need to mess with a transmitter battery change on occasion and the display's bigger and easier to read.

I dive with a console (Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 1) and wrist unit (Oceanic Worldwide VT3) and like each for different reasons. Love the Cobalt's interface, built-in rechargeable battery and huge dive log capacity. Like the VT3's putting info. on my wrist for a glance; very convenient.

Richard.

Mare Puck Air
Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus 3
Sherwood Wisdom 3
Aeris Atom AI
Suunto Cobra

What's the best of those? They're all in my price range =<$600.

you're clearly not listening to the vast amount of suggestions you've had on here, so you can make your own choice. You're adamant about wanting to go with Leisure pro for what is not the best bang for your buck decision despite your "package discount" . Hollis DG03 with transmitter and free dry box from DiveGearExpress is $500, it's a better computer than all of the ones above, you've been told that by many people.

Not mention that you should have an analog SPG as back up to any transmitter. That's just common sense. If your transmitter battery dies your diving is over. Even if the computer is still working. I'd love to know who is doing your instruction and what they are telling you about gear. :shakehead:

Well now that I think when I fly somewhere I will rent gear and if I get a DG03 I could take it with me and still be able to log my dives even on rented gear just won't have the AI feature. That would be kinda cool cause I'm pretty adamant about keep my logs straight. What about the Sherwood Amphos Air? LP has a deal going right now where you get the transmitter and usb cable free with the computer and it's $680. Is that worth it over a DG03 or not?

"Best" is so subjective. So I will be also.

I don't like the Puck - or any single button computers. For me that rules out some of your other options also.

The Oceanic or the Aeris use a more liberal algorithm.

Aeris makes an AtMOS - Oceanic makes an AtOM. If you can get an Atom 3.1 with transmitter for under $600 please post where as I know someone that wants one. The Atmos AI with the side mounted compass seems awkward to me in terms of stowing it while diving. Even routing since the hose comes out the side so it's going to have to loop around somehow (under your arm?). I like computers/consoles that are in-line so they can be clipped off straight down the left side.

I know nothing about the Wisdom.

The Suunto uses a more conservative algorithm. As an occasional diver that's not a bad thing for you.

If you're buying from LP, be aware that the Suunto (distributed by Aqualung in the U.S.) will have their LP equivalent warranty and not Aqualung's.

Hard to get warranty service outside of sending it to LP in NYC - or paying for it yourself.

From your list my choice would be the Oceanic or the Suunto. Again it's all subjective.

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2014 at 11:24 AM ----------

Well now that I think when I fly somewhere I will rent gear and if I get a DG03 I could take it with me and still be able to log my dives even on rented gear just won't have the AI feature.
You can also take the appropriate hex key and your transmitter and swap it onto the rental - with permission of course. Might take all of 2 minutes. Some lower-end like the Scubapro MK2 only have one HP port though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom