Galileo luna >>small air bubble inside the screen>> Defect? or...easy fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm checking an option to buy a used / only 20 dives Galileo luna ....
and Suddenly I've noticed that there is a small air bubble inside the screen?....it moves from corner to corner when I twist the screen ?.....
is it a defect in the screen ?

please advise ...
I read that in some cases , not all cases, it will vanish after one or two 100 feet dives .....?
2. I
s the bubble dangerous to the computer? and can damage it for the long run ?
The computer has authentic log book from day one ( 2011)...with no more than 17 dives! :
why does it actually happen ? the sealing quality of the computer on the front screen ? on the back/battery panel ?
I got an answer from scubapro that it can be fix easy ? what is the fix any one knows ? do they replace the screen ? or ...?

The computer is offered for a good price and looks new! - but there is no Invoice and if I'm going to buy it - as Used computer? I'll be the second hand ....
So I don't know yet what is the procedure in this case regarding Scubapro service / warranty?

what is your advise ?
the computer realy looks like new!

Bubble probably will not hurt anything and will not hurt the computer. The question is how you got it. Send it to Scubapro via your closest dealer and they will look at it and repair. Should be a warranty item.

If there's a bubble inside the screen (and not just under the rubber screen protector) then I would avoid it. I don't see any way for there to be a bubble other than water intrusion.

I mention the screen protector because there are two options that come with a Galileo. One of them is a stick on screen protector much like you'd have on a touch screen cell phone. It's just a thicker material since Galileo doesn't have touch functionality. As you probably know, bubbles are common in stick on screen protectors.

If there is a rubber screen protector on it then try pulling that off and getting a new one. Scubapro dealers sell them, and they're much easier than cell phone screen protectors to install.

If the bubble's inside the computer its-self, I would not buy it. There's someone selling a luna with a transmitter for $500usd on this forum. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...-hoseless-computer-including-transmitter.html . Used Luna computers come up fairly frequently in roughly that price range.

Bubble probably will not hurt anything and will not hurt the computer. The question is how you got it. Send it to Scubapro via your closest dealer and they will look at it and repair. Should be a warranty item.
That is the most strange thing here.
I looked at the computer 3 times. Day after day. The seller just just brought it back after flight / vication... With 2 dives.
The bubble is not something you can miss. Didn't see it at the first 2 times.... I'm almost positive.
And at the 3rd day suddenly I sow it. The seller claimed he never saw it before (20 dives in 3 years... Not that he actually used it yes?)

My main concern is what is the bubble made of?
The bubble actually looks more like small Air bubble... In some kind of a liquid.
LCD = are "liquid" crystal displays"
So maybe... Just annoying to see.... But not actually defect or damage

I already contact ScubaPro to see what they will say

Many thx all

Last edited:
I dive the Sol and when I first got mine it had a bubble in it. Are you at altitude? When I spoke with ScubaPro on this they explained that the Sol/Luna are oil packed inside and a small bubble (smaller than a pencil tip) is not uncommon. My bubble was about the size of a dime and according to them most likely developed as a result of the altitude I live and dive at.

The process to fix is sending it to ScubaPro and they will refil the computer with the oil inside. It took about a week for me to get mine back and even at altitude I now have no bubble in my display. If it is big enough to bug you send it in and have them fix it.

Best of luck

S

I dive the Sol and when I first got mine it had a bubble in it. Are you at altitude? When I spoke with ScubaPro on this they explained that the Sol/Luna are oil packed inside and a small bubble (smaller than a pencil tip) is not uncommon. My bubble was about the size of a dime and according to them most likely developed as a result of the altitude I live and dive at.

The process to fix is sending it to ScubaPro and they will refil the computer with the oil inside. It took about a week for me to get mine back and even at altitude I now have no bubble in my display. If it is big enough to bug you send it in and have them fix it.

Best of luck

S
Many thanks man!
That actually explains everything .

But still you have to wonder... does it mean that there is an oil layer? Between the LCD screen - and the external glass?
You should expect that the LCD will be glued to the external glass... No? Like in mobile etc.
Should give you a better and more clarity view of the information ... than through an oil layer. ... No?

Anyways... About the reason of this? Altitude actually means sea level? right?
I'm leaving near sea level ... but didn't dive with the LUNA yet.
It is funny that this actually happens in the place you should dive... And actually use the computer.

Btw... didn't find on google, any similar cases of this "phenomenon"... with other brandas

I dive at live and dive at 6500 feet above sea level. Scubapro said my bubble likely expanded as a rule of the lower pressure up here. I never dove it prior to having it fixed but I'm certain the bubble would have compressed wiphile diving.

my understanding is that the entire computer except for the battery compartment.

some dive computers are filled with oil. presence of an air bubble is either a manufacturing defect or indication that the computer is leaking oil. i would stay away from it. unless you know how to refill it...

filling the computer with oil means that it will not compress when underwater. this means the case does not have to withstand the water pressure at depth. this makes it very easy to use a large flat display without concern for the device imploding due to the large surface area.

Best of luck

S

After 3 or 4 weeks that the computer is at the closet.....the bubble shrank :)
first I didn't saw it.....had to look closely / turn it over etc

If at first the bubble size was about 1 mm~.....? now it is like 30% ~....tiny tiny
:)

I'm at living near the sea surface
so I'm not sure if it is actually a problem or not ?

:)

Back
Top Bottom