Suunto Eon Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Having myself just found out that Sunnto released their ned computer on 4th Oct I thought I'd highlight it here.

It's a full size wrist mount, colour screen Stainless Steel front and Glass composite rear. It comes as standard with a rubber protection boot, Wrist strap and bungee strap.

It is rechargable and according to the tests has 24- 30 hour dive time, with 4 hr recharge using USB lighting type connector. Also has user upgradable firmware. Apparently they are releasing (for free) the CCR software in 2015.

Full AI with up to 8 transmitters and 8 gas mixes

Clear colour TFT screen with wide angle viewing, Tilt compensated compass and 4 custom displays change by connecting to PC or Mac.

Apparently the D9tx is being discontinued next year leaving the D10 and EOS as their top range computers. They UK RRP is £795 for Unit alone, £920 for Unit with 1 Transmitter, and £250 for additional transmitters). I guess that discounts won't happen until it's been in the market place for some time.

Personally I'm quite excited by this as I am in the market for a full size wrist mount, and all the other units I'd seen either had poor battery life or were dot matrix and older technology. Finally I have one that ticks all my boxes now I just need to find stock and get 2 units in my sticky paws (live in UAE) before 14th Nov when I go on a dive vacation....

Once I've got it and used it I'll place a review, it did get a good in depth review in Sport Diver Magazine this month. Given it's Suunto I'm willing to trust that the 5 years of development wiil have made a stable platform.

There's a longish thread about the unit here. The fact that it presents itself as a technical dive computer, with support for mixed gases and CCR, but will completely lock the diver out for violating its schedule has been controversial.

I've got one pre-ordered. I've been nothing but happy with my HelO2.

I plan in DM4 software, and follow my computer since I don't want to get bent. The lockout has never been an issue for me. Conservatism on Suunto technical computers can be adjusted too.

I plan in DM4 software, and follow my computer since I don't want to get bent.
That's no guarantee. Knowing what you are doing (understanding DC theory) instead of trusting a piece of electronics might help though.

The lockout has never been an issue for me. Conservatism on Suunto technical computers can be adjusted too.
From conservative to even more conservative. If that works for you, fine. I want to be in control myself.

Please understand, if you like this computer go out and buy it! But please, never trust a piece of electronics totally. Trust on knowledge and understandig of the nature of things. That's what keeps you safe in the end.

AJ:
That's no guarantee. Knowing what you are doing (understanding DC theory) instead of trusting a piece of electronics might help though.

From conservative to even more conservative. If that works for you, fine. I want to be in control myself.

Please understand, if you like this computer go out and buy it! But please, never trust a piece of electronics totally. Trust on knowledge and understandig of the nature of things. That's what keeps you safe in the end.

Which is why I plan on DM4 software. Same algorithm as the computer. Better yet, you can download your plan to your computer too! The funny part too, is that HLPlanner prints a pretty close schedule with VPM-B.

You can set their technical computers to be LESS conservative too...most people don't realize this because the option is not available on their entry level computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom