Want a dive computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WizardTrips

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In any definition I am a pretty new diver (with all of 14 dives under my belt) but I am hooked!

I would like like a watch dive computer with all the general functions as I am not yet into super advanced stuff. Maybe a dive computer good for noobs with a generous amt of room to grow with all the standard features.

I want one special feature. I go to log my dives and I see all this technical data and the completionist in me wants to fill it all in but I do not know the answers and it ends up looking haphazard which leaves me unhappy. Also sometimes things are going on and I forget to get the details and the dive leader has disappeared. I think if I had a function to download to my iPad I would be so much happier. Just the less super technical data it can add for me the happier I will be.

Thanks!

Non air-integrated, Geo 2.0. Air-integrated, Atom 3. Did you look at those?

Cheaper, grab an old Dg03 at DiveGearExpress. More puck than watch.

I didn't give all the options, but those are some to look at. Sounds like you want a computer that lets you download dives from the computer to your personal computer.

Perhaps DiveNav's Dive Computer Buddy would be of interest to you. The DiveNav site is also good for comparing features across varied dive computer models.

Richard.

Interesting. So once I select my watch/dive computer I use the DiveNav's Dive Buddy in order to connect the two?

---------- Post added August 30th, 2014 at 04:32 PM ----------

How important is air integration?

---------- Post added August 30th, 2014 at 04:35 PM ----------

And is the air integration the feature the feature that allows you to find your dive buddy if separated and do they also need the expensive watch or is there a Bluetooth dongle sort of thing?

You don't need a Dive Buddy, but might like one. I haven't used it. A number of computers use a download cable/kit that tends to run around $100 to hook to your desktop PC, and some setups include it, some don't. Be careful about that.

Air integration means the computer follows your gas supply and displays it. Having this on your wrist to glance at is handy. It does involve putting a transmitter on your 1st stage (regulator), and does add expense. But it may also conveniently log your start & end gas pressures for your dives, which I like.

Some people consider air-integration irrelevant, some consider it neat but unessential, some like it a lot, and you'll see this debating on ScubaBoard again and again. Sometimes a transmitter may lose connection, usually very briefly, and having a regular SPG along as a backup is not a bad idea, just in case.

Finding a lost buddy via the computer is not air integration. You're probably thinking on a computer called the LiquiVision Lynx. Expensive, you both need to be using one, from what I have read batteries can be expensive, the tray for the rechargeable one seems to look a bit fragile to some people from what I've read, and while it otherwise sounded like a sweet (expensive) system, I'd do some reading on battery cost, duration & odds of using a rechargeable eventually breaking something before I bought one.

Richard.

for a watch style daily wear, D4i Suunto, or non air integrated a Uwatec Meridian.

The D4I Novo comes with the download cable also. I think that's about the only functional difference. Although it's about 10% higher and the cables run about $80 - you do the math...

Check into iOS software for your iPad also. I think you'll find most require a PC/Mac to first download the data then it can be transferred to the iPad. MacDive is one that has a iOS app for the iPhone/iPad and that's how it works. I think MacDive and MacDiveLog are the only two Mac programs generally in use.

If you've got $800 there's a really good deal on an Oceanic VT 4.1 right now. It's an $11000 multi-transmitter (multi-gas) computer that's also pretty easy to set up and use for recreational dives. Has a digital compass also. It has the dual algorithm so if your buddy is diving a more conservative computer like a Suunto, you can match his. It's not very watch-like though. The best part is now until 9/30 it's $800. http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/computers/vt-4-193/ It also comes with Diverlog - Mac download s/w. Or Oceanlog for the PC.

An Atom 3.1 with the transmitter is $1000 list. The VT 4.1 is a more capable unit.

I think about the best watch computer that actually might be mistaken for an expensive watch - instead of a dive computer masquerading as one inviting comments - is the Suunto D6I in stainless. The D4I is a little thick but you could mistake it for a Casio G-Shock. D9I if you can afford it...

Last edited:
The D4I Novo comes with the download cable also. I think that's about the only functional difference. Although it's about 10% higher and the cables run about $80 - you do the math...

Check into iOS software for your iPad also. I think you'll find most require a PC/Mac to first download the data then it can be transferred to the iPad. MacDive is one that has a iOS app for the iPhone/iPad and that's how it works. I think MacDive and MacDiveLog are the only two Mac programs generally in use.

If you've got $800 there's a really good deal on an Oceanic VT 4.1 right now. It's an $11000 multi-transmitter (multi-gas) computer that's also pretty easy to set up and use for recreational dives. Has a digital compass also. It has the dual algorithm so if your buddy is diving a more conservative computer like a Suunto, you can match his. It's not very watch-like though. The best part is now until 9/30 it's $800. VT 4.1 - Computers It also comes with Diverlog - Mac download s/w. Or Oceanlog for the PC.

An Atom 3.1 with the transmitter is $1000 list. The VT 4.1 is a more capable unit.

I think about the best watch computer that actually might be mistaken for an expensive watch - instead of a dive computer masquerading as one inviting comments - is the Suunto D6I in stainless. The D4I is a little thick but you could mistake it for a Casio G-Shock. D9I if you can afford it...

Wow, they've gone up a bit recently:D

If memory serves, Oceanic's been known to do some Black Friday specials; wasn't getting the transmitter free the big deal last year? We're close enough to November that if I wanted one I'd be tempted to wait it out.

On the issue of a 'watch,' while wrist units are nice (whether watch style or puck style), do you really want to wear such an expensive 'watch' in daily use, banging it around, running down the battery, etc...? And some people find larger displays easier to read.

On ScubaBoard I've noticed people often ask about a 'watch' computer, but I suspect for most people, in practical use, the puck approach (e.g.: Oceanic VT 4, the DG03) is just fine.

Richard.

P.S.: Just realized Diver Steve's post on the VT 4 included transmitter and download cable. I think I'd probably just buy that right now if I were in the market!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom