Is a Dive Computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carter21

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently just got certified and was wondering how necessary a computer is. Should I just rent? I plan on visiting Hawaii, hoping to get at least 6 dives in. I don't know if I'll be diving regularly or just on vacay. I was looking at the Oceanic Geo 2.0, it's so pretty but a bit too expensive. Any thoughts?

Computer is very recommended if you don't like to use tables.
I bought computer after mask and fins.
With rent computer you might have issue how to manage it. If you are not sure about your future diving, you can just buy now simple computer less than $300, or even less.

Look for a thread in the classified section, its hard to go wrong at $135 but they are sold now. The Zoop has a number of 'review' posts on these boards. Another low end option is Mares Puck they can be found on-line for about $180 new.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...lyzers/489119-3-yellow-suunto-zoops-sale.html
Mares Puck Air / Nitrox Computer 414117 with reviews at scuba.com

And to comment on the question, its not necessary... but I wouldn't dive without one for deeper and repetitive dives it gives more accuracy on your deco state and generally allows for longer dives and/or shorter surface intervals. Often if you are on a commercial dive they will want to minimise the SIT on a two dive trip so they can get back to base and take the next group. In my experience they will require each diver to have a computer.

The dive computer is not necessary, it is an equipment solution to a skills problem. You would be safer learning how to use the tables properly rather then depending on the computer. The US Navy tables will give you less bottom time because there is a larger safety margin built into them. The computer has narrower safety margins that are mathematically correct for the person they were created for but if you do not fit that persons profile you may be putting yourself at risk. Also if it fails you are lost without knowing the tables.

As a new diver it is likely your dives will be limited by air rather than no deco limits. For new ow divers if an op says you must have a computer ask them why. They should not be taking you on dives where your ndl's are a factor anyway. If they are, they are putting you at unnecessary risk.

The problem is going to be that most dive operators in Hawaii conduct guided dives that are not a square profile, making using tables difficult, but Jim is correct in that your air will most likely be the limiting factor.

Can you drive a car without the speedometer? Yes. Should you? Can you fly a plane without altitude meter? Yes. Should you? Yes it is important to learn tables and I also agree that the first few dives need to be worked on the table but I would not say that we don't need a computer. I did the first few dives of my life without a computer and it was really hard to buddy up. Everyone on the boat was diving computers and it was hard to find a dive buddy who was on tables. When I did pair up with divers I was surfacing before them most of the time. Major PIA. So yes if you plan on doing this then you need a dive computer. Do a poll on scubaboard if you may. Ask all these guys who dive frequently, how many of them do not own a dive computer and I bet you you will be hard pressed to find anyone.

Computers are not necessary, but are recommended. If you use your tables correctly you will be diving very conservatively, and be safer. However, as the others in this thread have said, as a new OW diver, your SAC rate will be your limiting factor. When I first started my SAC rate was in the upper 20's to low 30's. My dive buddy used to call me J. Edgar Hover, because I sucked a tank dry in very little time, now my SAC is about 11 give or take depending on conditions, depth, level of activity etc... As your SAC rate improves and you begin to dive deeper and longer, and if you decide diving is for you, then you may want to invest in a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom