Looking for a computer I CAN SEE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Won't do me any good to buy a computer if I can't read the face, right? I'm leaning toward Scubapro Galileo Luna but someone suggested Liquivision. Liquivision looks more expensive and I don't have any reason to believe it's worth the extra $$$$.

Feedback appreciated!

Arguably the best computer on the market is the Shearwater Petrel, and it's in the same price range as the Galileo Luna. It has absolutely the best screen of any that I've used or played with.

If you're looking for cheaper, though, the Dive Rite Nitek Q is a decent computer with a decent screen. The biggest problem with that computer is a weird blur from the goofy frame rate if you move it at all. I would (did, and would again) pay the price difference and get the Petrel.

BTW, the reason I can't read stuff is because I'M OLD! :( I can't read s*&t without my reading glasses. I have a mask that has some magnification on the bottom but I don't ever use it cause I don't think it's very good.

I have +2.25 cheaters in my mask. I don't need them anymore since I've been diving with a Shearwater. I have a Predator, my wife has a Petrel. Mine does fine for what I want. You won't be disappointed.

If you want AI get the Liquivision Lynx if you do not want AI get the Petrel. I have dove both, and really liked both and I decided on the Lynx because I liked the AI.

Arguably the best computer on the market is the Shearwater Petrel, and it's in the same price range as the Galileo Luna. It has absolutely the best screen of any that I've used or played with.

Wow, called them up and am very impressed with their customer service! Costs more but so far I like the features.

I need glasses to type this but I can easily read my Predator underwater without magnification.

Are you married to the idea of a wrist computer? Because the two best I've ever seen for readability are the Oceanic Pro Plus 3 or the Atomic Cobalt 2 hosed AI computers. The Pro Plus 3 has the biggest numbers I've ever seen on a d/c.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocndmpp3cq/oceanic-pro-plus-3-with-compass-and-quick-disconnect

The Cobalt has the backlit OLED display and colored numbers that I could read from about 6' away watching the dealer demo it for someone else. I wear glasses also. It's a lot pricier than most of these others though.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-atmcblc2/atomic-cobalt-2-air-integrated-computer-console

Are you married to the idea of a wrist computer? Because the two best I've ever seen for readability are the Oceanic Pro Plus 3 or the Atomic Cobalt 2 hosed AI computers. The Pro Plus 3 has the biggest numbers I've ever seen on a d/c.

Interestingly, I just talked to Joe at SCUBAtoys, who I've bought from, and the Oceanic Pro Plus 3 is what he recommended. I've never used a computer before so I'm not married to anything. Given that I've never used one, are big numbers what is more important? I was looking for contrast from the number backgrounds to the numbers. That's why the SCUBAPro Galileo Luna looked good.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 03:25 PM ----------

He also said that's what he uses and it's the cheapest option thus far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom