Need suggestions about budget dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for budget dive computer. I have few list which available at local shop and under my budget. (I set maximum budget at D4i Novo.)

1. Suunto Zoop - quite large (too large for my preference), no light, no gauge mode but cheap
2. Suunto D4i - perfect size but can't change battery myself. It would be better to get other model with same quality but cheaper.
3. Oceanic Veo 3.0 and Geo 2.0 - don't know for its size (never seen the real product), There are many posts/reviews about reliability and product quality issues (i.e. bought 6 units and malfunction 6 units same trip, some units consume more battery while some units don't, etc.) so I am reluctant in them.
4. UWATEC Aladin TEC 2G - no idea about this model but it is cheaper than D4i so it is just another option to me.

I prefer simplicity, easy to read dive computer with reliability and low maintenance. What dive computer do you suggest?

thanks,

Veo 180 NX-------200 bucks.....In USD, what is your budget????

I don't own a computer. I don't even have my OW cert yet (1 month to my class). But, I have been doing a LOT of reading on computers, trying to decide what to get for myself. So, all this is from what I've read, not personal experience:

The Suuntos use a very conservative algorithm compared to all the other brands of computers. I have decided to avoid any Suunto for this reason and for having read too many reports of problems with reliability and with uncaring customer service. But mainly for the algorithm. If I decide I'm always going to get out when my NDL gets down to, say 10 or 20 minutes, I would rather have a computer that lets me stay down longer and still get out with the level of conservatism that I choose. From what I have read, the Oceanic and Sherwood computers seem to allow for the most bottom time. And most of the Oceanic have a choice of 2 algorithms, one of which is more conservative than the other. And with either, you can still add in a "conservative factor" to make it even more conservative, if you want.

Also, the Zoop is a bigger size, as you said. Looking at it in person, it is bigger than what I want, too.

I think the Veo is a bigger computer - i.e. bigger than what you said you want. I think it's around the same diameter as a Zoop, but I think it's thicker, too.

The Geo is a nice wristwatch size. I haven't read about issues with reliability on the Geo, so of the ones you listed, it is probably what I would get.

However, other options I am looking at are:

Aeris Manta - $200. No gauge mode. No download. But, it's a nice wristwatch size. It supports Nitrox. Aeris, Oceanic, and Hollis are all part of one bigger company and I think the Manta has the same "less conservative" algorithm as the Oceanic computers. It comes in a lot of different colors. And it's only $200....

Aeris Epic - $385, including a wireless air integration transmitter. This appears to be the same as the older Oceanic Atom 2.0. I read a bunch of stuff with these having problems, including a voluntary recall from Aeris. My LDS says they have an updated model that they think has resolved the issues that the original ones had. I'm thinking of trying one of these just because the LDS said if I end up having a problem with it they will handle getting it fixed for me or they will give me a full refund on it. These were originally somewhere close to $1000. And it includes a wireless AI transmitter....

The Suunto D4i is $500. If that's your budget, you might also check out the Hollis TX-1, which is also $500. The TX-1 is a full-featured, tech-diving-capable computer. It supports wireless AI, if you want to also buy a transmitter ($750 for a package deal). It supports multiple gases, comes with a wrist strap and a bungee mount, supports Tri-mix gases (down to 7% O2/93% He), uses Buhlman ZHL-16C with Gradient Factors, and has a built in digital compass. It appears to be the same platform as the Oceanic VT4.1, but with more capable software. So, it's probably a bit bigger and bulkier than you're looking for. But, it seems like the most capable and feature-rich computer you can get for $500. Oh, and I think it comes with the USB cable, which a lot of computers charge an extra $100 for.

---------- Post added September 19th, 2014 at 11:02 AM ----------

I believe the Hollis DG03 is almost the same as the Veo 3.0 except is only has the buhlman algorithm and allows an additional gas. But for whatever reason, it can be found a lot quicker.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml

I have one but I only use it i gauge mode.

The DG03 is $250. But, with data cable and bungee mount, it's $370. At that price, I think I would probably go ahead and spend $500 for the Hollis TX-1, which comes with the cable and bungee mount and is, otherwise, a more capable computer. Notice, I said "probably". Since I don't think I'm actually going to buy either one, anything I would "probably" do is suspect right up until I swipe plastic. :)

The OP is based in Thailand and his option is probably quite limited.
Buying on line might incur hefty duty and freight charges.

UWATEC Aladin TEC 2G - no idea about this model but it is cheaper than D4i so it is just another option to me.

I prefer simplicity, easy to read dive computer with reliability and low maintenance. What dive computer do you suggest?

thanks,
The Scubapro/Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G is an excellent dive computer. It sounds like you are able to get it at a good price making it an exceptional value. You might want to give the Scubapro/SubGear XP-10 a look if it is available.

Both are easy to use & read, very reliable with a user changeable battery. The battery life is excellent (2-3 years or 200-300 dives).

Last edited:
Give me a break with the "Suunto is too conservative" business. Until you have actually dived it and felt that it impacted the enjoyment of your dive, don't comment. Many people have never run up against a Suunto making their dives less enjoyable. Others have. It depends on what your dives are like and whether staying down another 5, 10, 20 minutes or whatever would have made your happier. It is not something you can appreciate from reading on the Internet. I regularly dive for an hour on my Suunto and am usually not displeased to leave the water at that time. I sometimes get chilly or thirsty or bored or whatever before I run out of no-deco time. I will also add that some people might find comfort in the belief that the Suunto RGBM algorithm might keep them safer under some circumstance, and it is not my place to remind them there really isn't any data that would support such a belief.

yes, Suunto may be _more_ conservative. But that's not necessarily the same as _too_ conservative, which is a subjective thing people need to decide for themselves. A Suunto may or may not be the right computer for you for lots of reasons, but I'd take internet whining about them being too conservative with a grain of salt.

I'm lucky to be a fish so my diving is almost never limited by gas. If I do a lot of diving on air, NDLs will usually limit me some, but that's not always a bad thing. If I'm diving Nitrox, I have no problem doing 4-5 a day on a Suunto.

Back
Top Bottom